JEM7VWH or JEM7VSBL ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

JEM7VWH or JEM7VSBL ?

Hi, first post here.

I'm toying with the idea of purchasing one of these two, but cannot figure out why there's a price difference between them as they seem to share pretty similar specs.
Could somebody who has some experience with both please enlighten me ?

I'm not new to the JEM/UV world, though, as I have owned a UV777BK since 1998 (or so).
Also, how does the neck of the 7VSBL/WH compares with that of the UV777BK's in terms of comfort and speed ? Is the finish similar ?
I absolutely love the neck of my UV and would be quite happy to find again that feel on a 6 strings guitar.

Sorry if this subject has already been done, I've searched through the archives but nothing that really answers my questions came up.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 08:59 AM

there is no diff in spec now (the 7vwh has now changed to a rosewood board also)

the only diff before was the eboney board on the 7vwh and the rosewood on the 7vsbl.

all other differences are purely cosmetic. ibanez tryed to rake in more cash buy priceing the vsbl up a bit when it was first released, you should now be able to get em about the same price no problem.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 10:19 AM
RCB

Why dont you try getting another model? Even if you have to buy it used. The VSBL looks like a $200 Yamaha Pacifica, and the 7VWH is the Elvis jem.

Rich always has interesting guitars, and the market is flooded with jems. You can get a mint used BSB for about the same money than a used VWH or VSBL, or less.

If you really like these two, I would go for the 7VWH but a 2002 or prevous model with the ebont fingeboard and the locking studs.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 11:45 AM

hehe for me it would be a 2002 VSBL.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
Why dont you try getting another model? Even if you have to buy it used. The VSBL looks like a $200 Yamaha Pacifica, and the 7VWH is the Elvis jem.

Rich always has interesting guitars, and the market is flooded with jems. You can get a mint used BSB for about the same money than a used VWH or VSBL, or less.

If you really like these two, I would go for the 7VWH but a 2002 or prevous model with the ebont fingeboard and the locking studs.
Yes....a $200 Yamaha Pacifica.................
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 03:22 AM

Out of the 2, it would have to be the white. The sparkle blue one is just rubbish, and the blue and brown on the neck is pants. Have you seen the VSBL is person? My immediate thought was "Ripoff". For me, I like the uniqueness of Jems but VSBL is just too plain. For me, having sparkly paint is just not enough!!

I get so excited when a new Jem comes out (As I'm sure we all do! ), but was soooooo disappointed when the VSBL came out - "Oh, is that it???"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments so far.

Ultimately I would like a JEM10 - who wouldn't ? - as it is still the best looking JEM around IMO and it would look just perfect beside my similar-looking UV.
I have not seen the VSBL in real yet, but agree that the colour scheme may not be particularly exciting for a JEM. However I am willing to see one in real and play one before drawing any conclusion.
Also, maybe they will eventually make a series of that "Chrome" JEM everybody's been talking about for a while ...

But then these are just considerations about looks. The one I will buy will be the one that suits me better. Looks will come into account later.
Could somebody please then tell me about the 7VWH/SBL neck ?
How does it compare with the UV777 neck ?

Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom
How does it compare with the UV777 neck ?
Errr, thinner!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I have not seen the VSBL in real yet, but agree that the colour scheme may not be particularly exciting for a JEM. However I am willing to see one in real and play one before drawing any conclusion.
To me the VSBL is the classyest current production jem and probly one of the most classy of all the jems. Of course just imho.
I have always felt it was super nice looking axe in the flesh

as for the jem7v neck its fairly small but chunkyer than the wizards depth wise and it has less width so it feel a lil slinkyer.

its a very nice easy to play neck, the current jem7v neck is probly one of my fave necks ever
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:09 AM

VSBL, boring? Hmmm, and plain old white is so exciting
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
To me the VSBL is the classyest current production jem and probly one of the most classy of all the jems. Of course just imho.
If, by "classy", you mean "boring", then I would have to agree.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 09:23 AM

no i didnt mean classy as boring.

i dont think the VSBL is at all boring i think its an unstaited subtle guitar and as a rule i prefer that
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Fry

In another thread, people talk about the vwh being way too gaudy, now, in this thread, people are talking about the vsbl being too boring.....????
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry
In another thread, people talk about the vwh being way too gaudy, now, in this thread, people are talking about the vsbl being too boring.....????
Jemsite forum readers are surprisingly like humans..
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
no i didnt mean classy as boring.

i dont think the VSBL is at all boring i think its an unstaited subtle guitar and as a rule i prefer that
I'm just "pulling your leg." Though the VSBL doesn't make my heart beat faster. It looks too much like an $1,800 Stratocaster.

Tags
ebony board , ibanez guitars , jem neck , jem neck profile , jem vsbl , locking stud , locking studs , monkey grip , neck finish , pearl pickguard , pearloid pickguard , production model , rosewood board , scalloped frets , signature guitar , steve vai , tone zone , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode