JEM7VWH Clean Tones? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

JEM7VWH Clean Tones?

From everything I've read so far, it's obvious the evolution pickups shine with lots of distortion. I'm wondering how they sound with clean tones. More specifically, how does that single coil sound? Can you get nice crispy "Stratish" funky tones?
I've recently joined an 80's and newer cover band. I want to minimize switching guitars between songs(I have Strat and a 1981 Ibanez Iceman and I run directly to PA from Boss GT-. I can sacrifice a little bit of authentic Strat tone, as long as the single coil sounds "reasonably" convincing with clean/funky/dance type stuff.
I know the question is subjective, but I'm sure some of y'all out there have a decent picture for what I'm after. You're shared experience is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:15 AM

Re: JEM7VWH Clean Tones?

The clean is fine on the Evos. However I still prefer a strat's clean tone tho, sounds warmer and with more 'character' for lack of a better word. But that's just me. I think for what you're asknig for, the JEM will do great. With the tone knob at around 3~5 you can get a nice twangy strat-ish sound out of it. My $.02.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:46 AM

I agree, you can definately do funk with a Jem. Personally, I think the neck Evo has one of the best clean tones I've heard, listen to Tender Surrender and you'll see. The brdige is honestly not made for clean and therefore sounds a bit harsh, but once again it shines with distortion.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:57 AM

I think they sound wonderful clean. The neck humbucker sound very good, the bridge is great once you roll down the tone pot a tad, and the single coils have that great strat sound.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
I agree, you can definately do funk with a Jem. Personally, I think the neck Evo has one of the best clean tones I've heard, listen to Tender Surrender and you'll see. The brdige is honestly not made for clean and therefore sounds a bit harsh, but once again it shines with distortion.
Agreed 110%.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:09 AM

The evo single coil is good, but imho I'd have a Blue Velvet in there
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 AM
b3n

I think the best clean positions are 2 & 4. The single sounds a bit too weak on it's own but in these positions it's heavenly.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 10:29 AM

they sound great in clean .... why don't try one yourself
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 PM

Cool Re: JEM7VWH Clean Tones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian
I think the neck Evo has one of the best clean tones I've heard, listen to Tender Surrender and you'll see.
"Tender Surrender" is a mix of a JEM and a Strat...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 10:24 PM

The 7VWH sounds great clean through a tube amp. It's a very versatile instrument.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 AM

I don't think the Evos sound nearly as good clean as say PAFs do, but their clean is pretty good and amazingly good considering the output of the pickups.

I usually use 2 and 4 for clean (and using the humbuckers alone pushes a good tube amp into OD mode so it's a great solo switch). The single coil does sound thin alone next to the humbuckers, but it mixes great with them... AND it works like a shoebox effect for some cool tones as well.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:26 AM

Reviews: 34

I prefer paf's for strat tones, but the evo nexk will do clean pretty well.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 03:33 AM

The single coil and neck pickups are good for clean tones. The bridge on the other hands to waaaay to harsh for my taste.

Regards

André

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM

I have found that the Clean in the VWH with Ebony is thick and dark, very cool!
I prefer the 2-3-4 positions for clean.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:53 PM

I'll back up the guys that are saying positions 2 and 4 for clean, that's what I've found gets the best sound on mine. I use the neck humbucker for fatter "jazzier" type sounds, but for the treble to cut through the mix when playing with the band, I like to use the single in the middle combined with either the neck or bridge pickup. Every once in a while, the single all by itself is great, but usually it just doesn't have enough power by itself.

Tags
bridge pickup , clean tone , evolution pickups , humbucker sound , les paul , neck evo , neck humbucker , neck pickup , neck pickups , strat sound , strat tone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode