Jem7V WH vs Jem777 30th Anniversary Reissue - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Jem7V WH vs Jem777 30th Anniversary Reissue

I currently own a 2011 Jem7V WH, but have always want one of the original Jems. Having played the originals, I know that they have a different sound and feel than the modern ones. Different neck, pickups, etc.. I got really excited when the 30th anniversary reissue were announced, but looking at the specs, they are very similar to the 7V WH I already own, with the exception of having a Basswood body and a maple fret board.

For those who played the 7V WH and the Jem777 30th Anniversary Reissue, how do the two compare? Is there any significant difference in the feel, sound and performance? $3500 is a lot of money to shell out for aesthetics alone. Taking out the fact that 777 are a limited run (and look really cool), would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks,

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:53 PM

Re: Jem7V WH vs Jem777 30th Anniversary Reissue

Aside from a maple fretboard vs rosewood, I would expect everything else to feel exactly the same. At least as exact as two different configurations of wood can feel. As for sound, there's the basswood vs alder and maple vs rosewood conversation. I think the most pronounced difference you'd notice out of everything is in the aesthetics.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 AM

First off, it depends on how picky your ears are and how good you rig is.

Alder bodies sound better, (fuller low end) to me.
Rosewood fretboards give a warmer tone.
Maple fretboards give a little brighter tone with more defined attack!

IMO
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM
NJT

I was keen on the 30th though not at the prices they're available here in the UK. I'd like an Ibanez 6-string and I'd like it to be some manner of 'Vai guitar', opportunity for a (second hand) 7VWH at 1/3 the price of the 30th popped up recently, so that was that!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

For someone with a VWH to be honest for $3500 i'd highly recommend looking at a different*(non-JEM/RG) Ibanez Prestige guitar altogether.*Or two. For example you could pickukp a "clearance" AR2619 in cherry and "blowout" JS1200 from Rich.*An AS200 and pocket $1500+. Good luck.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Honestly having played the Jem7V (Alder/EVOs) and the Jem70V (Basswood/EVOs) side-by-side, I felt like there was no difference in tone at all. Keeping in mind that the alder Jem is capped in basswood, maybe the bit on top is all that matters (or none of it does). With that knowledge, it was kind of disappointing to me that they put EVOs in the Jem 30th instead of the PAF Pros.

I do really want a LNG, but why get a limited edition just to modify it (and spend even more money on it) or keep it stock just to sound like my 7V. I've realized that I mostly want it for aesthetic reasons. I want my next if not final guitar to have a maple fretboard and an OE if its going to be an Ibanez (kidding, its like almost always going to be an Ibby). I'd rather replace the Edge Pro on my 7V if I could.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. I would still like to hear from someone who played both of them, but the posts so far confirm what I'm thinking. I agree with blkspade, I also basically want it for aesthetics, going back to wanting one when I was younger.

As far as getting a different guitar for the money, I already own the 5 below, which is why I'm having such a hard time justifying getting another Jem.

- Ibanez Jem7V
- Parker Fly Deluxe
- Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard
- ESP EII Horizon III
- Fender Roadhouse Strat modified with X2N and Hot Rails PU
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2112 View Post
Thank you for the responses. I would still like to hear from someone who played both of them
I got the 777LG last week. Is the first JEM I've owned but I've played the 7VWH a number of times at Guitar Center.

I feel there are a lot of similarities between the two guitars and semi-justified the investment in the 777 in that I was getting an Ibby with the thinner 6105 frets and Evo pickups ala the 7VWH which I had always wanted to own.

I do feel a slight sound difference with the maple fretboard versus the rosewood/ebonies on the 7VWH but overall both guitars play very similarly.

Note:since the JEM forum gets more readers than the pickups forum, would love if someone could assist me with the F size pickup question here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/f-...-a-148378.html
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2112 View Post
I currently own a 2011 Jem7V WH, but have always want one of the original Jems. Having played the originals, I know that they have a different sound and feel than the modern ones. Different neck, pickups, etc.. I got really excited when the 30th anniversary reissue were announced, but looking at the specs, they are very similar to the 7V WH I already own, with the exception of having a Basswood body and a maple fret board.

For those who played the 7V WH and the Jem777 30th Anniversary Reissue, how do the two compare? Is there any significant difference in the feel, sound and performance? $3500 is a lot of money to shell out for aesthetics alone. Taking out the fact that 777 are a limited run (and look really cool), would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks,

Gene
Hey Gene

I don't know if this is something you'd consider but you have another option. You can grab an 80's flower pattern for pretty cheap (I got my '89 77FP for $1,500.00). As near as I can tell they have the exact same specs as the vine fb versions of the 777's. You can leave it as is or refinish it to whatever color you want. Either way the specs are the same to the originals and you save a lot of $$$.

Last edited by acstorfer; 01-29-2017 at 04:44 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

After thinking about it for a week, I still couldn't get it out of my head. I seen the availability shrink and finally broke down and picked up the Jem777 LNG.

I can't link to pics yet because I don't have enough posts, but here are my thoughts on the two. First of all, I was really happy that the 777 felt quite a bit different from my 7V. The first thing I noticed is that 777 is a lighter guitar, probably because of the wood. The neck joint is obviously a big difference. I personally find the AANJ much more preferable as it give easy access to all the high frets, but there is a bit more stability with the plate. To my surprise the neck feels quite a bit different from the 7V. 777 has more of a matte finish and feels a bit thicker. The frets are situated a bit differently. I know that the specs are technically the same for the radius, but in my hand, they feel distinct. The trem on the 777 feels more stable, but that may just be a setup thing. Though the trem stopper on the 777 is probably what makes the difference.
In terms of sound, the 777 is a bit less twangy and bright. A bit more bassy, but still crisp. I haven't really put the two through a thorough sound comparison yet, but they are different enough to make me feel that I didn't just get another of what I already had.

I'm very happy with the purchase. The 777 looks and plays amazing and I will be keeping both of the guitars.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM

That sounds pretty cool then. I just wish more videos would pop up of people playing these things already.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 AM

I'll have two 777 reissues (SK and DY) in a couple days so I will be playing them with a 2010 7Vwh here at the studio. I'll check back in and let you know what I find. I have a couple 505's that have a subtle difference with the 7V, and I attribute that to the bridge and the Maple neck. They're all Evo's. The maple is a bit brighter with the 505's. Love em both. Subtle difference. I feel like the 505 is more of a players guitar, while I call the 7Vwh Priscilla, cuz i't definitely from Graceland, versatile, professional and able to many tones and styles.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:59 PM

Hey hey

Got my 777SK Reissue, and had a chance to play it last night. It is sweet!

These are just opinions, and everybody's got one - but here goes:

1. The action from J-Craft is higher than I like. The E was at 2mm, and I like to have my guitars set up at 1.25 to 1.5.

2. The neck is thicker than my 505's (maple necks) and definitely thicker than a 7v.

3. The 777 feels more "Rock n roll" while the 7V is more slinky. It actually feels like an 1987 guitar to me. The neck profile has changed with Ibanez. I often use prestige necks on my swirls, and they are even thinner than a 7v. Is one better than the other? Hmmm. Feels more like a gibson neck than the newer ibanez IMHO

4. The pickups and electronics sound great! But, that be said - my 505 with Evo2's has more crunch and midrange. WTF? Maybe cuz I used thicker wiring? This one is very strange to me....

But, I love it. It's a wonderful guitar - and for $500 more, I would throw down for a 30th as it will hold it's value way better in the future. There's a lot of 7v's around with all the years of production.

That's my report!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bluedot. I agree with you on all counts regarding the neck and action. According to the Ibanez site, the necks should be the same, but they are clearly not. Also, right on about 7V being more slinky. The 7V is overall a better designed guitar, especially with the AANJ and the accessibility it provides to the higher frets. What are your thoughts on the bridge stability with the stopper on the 777?

I do love my 777 thought and am really happy I got it. Worth the extra $500 for sure.
Now the question is should I keep my 7V or sell it?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 PM

Friends....I am in market for my first Jem and clueless as to which model to get. I am a pro guitar player and always dug a floyd Rose even though my main axe was a Les Paul into a Mesa Boogie. I noticed on Sweetwatres site they have a Beautiful black & red floral Jem 77. see desription below

Ibanez JEM77 Steve Vai Signature - Floral Pattern 2
Solidbody Electric Guitar with Basswood Body, 5-pc Maple/Walnut Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, 1 Single-coil Pickup, and 2 Humbucking Pickups - Floral Pattern. $3499

My only concern was this review:

The only thing keeping this from 5 stars is the neck joint. It is beyond me (and most Ibanez fans) as to WHY they decided to go with the old 1980's style neck joint instead of the MUCH better AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) that they use now and have been for years. The AANJ allows for much easier access to the higher frets. MUCH easier to play than this style . I assume Ibanez went with the old style because the original JEM Floral pattern guitar had it.Other than that it is awesome! Fantastic tone, great wizard neck and sustain. I really love it and play it ALMOST as much as my JEM 7V (which has the AANJ). Great addition to the JEM line up.

They also have a Jem7V in white for $2999.

What does the Jem777 have over these two guitars?

Which locking tremelo is considered the best?

Should I be looking at older Jems on Ebay and if so, any specific model/year?

Can't thank you enough for your advice.

Peace

BobbyD

Tags
30th anniversary , jem777 , reissue jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode