JEM7vwh vs. JS1000? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

JEM7vwh vs. JS1000?

i don't know what to do. i'm gonna buy a new guitar in a few weeks but i don't know if i should get the JEM7vwh or the JS1000. i've played both of them and i like different things about each guitar but i want the opinion of other guitar players. is it worth the extra money to get the 7vwh? or is the extra money you spend just for the looks? please, tell me all the bad things (if there are any) about both guitars.

i want an awsome guitar that's gonna last me forever.please help me out, i need other guitar players opinions. thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:27 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
this is more about style and feel than price. The 22-fret JS/S guitars are alot different than the JEM/RG bodies from the body shape to the neck... glen
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

This is one of the hardest questions to answer and as Glen said it's all about personal opinion. Yes the JEM is worth paying the extra money for, but only if you like those features better than those on the JS. The JEM is imho a more modern feeling guitar with the all access neck joint, the scalloped frets, the 24 fret neck and so on, the JS is more traditional, smaller frets and a more Strat-like feeling neck and neck joint.

Both sound great and both play great, it all comes down to what you want in the guitar. Choose which one you like the look and feel of best, irrespective of price.

(or you could buy both )
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

i play alot of different styles of music. right now i have a Schecter C-7 7 string and i hate the 7th string so i took it off. but as far as the rest goes, i love it to death. i must say though, i do prefer the look of the 7v over the JS any day. and i use the entire neck regularly, so the 24 fret neck on the JEM would probably suit me better. and yes, buying both guitars would be the best of both worlds . but hey, i'm not a millionaire and i need to choose one, so i think i'm gonna go with the JEM7vwh. cause hey, i play more steve vai and joe satriani anyways, and i'm more influenced by steve. thanks for your input. if anyone else has anything else to say, anthing at all to better help my decision, please don't hesitate to post a reply.

but i still have two last question:1) do eighther one of these two guitars have any major problems i should know about before buying? 2) Which one has the lowest action?

any impute would really help me. thanks to [email protected]$!!!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 04:13 AM
dex

I don't think I've heard anyone complain of anything major about a jem or JS1000, but lets be fair, for the amount of money you part with to acquire either of the guitars you wouldn't expect even minor problems with them.
Action on the other hand totally depends on set-up.
I have a 30something year old Kay that has
1.5mm on the high E - 22 fret
2.0mm on the low E - 22 fret

and with a set of .09-.42 feels and plays like any modern guitar.

hope this helps
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex
I don't think I've heard anyone complain of anything major about a jem or JS1000, but lets be fair, for the amount of money you part with to acquire either of the guitars you wouldn't expect even minor problems with them.
These guitars aren't that expensive really on the grand scale of things, now for the priceof a PRS private stock...That's when I'd be expecting perfection
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 07:57 AM
dex

You're right.
When you take everything into consideration the price is very reasonable for what you get.
I was just making a point that guitars in that price range will never have problems like a $200 Slammer would.

Also about the PRS perfection, you should expect perfection from any custom shop job IMHO.
Especially PRS or Parker.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 08:07 AM

wow what a question

well i have a js1000 and when i was gona get it i looked into the jem7vwhs and they are very very nice. I came down to what you are looking at to be honest , i was gona get eather a js1000 or a jem7vwh and i went with the 1000 not coz of the money, but coz i love the neck and i love the fred/paf pro pup combi and the body just feels so right all the time its just so nice for me to play, i love it.

but as every1 has said its all down to what you like the feel of at the end of the day
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 09:10 AM
Bew

I couldn't decide, so I got both of them. I probably play the JS (JS1000BP or JS6) more as I'm more influenced by Joe's style, but every now and again, I take down one of the Jems (VBK & VWH) and play that for a couple weeks straight. Like everyone else said, it's all personal preference. The JS will offer you a more contoured body, warmer pickups and a more strat like feel. The Jem will offer you a really pretty (in a manly sense) guitar that makes you feel like you can't stop shredding. Hope that helps.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 10:06 AM

I'd have to disagree with the JS having a warmer tone. I've found, eventhough the EVO's are really hot pickups, I can get warmer tones out of them than out of the FRED. I do find the PAF Pro (in the JS neck) warmer than the EVO's, however. My favorite tones come from the older Jems, with 2 PAF Pro's . However, JS body is perfect for me, I love it . I had to end up buying both too .
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:20 PM

JS body is much more comfortable in my oppinion, and has a wider range of playing styles, but i love jemīs... specially with two paf proīs. What about a second hand or an FP?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:27 PM

These are just apples and oranges. I like them both. IMO, the JEM is a more flexible instrument overall. The JS1000's are more versatile than they appear. They may not have a middle pickup but those push-pulls add quite a bit of flexibility. They sound and feel very different from each other. It's not the difference between a Strat and Les Paul but the differences are obvious, nonetheless.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
These guitars aren't that expensive really on the grand scale of things, now for the priceof a PRS private stock...That's when I'd be expecting perfection
Please Jono, no more fuel for the financial fire that Hoshino's accountants/gangsters are sitting around, warming their hands and giggling madly into the night sky.

Let's not be aloof. If I pay $1000-2000 I don't want any problems. It's the other way of thinking that gave the world the 555's list price, which was an excercise in black humor, and pushes up the prices of real guitars too (why is the VSBL so expensive?)

To paraphrase Vai, it's just wood and wire.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

hey guys, you made some great points and came up with some good duscussions. but my question still remains, when set up correctly, which guitar is capable of the lowest action?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2002, 06:41 PM

Neither...or Either.

Action is 98% quality setup, and 2% magic.

Satch has his string setup measured in 64th of an inch. I wouldn't be
surprised if Vai is somewhere close.

Does that mean that every JS guitar will have lower action then every
Jem.

No.

It's all in the setup.

I think that's why nobody really gave you an answer on that. On guitars of
this quality, the rest of the work is up to you!

PS I was going to link to Joe's web page where his tech lists how Joe's
guitar is setup, but I can't seem to find that link anymore....sorry.

Tags
access neck joint , body shape , custom shop , fret board , fret neck , guitar players , guitar shop , joe satriani , les paul , neck angle , neck joint , neck shim , paf pro , production model , scalloped frets , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode