Jem7V, Jem77B, or something else? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Jem7V, Jem77B, or something else?

I started playing guitar when I was 12 up until I was 16, and then I quit for 4-5 years and now I'm back in the market for a new guitar since I'm playing like a madman once again. I've always wanted to get a better Jem (I have a Jem555 that I bought when I was 14.... bleck...) but I'm not sure what to go for. I believe the only models they are manufacturing are the Jem7VWH and the Jem77BRMR (I'd rather a 6-stringer at the moment) and I can't find anything else about other Jems that are in production. I'd rather have something brand new as a treat to myself since I've always bought used guitars.

There seriously doesn't seem to be much difference between the Jem7V and the Jem77B except the bodies and pickups that they use (and the finish of course.) Excuse the stupid questions since I'm not really technical with guitar hardware (yet,) but is basswood (Jem77B) better than an Alder body (Jem7V)? The 77B has Breeds and the 7V has Evolutions and I'm not sure what the difference in that is either.

Basically, what would you prefer from a neutral point of view in regards to purchasing either the 77B or 7V? Would the 77B really be worth the extra 3-$400?

I'd also be interested in something else, but I don't think I could find a Jem that's brand new and that's just as good since the 77Bs and 7Vs are the only ones I see that are still readily available, (the 77B is harder to find, though.) and if so, I'd have to find somewhere on the internet to order from.

I'd also be interested in maybe getting a Jackson Soloist SL1, but I'm not sure if the neck is what I'd be after since I LOVE really thin necks and the Jems definitely have the really thin fast-action neck that I'm looking for.

If I could find a Jem somewhere that maybe doesn't cost as much as a 77B I'd probably go with that, but I won't count on it. And actually, I'd rather something besides a 7V because of the gold hardware and finish (I know, I know, it's what is on the inside that counts!) but I would really just rather something a little perdier (my opinion, of course) than the 7V; I'd be willing to get either the 77B or 7V though, and definitely the 77B ONLY if it is truly worth it.

One last thing: I live in Louisiana and there is a serious lack of music stores in the entire state, and even with the ones we have there isn't crap for crap in them. I went to C&M and Guitar Center recently and both of them didn't have a Jackson SL1 or any Jems, so trying out a Jem isn't going to be a possibility unless I take a bus to another state or fly somewhere; I've got a friend who has an SL1 and I'll try it out someday, but one thing is for sure: I'm going to be getting a Jem regardless. I would hate to buy one blindly so that's why I'm asking you guys.

Oh yeah, you know how I said I quit playing for 4-5 years at the beginning of this post?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Re: Jem7V, Jem77B, or something else?

I'd really like to check out a 7BSB, 7DBK and 7VBSL, but I really don't know if I could find one of these anywhere that are in near-mint condition at least. And I'm not sure what would be the best buy either. The 7BSB is amazingly gorgeous...... oh yezzzzz..........
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM

I have both the VWH and the Brmr and I prefer the tone and playbility of the Brmr.

Since Namm is getting so close, why don't you wait a little while and see what they have to offer as far as new models beofre you make your purchase.

2 - 20th RG models (DY and Roadflare Red)
A Jem 20th

and a New Jem model. (Black w/ Binding and Vine) - Breed pups.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
I have both the VWH and the Brmr and I prefer the tone and playbility of the Brmr.

Since Namm is getting so close, why don't you wait a little while and see what they have to offer as far as new models beofre you make your purchase.

2 - 20th RG models (DY and Roadflare Red)
A Jem 20th

and a New Jem model. (Black w/ Binding and Vine) - Breed pups.
I've actually never played an RG, but I know that they're really good and have a great price. I'm really after a Jem since I think they're a lot better. The 20th Jem model will probably cost 37 jillion dollars, but I'll see what the new Jem will be like; I'm not counting on it being cheap though
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thared33 View Post
I'm not counting on it being cheap though
Lol....for sure......no such thing as a cheap Jem
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Oh and it will defintely be after NAMM that I'll be getting my new Jem: I've got to save up for a bit and in the time that I'm saving, I'll be researching everything and find out what the best Jem would be. They're all really similar but the price is the thing that isn't similar.

I'm tired of my 555
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thared33 View Post
I'm tired of my 555
I take back my above statement saying there was no such thing as a CHEAP Jem

I don't blame you for wanting a REAL Jem!!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
REAL Jem!!!
You can sell me your 77BRMR for cheap if you want
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 AM

Cool Re: Jem7V, Jem77B, or something else?

It's not a Brmr!

It's a "V"rmr And no....it's NOT for sale It's the best playing, best sounding guitar I've ever had and I own 6 Jems and a IbanED!

Here......feel free to drool

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It's not a Brmr!

It's a "V"rmr And no....it's NOT for sale It's the best playing, best sounding guitar I've ever had and I own 6 Jems and a IbanED!

Here......feel free to drool

B*st*rd .

Regards

André

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 PM

Lol....I love inflicting pain

Thared hasn't replied. He must be too busy drooling
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Lol....I love inflicting pain

Thared hasn't replied. He must be too busy drooling
Actually, you're right: I'm looking around online for guitars; I'm looking at some Jackson Soloist SL1s right now. I'll have a Soloist some day, but I feel as if I need a Jem first.

By the way, how much did you pay for your "V"RMR?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Another question: does the rock mirror finish get dirty easily? If I do decided to go with it I wouldn't want it to look dirty all the time from just handling it (however that may be a good thing so I'd keep is immaculately clean) and I'm looking for a Jem that I'm actually going to PLAY and not just have around for looking nice and collecting purposes.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 05:10 AM

You might want to give an RG a play as well because the JEM neck profile isnt for everyone, you might like the RG profile better.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
now why is the playability different than the vwh ?

Tags
alder body , jackson soloist , jem neck , jem neck profile , music store , playing guitar , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in