Jem7v-wh....or RG550 Genesis - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Jem7v-wh....or RG550 Genesis

Hi Guys

This is gonna sound a bit wild but stick with me. I've always wanted a Jem but mainly one of the old 80's ones with wild colors. I was planning on buying an RG550DY putting in some pink EVO2's and some green tone knobs etc and thinking all good!

Now my friend has offered me his Jem7v for €200 more than the stock RG. Granted its the white color scheme and really not my favorite but it's still an incredible guitar. Will the Jem be significantly better than the modded RG?

Sorry if this is an outrageous question, I've only just gotten back into guitars after about a decade of not playing. I have an ESP Eclipse and a Mayones Setius 6 as well if that helps the question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Re: Jem7v-wh....or RG550 Genesis

"Significantly better"? No
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin View Post
"Significantly better"? No
So it's fair to say the majority of the price difference new is in the name?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedcor View Post
So it's fair to say the majority of the price difference new is in the name?
Not just the name, the additional routing for the lions claw, monkey grip and jack socket, also the fancy fretboard inlays. None of which make it sound or play any better.

You should buy it if you like it, but make sure it ain't a fake, check everything properly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Not just the name, the additional routing for the lions claw, monkey grip and jack socket, also the fancy fretboard inlays. None of which make it sound or play any better.

You should buy it if you like it, but make sure it ain't a fake, check everything properly.
I was actually with him when he bought it in the shop like 11 years ago! I do like it but I think I might just prefer the aesthetics of the RG a bit more. If it's not going to be majorly better to play etc I might just leave it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 1

You did not say what year the JEM was. Assuming it a 2007, I would go for the JEM. I think playability is better. You get the 6105 medium frets (which I prefer over the jumbo), a slightly rounder neck profile (still thin but a little more meat on the back curves), Evolution pickups, VLX91 superswitch, and the ultra comfortable scalloped upper frets, and a more dense mid-range alder wood body. 550s are good but to me are too bright sounding with the basswood body and maple board. You would also need to make a small investment to upgrade the electronics. The JEMVWH guitars are the pinnacle of Ibanez. There is a reason they have been produced for so long and still going. Just all around better guitars than your standard MIJ Ibanez.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
You did not say what year the JEM was. Assuming it a 2007, I would go for the JEM. I think playability is better. You get the 6105 medium frets (which I prefer over the jumbo), a slightly rounder neck profile (still thin but a little more meat on the back curves), Evolution pickups, VLX91 superswitch, and the ultra comfortable scalloped upper frets, and a more dense mid-range alder wood body. 550s are good but to me are too bright sounding with the basswood body and maple board. You would also need to make a small investment to upgrade the electronics. The JEMVWH guitars are the pinnacle of Ibanez. There is a reason they have been produced for so long and still going. Just all around better guitars than your standard MIJ Ibanez.
Looking at the serial number I think its a 2004 model. I'd say it had definitely been sitting in the shop a few years. Dunno if that makes a difference.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I was actually with him when he bought it in the shop like 11 years ago! I do like it but I think I might just prefer the aesthetics of the RG a bit more. If it's not going to be majorly better to play etc I might just leave it.
The other factor to consider is that you'll ruin the resale value of the RG with all the mods, whereas if you keep the JEM in good condition it'll hold its value nicely.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Hi Guys

This is gonna sound a bit wild but stick with me. I've always wanted a Jem but mainly one of the old 80's ones with wild colors. I was planning on buying an RG550DY putting in some pink EVO2's and some green tone knobs etc and thinking all good!

Now my friend has offered me his Jem7v for €200 more than the stock RG. Granted its the white color scheme and really not my favorite but it's still an incredible guitar. Will the Jem be significantly better than the modded RG?
You're best off getting the VWH and calling it a day. For $240 extra you get a known entity (vs pot-luck quality RG you order), AANJ, Alder body & far better resale later. And maybe a hard case.

Tags
ibanez jem , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode