JEM7V - Sounding a bit... muddy - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

JEM7V - Sounding a bit... muddy

I've had a JEM7V for a while now. I got it from new.

The thing is, it seems to be sounding a bit... muddy.

This is in comparison to my other humbucker guitars: A Shadow super-strat type, PRS SE Torero and a PRS Custom 24. The Torero has been fitted with Gravity Storms.

I guess a good way of describing it is that the Tone on 10 on the JEM7V sounds like Tone half-way up on the other guitars.

I've heard good things about the Evolution pick-ups that are on this guitar, so maybe it is something else? Any hints and tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 12:49 AM

Re: JEM7V - Sounding a bit... muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcenary View Post
I've had a JEM7V for a while now. I got it from new.

The thing is, it seems to be sounding a bit... muddy.

This is in comparison to my other humbucker guitars: A Shadow super-strat type, PRS SE Torero and a PRS Custom 24. The Torero has been fitted with Gravity Storms.

I guess a good way of describing it is that the Tone on 10 on the JEM7V sounds like Tone half-way up on the other guitars.

I've heard good things about the Evolution pick-ups that are on this guitar, so maybe it is something else? Any hints and tips?
Might be dragging up a 6 month old thread, but there is something to discuss with this issue. Amazed that nobody has responded to this question really.

I think the muddy issue is a Dimarzio issue. That compression you get from Dimarzio and even Seymour can make the tone muddy. An external EQ can help a bit, as the tone can be a bit mellow at times.

Us mere mortals, probably play more rhythm than lead, where as Vai is the opposite. Evo's sound fine for lead, but not ideal for the power chord stuff. Dimarzio can't give the clarity that Bare Knuckle or other pickups winders can give.

Anyone change the Evo's for something else?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm going to cap this before it gets out of hand

I'd suggest that if an alder bodied, maple neck superstrat with an ebony fretboard is sounding 'muddy' when fitted with Evolutions, it'll be something other than a 'DiMarzio issue'...

There's a difference between compressed and muddy.

My stock 02 is one of the tightest, least muddy guitars I own. If yours sound muddy, it might be that there's an issue with the potentiometers or even a fault with the pickup itself. It might be worth taking it to a tech who can look into it properly if, like me, you're no good with a soldering iron...

Last edited by jono; 01-19-2014 at 10:53 AM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm going to cap this before it gets out of hand

I'd suggest that if an alder bodied, maple neck superstrat with an ebony fretboard is sounding 'muddy' when fitted with Evolutions, it'll be something other than a 'DiMarzio issue'...

There's a difference between compressed and muddy.

My stock 02 is one of the tightest, least muddy guitars I own. If yours sound muddy, it might be that there's an issue with the potentiometers or even a fault with the pickup itself. It might be worth taking it to a tech who can look into it properly if, like me, you're no good with a soldering iron...
So Jono, is that it.....case closed

I like my Jem7VWH, but the Dimarzio's are not for me. I am sticking in a pair of super clear, unmuddy Bare Knuckle pickups in there.

I'v just capped this bad boy.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post

I like my Jem7VWH, but the Dimarzio's are not for me. I am sticking in a pair of super clear, unmuddy Bare Knuckle pickups in there.

Evo's sounding muddy???? That's hilarious man.... It's one thing to say Dimarzio's are not for you, as tastes are subjective... but saying Evo's are muddy says to me that you may have never actually played a set of Evo's before, or something is very wrong with your wiring....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:

What will you do when your BKP's sound muddy too?...........

I just capped you...............
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
What will you do when your BKP's sound muddy too?...........

I just capped you...............
They don't sound muddy......ever.

Capped you back dude
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Seriously though, Darren, if you honestly think a JEM7VWH with Evos sounds muddy, you probably have a different definition of that sound when compared to most of the members on this site.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Seriously though, Darren, if you honestly think a JEM7VWH with Evos sounds muddy, you probably have a different definition of that sound when compared to most of the members on this site.
Seriously Jono, I am not stirring a pot here, but compared to the Bare Knuckle sets, there is a hint of compression. Clarity is the advantage of the Knuckle over Seymour and Dimarzio.

But having tweaked the 2K band on an external EQ, it does sound a fair bit better than straight into the amp. However, still not impressed with the neck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM

It helps if you can describe the sound more specifically, or define your terms more clearly. Muddy doesn't really mean anything to me, even though people like to use that a lot. Is there too much high end? Too much mids? Too compressed? Distorting when you want it clean? What is the amp? What is your signal path? Do you have a lot of buffered pedals? Do you have no buffer and a lot of true bypass pedals with a lot of cable involved? Everything in the chain affects the tone.

Try plugging straight into the amp with a short (less than 10 foot) cable. Does it still sound "muddy"?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:37 PM

My gripe with Diamrzio is the high gain nature of their pickups. It causes some compression in the tone. The Evo's sound a bit mellow in the higher side of the EQ. Pushing the 2K EQ band up, gives the tone more bite for me.

But then again, everyone sees these things differently, so don't be suprised if people want to swap out the Evo's.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:52 PM

If anything Evo's are notorious for very biting high end tone, especially the bridge, and are anything but mellow on the high end. The neck Evo, and I'm biased because it's my favorite neck pickup, is extremely clear and articulate even under high gain, at least more so than any other pickups I've ever used.

I've tried a few BKP's like the Miracle Man's, and Nailbomb. They are great pickups don't get me wrong, but I'd rather play with Evo's in my rig.

Still think you have a wiring issue sport...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
They don't sound muddy......ever.

Capped you back dude
Actually, I had an aftermath in an ash 565 custom. It was horribly "monotonous" with no pick attack...... It was a real let down when I was hoping for so much more.

It sounds like you prefer a lot more "sizzle" and high-end bite than the average player. To most of us EVO's are too bright, but not overly compressed.

Have you ever suffered any ear damage? I ask because a dear friend of mine spent WAY too many hours with his head stuck in front of our main mixing cabs. He lost a lot of his high-end perception. Because of that, his guitar tone is extremely high-end biased. I can't stand to listen to it, but he likes it......... He thinks my tone sounds like I'm playing under water.....LOL

Anyway, hearing loss is something that many musicians don't know is affecting their tonal choices.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
If anything Evo's are notorious for very biting high end tone, especially the bridge, and are anything but mellow on the high end. The neck Evo, and I'm biased because it's my favorite neck pickup, is extremely clear and articulate even under high gain, at least more so than any other pickups I've ever used.

I've tried a few BKP's like the Miracle Man's, and Nailbomb. They are great pickups don't get me wrong, but I'd rather play with Evo's in my rig.

Still think you have a wiring issue sport...
Maybe so sport.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
My gripe with Diamrzio is the high gain nature of their pickups. It causes some compression in the tone. The Evo's sound a bit mellow in the higher side of the EQ. Pushing the 2K EQ band up, gives the tone more bite for me.

But then again, everyone sees these things differently, so don't be suprised if people want to swap out the Evo's.
This statement almost confirms for me that you do have some amount of hearing loss. You really should get it checked............ just for the safety side of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode