Jem7V not staying in tune when using tremolo - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Jem7V not staying in tune when using tremolo

Hi,

I know that tuning problems are a fairly common problem, but I have one I don't seem to be able to fix...

If I do a dive bomb on the tremolo and then tune it, and then do another dive bomb, it will stay in tune no problem. However, if I then pull up on the trem, the all the strings have gone a little sharp. If I push down on the trem again, they go back to the original tuning. It's like the trem is getting stuck a little in whichever way I move it.

I've seen people write about this problem before, and one common cause seems to be worn bridge posts. However, I've changed mine (twice), to no avail. I've also lubed every moving part I can find, including where the strings pass over the saddles, but still no joy. New strings always behave the same as old, even after stretching.

I've even had a guitar tech do a full trem set on it, but still it behaves the same way.

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll have to swap the whole trem out...

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:58 PM

Re: Jem7V not staying in tune when using tremolo

Hi there,

I had the same problem with a JEM 77FP I purchased recently. It could be a few things, worn knife edges, loose posts in the body. I took mine to a tech and got new posts added and it sorted it out. The guitar plays like new now.

I'm not sure if it was just the posts, the whole trem got a good overhaul too. The tech I took it to was Max Cottam at Cottamguitars ( see banner ads on jemsite) . I would heartily recommend him, he knows Ibanez guitars forwards, backwards and sideways.

As you're based in the UK it would be well worth paying him a visit.

Last edited by nickster; 03-30-2010 at 07:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Jem7V not staying in tune when using tremolo

IBANEZ RULES (tech) on top of page.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. I spoke to Max, and he suggested fitting the locking grub screws to the trem posts, and he's sending me a kit to do it.

I had a look on Ibanezrules too, and it also suggests this as being a common problem with Edge Pro systems. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll have a go at filing the knife edges down, as that's one of the other common problems it seems.

Andrew
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Reviews: 18

Interesting, I take it the trem is level and not angled too far back or forward? Its pretty common for the strings to go out a little bit when using the whammy bar, I have an RG550 Reissue that will go out slightly when using the bar and will require me to "push down" on the bar again to return the strings to pitch. My knife edges and posts are in perfect condition and have no wear at all. It's really not a big deal for me cause the strings aren't drastically out of tune.. It just comes with the territory i guess.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Yep trem is level. I think it depends on the specific guitar, but mine goes out enough for me to hear it, which is why it's a problem. I've been getting round it by tuning to the "down" position, and making sure I push down after a pull up, but that's obviously not ideal.

It's worth a read through the stuff on ibanezrules, since some of these problems are actually caused by design flaws rather than wear - so even a brand new guitar could have trem issues.

Will be interesting to see how much difference the locking posts and / or knife edge filing make - I'll post back when I have news!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Could be that your spring tension is just a little off. Try loosening the springs a tad

Tags
jem7v , tremolo , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode