JEM7VSBL Inlays - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

JEM7VSBL Inlays

I think I'm about ready to have Jeremy at LGM Guitars change out the blue plastic inlays from my SBL, but I'm not sure what I want. So, I'm looking to you folks for suggestions. I want something that you'll be able to see from more than a few feet away. The inlays are great work, and I want people to be able to see it and appreciate it. But I don't want it to be shocking or over done. I want real shell, not plastics or synthetics. And I want the color to gel with with the guitar's blue color--not clash!

I tend to prefer mother of pearl, but that might be too bright. Jeremy recommended blue paua, but I'm afraid the greenish tinge might not go with the blue.

I got this link from Jeremy. I hope I'm not giving away any "insider secrets". If I am, let me know and I'll pull it.

http://www.luthiersupply.com/shellblankpage.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 02:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the rosewood board hinders the inlay so i'd use a white MOP and add a pearloid white pickguard... glen
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

At one time I considered changing the fretboard too, but I like the rosewood. I don't see how it "hinders" anything.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 06:18 PM

I think you should get the larger leaves done egg yellow & the smaller ones brown
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsboy
I think you should get the larger leaves done egg yellow & the smaller ones brown
You're kidding, right? The blue doesn't show up on the brown fretboard, but brown would?
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:57 PM

i looked at the choices and i would also suggest the blue paua. I think MOP would be a bit too much given the amount of blue in the guitar body. It just wouldnt look right. I dont think the green would be an issue and perhaps the green would add some spice (but not over the top) that the vsbl really needs.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:12 PM

Another vote for the blue paua. If you want to know what the difference between that and mother of pear would look like on rosewood boards check out pics of PRS guitars. The mother of pearl is the standard inlay material for birds. The paua is the standard inlay material used with PRS guitars ordered with the artist package. Both look tremendous and both will jump out in light or under stage light. In low light situations I'd give the slight edge to the MOP.

Good Luck....

JC
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 09:31 PM

Yet another vote for blue paua...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 12:04 AM

I like the blue paua too :P
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 05:10 AM

look what I did!
JEM7VSBL PEARL
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by omrisu
look what I did!
JEM7VSBL PEARL
That looks great!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
At one time I considered changing the fretboard too, but I like the rosewood. I don't see how it "hinders" anything.
it hinders contrast w/ some of the fancier inlays, cause it's not as dark as ebony, or pale as maple.

i would not change or recommend you change the fretboard, just factor it when choosing the abalone. the blue paua is nice but at 4x the cost might look underwhelming... it really depends what you're looking for visually... glen
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 09:07 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by omrisu
look what I did!
JEM7VSBL PEARL
this is an example of what i'm talking about. it's nice, but subdued... you need to blow up the pic (ie. stand close) to really notice the inlay. the guitar on a stand from across the room will still look boring like the std VSBL. A lighter inlay (ie. like the jem10) would stand out more, but it depends on the look you want. i also think the plain white (ie. cheap looking) guard detracts and stands out more (detrimentally) with the improved inlay and should be changed.

your mileage will vary... glen
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
the rosewood board hinders the inlay so i'd use a white MOP and add a pearloid white pickguard... glen
Well...Jem7Vsbl with white MOP & pearloid pickguard
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm... (Thanks, omrisu!) I think I'm leaning toward the blue paua. Still, Glen raises a good point. I wonder how far away it would be visible. I don't want to be too showy, but I want people to be able to see the work!

Tags
custom ibanez , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , ebony neck , guitar body , jackson soloist , lgm guitars , mahogany body , pearl pickguard , pearloid pickguard , peavey wolfgang , prs guitar , prs guitars , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , trussrod cover , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode