Jem7VWH GROSS STRING BREAKAGE problems - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:18 AM

I break strings only when I'm either bending, or pulling up with the bar. Of course, I like to bend up 2/2.5 steps or better when I really get into something. My strings *always* break right at the bridge.

I've seen Vai break strings on a number of occasions......you guys gonna tell him he has bad technique, too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:47 AM
dex

About breaking strings with the pick.
What kind of picks do you guys use?
I don't think I can break a string using a pick.

I do break strings every so often and it's the high E 4/5 times with the high B the rest and it's always on a fixed bridge and when I'm bending.

Nothing else I do can break a string. Not even when I get all excited and try to play Metallica rifs like there's no tomorrow.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:30 AM

Easiest solution: Buy more guitars! That way, you'll have more to play so the strings will take far longer to wear out and break It worked for me!
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Ok lots of questions to be answered.

First thing, I don't use heavy grit, I use very fine grit sand paper.
Second, my other guitars are far better for string breakage. I pick harder on those ones actually because I use 10's instead of 9's and have standard bridges.

The High E and B ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS break on the exact point of the saddles. There and only there. I never break anything but High E and B.

I always clean my strings after playing and do not have corossive sweat. Well I mean everybody does but I really don't let off that much moisture.

SRV on a Jem? Eh... a little bit. More like Paul Gilbert.
Videos of my playing? http://yngvaitriani.tripod.com

I use picks that are between 1mm and 2mm. The last string I broke was when I was picking heavily, but I mean come on, picking? If a guitar with a floating bridge and light strings breaks strings with heavy picking that often then these guitars obviously aren't that versatile now are they? I'm sorry, but to me, if a guitar can't handle picking, that's ridiculous. That's like a fish having an allergic reaction to water.

Bending strings aswell. The majority of the time a string breaks is when I bend a string and I never bend beyond one full step on my 7V for that very reason.

To ALL who's strings last longer than 5 weeks - Are you a heavy picker? Do you bend or whammy much?

I NEVER PULL UP. Does this not seem ridiculous or unusual to anyone because this is about the most obsurd thing I have ever heard of.

Come this weekend, I will be borrowing my friend's JS1000BP. I am going to play this thing like I would play my own and see how often it breaks strings.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 12:19 PM

Hello Richard;
I'm watching your jpeg and I don't think that your "string problem" has to do with the way you pick... :

- When I 'am at home, my strings last longer than 5 weeks (it last about 2 or 3 months and I play it five days a week) but I'm not a heavy picker and, Yes, I bend a lot but I don't use my whammy much!
I always have to clean my strings after playing because I let a lot of moisture on the string...
- BUT, when I play live my high E sting on my jem bfp only last 2 weeks. I don't know why! I think it could be the stress, so I'm picking much harder!!!
- Also, I use to had a "rg" that have the same problem but, this time, it was a piece of metal on the tremole that broke the string...

So this is my advice : May be you' ll have to check again : show your guitar to a guy in a good repair shop... Play in front of the guy", He 'll see what to do. He'll tell you if the trouble comes from your playing style or if it's a tremolo problem!!

JS
PS : It's hard to write some technical stuff in english
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:30 PM

I'm an extremely light picker. My strings never break... well very seldom. I can't think of the last time one broke. And it's been a few months since I changed strings on the UV. I wouldn't doubt I could get Mr. Oakman-type stints between string changes. I used to break E's and B's on my old Yamaha quite a bit before I dropped a Lo-Pro in it. It's been ages since strings have been put on it. Mind I hardly ever play the Yamaha. hehe
I hope you get it figured out soon. I can imagine the frustration.

Alden
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:00 PM

this is normal, then bro .. heavy picking WILL cause string breakage, and strings will break at at the saddle cause that's where there's most tension on the string (err, well, most stress). E/B are also the lightest strings on the guitar .. if you're not breaking strings on other guitars - you answered that for yourself too - heavier strings, etc. try picking lighter?

little of this has to do with the guitar though, i'm pretty sure .. i'm quite a whammy abuser (although i've toned down recently) .. i use 1mm ultexes, bend strings to high hell and generally play the living fish outta my guitar and yea, two weeks tops for the e/b is quite normal/good going IMO.

i've only broken strings picking once or twice but that's cause i'm quite a light picker. twice during a rush playing related moment of indiscretion where me and my drummer went a bit crazy i started picking like no tomorrow, and snap-snap-snap .. three strings went flying off

aah, that was fun.

~A
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAI6
Well, it honestly could be how YOU play.
I used to have a couple of custom Hamers with Schaller Floyds (I think...), and I would violate these trems!
Just a thought.
Sounds like fun, count me in
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 PM
rvj

Quote:
Originally Posted by YngVaiTriani
To ALL who's strings last longer than 5 weeks - Are you a heavy picker? Do you bend or whammy much?
I'm a light picker and use thin/medium picks.(.060)
Bend frequently as high as two steps or more.
I whammy like crazy... flutter, dive, and pull way up.(sometimes lifting the guitar, hehehe.)

No breakage on any of my Jems.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I find great difficulty believing that.

Man.... how could it be MY TECHNIQUE if you're that rough with it?

I have seriously gone over all the saddles and they're SMOOTH when I string. 2 weeks tops.

Ok.... what can I say? Most people don't break any strings on their Jems and they beat the hell out of their guitar. I break many strings and I don't.....
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Light touch here, 1.14 mm picks, not so much whammy, but when I do, I pull up with no regards...

Still have to break ONE string
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I use heavy picks, i bend like crazy and i pick heavily, but, i don't use the trem and i use 10s and 11s
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 03:53 PM

I use 3mm stubby's, 9's and totally abuse the Lo-Pro(ask Karim/Pryde7. He's seen the videos) but I don't have any troubles with string breakage. But like I said earlier, I pick very lightly, for the most part. But I would think the total blasting I give the whammy would counter act it but I guess not. I think theres gotta be a problem with the saddles. I'm no tech though... hehe

Alden
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Well it still doesn't occur to me that my playing is any tougher than any other's playing.

My Edge was completely sanded tonight by my father. Every saddle groove.

Putting on a brand new high E and B strings and we'll see what happens. I'll post next either when I break a string or it lasts for more than 3 - 4 weeks.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:47 PM

dude, for any aggressive playing, 2 weeks is plenty .. !

~A

Tags
dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , jem bfp , les paul , markley blue steel , paul gilbert , steel strings , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode