JEM7VWH vs JEM7DBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

JEM7VWH vs JEM7DBK

Which of these two guitars are better for "shred"? I have not been able to play them yet, as I live in a small town with only 1 dinky music store. I have read however, that the JEM7DBK has a "faster neck." I like the specs on the JEM7VWH more though; the alder body, ebony fretboard, and evo p/u's. Plus it looks a whole lot better
So which of these guitars do you prefer for speed?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 11:05 PM

would you believe i havent ever played a jem?

yes, its true, so i wouldnt know. but the VWH has evolutions which have a morally better sound.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

so EVOs sound better to you? I have never been able to compare them side by side, but i have read reviews saying that EVOs are really thin, and "icy" and Breeds are warmer. Comments on this?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2002, 11:23 PM

In my experience - owning both of these guitars - the DBK is indeed just the ticket for unabashed finger-burning, pick-melting shred. It's all down to the neck, which is popsicle stick thin and just about as flat. It also has a superb satin finish on the back, so it's talcum powder dry and resistance free every time you pick it up. I'd have that neck finish on every guitar if I could. Unfinished wood gets grubby and soft; high gloss gets sticky and squeaky like a basketball court. The set-up possible with the DBK is ridiculous. My action is currently set at one quark.

DiMarzio will make you black Evos - you only have to ask.

All round, I actually prefer the 7VWH. It's rock solid, comfortable and I seem to be at my best on an ebony board, so it actually gets much more play than my 'Lumpy' as it's known in my house. But for pure shred, you're right on the money with a DBK (and they're cheaper too.)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:21 AM
Vendor

Shred neck, the biggest myth I ever heard. Who says a neck has to be thin to play well? Guys that prefer thin necks. Somebody tell YJM, EJ, and JB they can't play because they prefer baseball bats.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Shred neck, the biggest myth I ever heard. Who says a neck has to be thin to play well? Guys that prefer thin necks. Somebody tell YJM, EJ, and JB they can't play because they prefer baseball bats.
Thanks for saying that, Rich- it's really down to what you're comfortable with. A thinner neck isn't going to help you play any better or faster.

-Ben
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:39 AM

Amen Brutha,

It's all about finding a tone and a neck that feel like fuzzy pink slippers, just right.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
It's all about the points...how many and how sharp.
~K
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 11:36 AM

Don't listen to them Wolf! Clearly the last shredding any of this lot did involved a lettuce!

The DBK neck is faster! Take this news back to civilization with you, and tell them of the oppression that faces our people here! GO! It's too late for me, save yourself! RUN! Run like the wind!

[the unmistakable clank of centurion armor grows louder]

Noooo!

[stabbing sound]

Ack! Light a candle for me on my birthday!

[thud]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 12:48 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with Rich. THIN NECK != FAST PLAYER. A thin neck won't make you faster if you hate it and your hand cramps up playing it. You're most likely going to play fast on whatever neck you're most comfortable with. Besides, it's all relative - EVH can play faster on a lamppost than I can on a DBK

As for DBK vs VWH: I've owned them both. I liked everything about the DBK but the neck was too thin for me. I just couldn't chord comfortably. Luv those Breed pickups! . The DBK is much lighter and it just "feels good" strapped on.
The VWH is well, the best Jem I've ever played. Slightly bigger neck profile and more solid and heavier than DBK but you $$$ for it. I preferred the Breeds over the Evo's but I'm not complaining.
To answer your question, if you are a fast player you'll be able to shred to your heart's content on either of these. It's really a matter of personal preference and $$$ you can spend.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:44 PM

How you have to position your hand in conjunction with the size and shape of your hands and fingers (let alone if you have any history with joint or nervous disorders) will depend on what you prefer. So, Rich is 100% correct. Words like "good, better, best, worse, horrible, etc" are words of opinion, not facts, and it's very hard to make generalizations about guitars that will work for everybody. Everyone is different and NO two people will ever really play or sound EXACTLY alike.

True, a thinner neck has less bulk and may offer SOME folks less resitance. You will play better or to the best of your current abilities on something you are comfortable with and not everyone likes thin necks. some people also find heavier-gauged strings easier to play on as opposed to lighter strings.

Also think: the DBK has a thinner neck than the 7VWH ans SBL. Now think of Vai's playing. Now look at the guitars you mostly see Vai with. HMMM.......

Mike 777 Haug
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:31 PM

I've got both... and love them both. Yeah the DBK has a thinner neck, noticably thinner neck at that... but both are very comfortable... the fretboard on the DBK feels flatter. The fretboard on the VWH is glassy almost... very smooth, which is part of the reason it's my favorite. I love the look of both guitars... but the VWH just looks more classy and sounds better. I'll never get rid of either guitar, since they each have their own qualities that I like.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:51 PM

played both, prefer vWH, so own vWH prefer evo pickups - i like having the bite when i want it (which is most of the time), otherwise, backing off the tone a bit warms it up whenever i need that. i find the dBK neck way too thin, vWH neck feels more solid and .. comfortable for my hand. oh, and i infinitely prefer ebony to rosewood :-) plus the brighter feel of alder .. yada yada yada .. the differences are many, and to me that puts the balance way in the vWH's favor, but..

that's just my humble opinion.

~A

ps: the aesthetics are a whole different ballgame, and i LOVE white/gold, but that's not entirely what made the vWH... 'the guitar' for me
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 03:20 PM

for me, the killer jem is the BSB!
my god, shred-made!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 03:52 PM

Wolfie,

I gotta be honest - I always used to think that thin & wide = fast. However, now that I have a Music Man Steve Morse (thru default rather than choice....although it's a quality instrument) - the neck is like a Splatocaster baseball bat. I hated this at first - but I haven't got the cash to get a Jem just yet so I've got used to it and realistically - their is no change at all to how 'fast' I can or can't play, the only difference is your own perception as a flatter neck 'feels' faster.

Just my view and not worth much........

Tags
alder body , ebony board , ebony fretboard , evo pickups , music store , neck finish , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode