JEM7VWH Gold Hardware (Tarnish Provention?) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

JEM7VWH Gold Hardware (Tarnish Provention?)

Those of you who own 7VWH (I think that is the only 'Nez made with gold hardware) ... I'm wondering if any of you have ever treated the saddles and bridge plate with any type of solution/sealant that will completely prevent/eliminate the possiblity of it ever tarnishing? I have seen some that are tarnished and they really look like hell. Am trying to avoid this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:36 AM

I don't think it's avoidable. I have an Edge that was originally cosmo black and right now, it's worn to pure silver with not even a hint of black, and the saddles are disgusting...No complaints though, it fits right in with my beater guitar
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:38 AM

Unless I remember my chemistry wrong, gold doesn't tarnish (oxidize). Silver will, tho (Ag->Ag2O). The stuff you've seen is probably wear on the finish or funk. You should clean the bridge when done playing and try not to scrape the bridge up. Or not play it. Or play the hell out of it and replace the bridge when it needs it.

FWIW,
-bill
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:43 AM

The gold hardware on my trem has been wearing out quite a bit, I didnt do anything about it, cause I feel it adds soul to the guitar, but a friend of mine was telling me about a kinda of lacquer (a bit like transluscent nail varnish) that's used to cover up the gold coating. This has to be applied every year or year and a half for sound protection.
I dunno if this method works, guess our tech friends out here will have a more precise answer for you anyway!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'm used to original Floyd Rose bridges that never ever fade... if anyone know of an exact material/brand/where i can get it.. i will coat my saddle and bridge with it just to be sure, because inside a month i can picture all the "gold" wearing off....
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldbill
Unless I remember my chemistry wrong, gold doesn't tarnish (oxidize). Silver will, tho (Ag->Ag2O).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the finish is real gold.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayThickStrings
I guess I'm used to original Floyd Rose bridges that never ever fade... if anyone know of an exact material/brand/where i can get it.. i will coat my saddle and bridge with it just to be sure, because inside a month i can picture all the "gold" wearing off....
I have an original Floyd on a late 80's Kramer and the gold finish on it is gone. it looks pretty nasty.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldbill
Unless I remember my chemistry wrong, gold doesn't tarnish (oxidize). Silver will, tho (Ag->Ag2O).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the finish is real gold.
I'd be very surprised if it's not a gold alloy. It's probably not 24K plating (pure), but a 14K plate so that it doesn't wear off even faster. Why are you so sure it's not?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

If that bridge was pure solid 24k gold, it might justify the $1300 price of the 7VWH. I've seen older models and the "gold" wears off... pits, corrodes, tarnishes, etc. Since mine is essentially flawless right now, all I was asking for is if any of you know of a proven method that prevents it. I'm not the kinda guy who whipes down his guitar after every session/show, and I do sweat a lot, so mine is going to get gnarled in a hurry unless I treat it somehow first... Surely someone has done this?

Happy Jaagermeister Year to you all...
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 01:09 PM
rvj

The gold finish on my VWH started to show wear after only two weeks. Since then, I've managed to slow down the process by completely changing my picking style. Which is a good thing considering that resting your hand on a floating trem does'nt work too well. I've also gone through a handful of gold bridges on my Les Paul.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 01:13 PM

Chemistry lesson 1! gold is a soft metal even in alloys!! An engineer who even tries to make something of gold that needs to stand the abuse of a guitartrem has paid his teachers to pass the exam.
I didn't pay them!

A thin layer, just for the looks is possible. Indeed gold does'nt oxidize but because it is soft it wil be rubbed of even faster as the usual trems do.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvj
The gold finish on my VWH started to show wear after only two weeks. Since then, I've managed to slow down the process by completely changing my picking style. Which is a good thing considering that resting your hand on a floating trem does'nt work too well. I've also gone through a handful of gold bridges on my Les Paul.
I rest my hand on the floating trem, but it doesn't go out of tune. I play the JEM7vwh. Maybe I just don't put a lot of pressure on it or something, I don't know. I have been playing floating trems all my life (that's all I have ever owned), so maybe I am just lucky to be so used to it.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:03 AM

It's a shame an expensive guitar has to lose it's shine on Gold over time. Ibanez can certainly do better to add some alloy or finish to prevent from tarnish. Seems like even Ibanez fails to test certain aspects of the guitar like ALT (accelerated Life Test) commonly followed in the technology companies.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 01:04 PM
EKG

Ah....let it fade...it looks so cool! Shows that you play :-)
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 05:00 PM

I agree... If a guitar is that cool anyway, I doubt it's gonna stay perfect.

Tags
floating trems , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , gold trem , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode