Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB - Which one is better and why? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB - Which one is better and why?

Which is a better Jem7: Jem7BSB or Jem7VWH?

I know absolutely nothing about the BSB but pretty much everything about the VWH. I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the BSB and tell me the major differences between the two and which one is better and why...i guess i am asking for the pros and cons comparison of each guitar. I ask here because I want personal, human feedback about your experiences and knowledge.

Thanks alot everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 12:51 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

hey Captain!

I have never owned a BSB, but from what I'm told, the finish makes it a pain to PLAY. *It scratches super easy, and the finish always rubs off. *I think they are cool looking and will definately get one in the future when I have enough guitars to play. *I'm sure the SOUND is terrific!

I DO own a VWH, and I love it. *It has that classy look, the Evos ROCK, and the ebony fretboard is amazing!

So, if you want one to play, buy the VWH, but if you have lots to play already, pick up a BSB.

Let us know what you decide, too.

Chris
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 12:54 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Hey man! *I love both, but I must say that I like the VWH better. *It's made of different woods than the rest of the Jem line, for the most part, and won't age as quick. *The blue stain has not penetrated the wood very deeply and some of the most minor scratches or abrasions could get right to the bare wood. *The white finish is a special polyester finish that doesn't yellow. *I know the finish issues are only cosmetic, I like to keep everything I own as clean and new-looking for as long as possible. *I also prefer vines over fake-screwhead inlays and I also prefer the traditional scalloped frets on the last four. *Playability: *I have no preference between the two but because of the oil-finish on the BSB, it feels a little more raw and smooth as compared to a satin-finished 7VWH. * It all boils down to the preference of the buyer/owner-YOU! *Good luck!

Mike "77" Haug
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Mike is right,

The BSB is a much more "raw" axe. It looks raw, feels raw and sounds raw :biggrin:

It's got a really present sound, even more so than the VWH, I think due to the lack of a sealed finish on the body so it just seems to breath more somehow, which gives it a really really crisp sound.

The finish is a big personal thing. yes the blue rubs off the back of the neck, and yes the body scratches easily. BUT I think this is part of the design, it's meant to get weathered and a little battered, and it'll deal with those little scrathes a lot easier than a VWH which looks so marredby every little ding it gets

I severely dislike the screw head inlays and personally would have them replaced ASAP. Either with some bright blue SIMS l.e.d.s or some abalone dots.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 01:11 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

After much consideration I have come to a conclusion where I like rosewood fingerboards better than ebony. I would therefore rather have a BSB than a VWH. IMO the BSB also has a bigger whohaa factor.
Just a shame about the boring screw head inlays.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 01:12 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

between the two you mentioned, from my limited experience of trying them out at stores I would say the 7VWH...but actually my favorite JEM and the one I'm gonna buy is the 7DBK
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 01:59 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

I went to ibanez.co.jp and compared the BSB and the VWH a little. The neck measurements on the BSB indicates that it's got the wizard neck. Is this correct? I though it had the original JEM neck.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:15 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Good choice AJ - the DBK is just a fantastic guitar. Are you picking it up soon?

And also, I was toying with the idea of using some of that Fretware (http://www.fretware.com/) abalone stuff to make disappearing pyramids (except on frets 12 and 24). I too don't care for the screw-head inlay. I do a lot of bends and things though that may catch on the fretware stuff, so I'm a bit wary about using it...

-Ben
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:19 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Since the only technical difference is the Bodywood(Alder/American Basswood) and the fretboard (Ebony/Rosewood) I'd say it's entirely up to your personal reference...might be some little differences on the necks too, although Ibanez claims they both are JEM necks...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:45 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

{Good choice AJ - the DBK is just a fantastic guitar. Are you picking it up soon?}

just as soon as I can sell my Telecaster I'm gonna buy the 7DBK...literally the same day I get the $$ for the Telecaster I'm gonna send the payment to Rich for the 7DBK
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:55 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Way to go AJ - the DBK is a killer axe! Of my four Jems, it's still the one I play the most and has been since the day I got it... lurve this guitar!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 03:45 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

Quote:
Quote: from ytsejam on 8:19 pm on Aug. 12, 2001
Ibanez claims they both are JEM necks...
Where? It is Ibanez who claims its got a wizard neck on their japanese site.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 04:34 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

...on their catalogs
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 04:39 PM

Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

...But of course it wouldn't be the first time to Ibanez print wrong information on their catalogs...and also the neck might change with the production year, I have a '98 RG7620 which has the UV neck although the newer ones seem to have the wizard7
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 07:02 PM

Reviews: 5
Jem7VWH vs. Jem7BSB

I think it's pretty tough for me to pick one as better. *I love the JEM7VWH (hence my name here) but after playing Bill H's BSB, I couldn't say it's better than the BSB. *They are a lot different in terms of cosmetics. *The BSB is unique in that it has a finished neck (it's blue all over!) and it is unfinished. *On the other hand, the VWH is the only JEM made of alder which is a little brighter sounding. *It also has the ebony fretboard which I prefer. *The electronics are the same as is the general feel since they were made in the same general period of evolution in the JEM line. *I say play em both and go with the one that you like the most.

Tags
abalone dots , ebony fretboard , jem neck , rosewood fingerboard , scalloped frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode