Jem7vwh g string problem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Jem7vwh g string problem

I recently set up my new jem according to all the requirments on this site, but I still have one problem. No matter how high i set the action my the tremeolo the g string, even though its visibly not hitting frets higher than the one being played on, when i play the g string on any of the 20-24th frets the sound of it is tinnny and horrible and the note only last for a couple seconds. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know its not a big deal, but it would be nice to find out why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Re: Jem7vwh g string problem

Could be a high fret, or possibly need a saddle shim.

Regardless, if it's a new Jem and still under warranty, take it back and let the dealer sort it out.

Scott
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, this boggles me though, why wouldn't the d string and all the other strings have the same problem, sense everything being balanced and all. Plus the people at guitar center sometimes I just think theyre making stuff up as they go along (which is where i got the guitar). They also told me that my jem doesn't come with any tools except for the tuning allen, which is bull. Any other remedies you know I could try before bringin it there?
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

O, and one more thing i could ask is when when i move my trem bar does it make weird scratching noises, as is its scraping something inside, very annpying i can hear it without and through my amp
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 AM

You should have received at the very least, 2 allen wrenches, a truss rod socket wrench and the Ibanez Prestige manual.

Take my word from experience with GC: Don't let these guys push you around. If you don't feel comfortable with the guitar you purchased off the rack, return it for an exchange or your money back.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

I guess I have a few options, here are the ones im considering.

I think im going to bring it to guitar center and try and get all my stuff i should have gotten with the guitar such as the tuning wrench and truss rod stuff etc. and if they can't frigure out my string problems and all that i return it. If i finally decide to return the guitar then im thinking of buying from Rich Harris (Ibanez Rules), who seems to be a very good dealer, im not sure but i think he would be a better bet than guitar center. Please post your comments and or opinions about these choices.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM

How much did you buy it for?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I got a price match, ended up around 1800, brand new, but I sure expect alot after paying that much.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM

lol Rich would indeed be a better option than Guitar Center buddy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

It will be pretty difficult for me to return that then reorder one from him, so any suggestions other than returning, like quick fixes, im going to get it checked out soon, but im too scared to make any neck adjustments or fiddle with stuff like that sense ive never had the guts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 04:59 PM

Dude, it's Guitar Center. Take it back and make him order you a new one. Treat them like the b1tches that they are. I do. That's what they are there for. 30 day money back guarantee.

Ryan
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Well i can do that, or they told me they would give me a pro setup from tech, but i know they have another jem there too. Should i let them try setting it up nice for me first? Does anyone else encounter scratching like noises when they move their trem bar?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:21 PM

Get the setup first, make them agree though that if it's still not sorted after the setup then you want to try and possibly swap for the other Jem.

'Sratching Noises'? Are you sure that's not the springs squeaking a little bit?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Yes im posotive, ive already rigged a sock back there to stop all that racket, but when I move the bar it makes this scratching type noise that i can even hear through my amp, its really weird. The only way i can possibly give you an idea of the sound is to think of the gaskets on the bar slowly scraping away the plastic of the arm holder, which im pretty sure this is not the problem, but that might give you an idea of how it sounds. I took the clips off the arm and squeezed them together a couple times as to try to make them hug the bar closer, and it goes away for a while, then comes back.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM

I think you should return it, its the easiest way. And then you could order one from rich, which i beleive come proffesionaly setup.

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , arm holder , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode