Jem90 vs Jem10 pricing - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Jem90 vs Jem10 pricing

I'm curious..

Both guitars are limited editions as are most Jems except the VWH and such, and both had high production totals, and the Jem10 is definitely a guitar one would rather see in an old 18th century school dedicated to guitar teaching framed and mounted in a glass case, but why exactly is the Jem90 selling for less than its street price if its an anniversary guitar?

Granted, the high production Jems out there and the ones that aren't as classy go for less money (I got a VBK for quite a bargain), but I wonder.. am I offering to sell my guitar for less than I really think it should go for just because Jemsite has a $1400 estimated price on it?

I'm wondering how that price was arrived at, and why it remains that way... at Jemfests do guys _really_ nod their heads and say "yeah.. the Jem90 ain't really all that... " and dealers act accordingly?

I'm of the opinion that a good condition 90 is still a highly collectable anniversary model that blew people away (and still does), and should go for at least the old street price if its in mint, and only a little less if its in excellent condition. Just my .02.

-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Yep it's worth pondering over. This is what I thought up.
Although I really despised the 10's looks at the time (zippo show off guitar) and still believe it will never surpass the 7VWH (dream axe at the time) in sound or playability (alder vs basswood), all the anniversary magic went to that model. The 90HAM came with a bunch of other anniversary models and wasn't meant to pay hommage to the instrument but to the company, utilizing a RG-wizard neck instead of a Jem neck(making it sound very good but strange). It was just another limited edition model and not really aimed at the jemfans but more of a show off to the world of what the company had become. No one asked for it, I guess. I would have loved to see an anniversary Universe, but I guess they made the 777PBK to look like it , although without the quality of a J-custom.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
the 10 is very special, being an ornate model JEM that was a "legitimate" anniversary occasion. Tons of detail, while still being a "jem" that Steve was often photographed with too. They increased production totals due to huge player/customer demand.

the 90 was a quick "lets sell an anniversary model" remake of the RG-METAL1, with more J-Custom features than JEM (neck, fretwork, tuners, etc). The problem with resale here, is that ibanez took unlimited orders and dealers STOCKPILED them in the USA and probably worlwide... glen
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:52 AM

As far as I know less 90s were made than 10s. 759 to 852. But it's a Jem/RG hybrid indeed. And nobody asked for it except for the dealers, who also stockpiled all the 10s they could lay their hands on BTW. I live in a small town (30,000) in Europe and I know at least 2 guys here with a 10. We were said to get only 3 in the BeNeLux area. I bet it must have been at least 15 to 30.
I bought my 90 for a nice price (about $1400 mint, almost untouched) because it's a insanely good guitar, being a J-custom and all. But I still prefer my 7VWH over it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:53 PM

If you have tried a 10th, I can't believe that you don't like it. I have only tried one 90th, and that one was not at all like the 10th I have. The closest I got is an old RB. But they have a different neck profile that suits me better.
About the difference in price. I think the ones who bought a 10th kept it longer before they started selling them. As with anything, demand names the price. If the 90th was on eBay before they were made. That can be a partial explanation.

Euph
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's just that the 90 isn't as "cool" as the 10, It's funny ice blue metallic textured paint, vs sleek gloss black with abalone everything.

It's still seen as "second best" in the collectability stakes. Thus the demand isn't as high, thus the price is lower.

There was a photo of the 90 in an issue of guitarist that made it look absolutely stunning, a shining, crystalline ice blue but it just didin't live up to that for me when I saw one in person

It's also got that weird "feel" to the texture
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 01:27 PM

There were 12 jems10's that had been sold through serlui in the BeNeLux.

Today it is impossible to tell how many there are in our country. I own one thatwas original sold in the US. The guitars swap location and owners privately.
I know 2 jem 10's in Belgium.
I think there are a lot in Germany.

Indeed the Jem 10 was made to celebrate the collaboration between Vai and Ibanez. The 90 is a celebration of the company. This has nothing to do with Vai or the Jem itself.

This is a main reason why they are more expensive.
The jem 10 is way more beautiful in most opinions. The 90 has a weird finish and that's it. The 10 has abalone neckinlay, bound fretboard and body. This guitar has a lot of class. The 90 is simply cool.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 06:14 PM

I still prefer the 90th (got one) over the 10th! It just feels more comfortable to me and I prefer the sound over the 10th.

I've seen less 90's then 10's for sale in Holland AND Germany!

BTW, I personally feel the absence of inlay-work makes it look MORE classy! The feel of the texture never bothered me. The texture is something that most people have never seen. They love it. Abalone-binding and such people DO see more often on all kinds of expensive guitars (not often so much and fancy as on the 10th though )
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 06:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmarty
I still prefer the 90th (got one) over the 10th! It just feels more comfortable to me and I prefer the sound over the 10th.

I've seen less 90's then 10's for sale in Holland AND Germany!

BTW, I personally feel the absence of inlay-work makes it look MORE classy! The feel of the texture never bothered me. The texture is something that most people have never seen. They love it. Abalone-binding and such people DO see more often on all kinds of expensive guitars (not often so much and fancy as on the 10th though )
Some will agree with your opinion. The huge price swing between the 10 and 90 proves that most *buyers* have disagreed. This is great if you want a 90 cheap! ...glen
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:52 PM

i love them both, but never had the chance to play either of them. I own a 7VWH. Which one would you say is more similar to the 7VWH in terms of feel (NECK) and sound?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 05:37 AM

My 90HAM is totally different from my 7VWH. In string tension it reminds me of the Petrucci-HAM (had my hands on 2 JPM90s)...Sound is very beautiful and defined but not as warm as my 7VWH. Although the 90HAM has that custom sound. The woods are very good, no doubt about that.
Legatos sound better on the 90HAM, probably because of the thinner neck and lack of inlays. It has a tad less sustain. It's a Jem with a custom RG-neck(wizard) I guess. The Jem10 (played 4 or 5 of them) is more like a normal modern Jem. Playability is less because of the neck binding, unless you mind the gunk on the 7VWH, which I don't, and its sound is really nice, but not as sweet as my 7VWH IMHO (which was handpicked by a collector out of the first batch back in 94...built in 93). So of the two the 10 comes closer to a 7VWH but doesn't surpass it on those fronts, I guess. Maybe someone has a different opinion (not everyone loves the 7vwh of course)? It's been discussed in prior threads, I reckon.

A nice opportunity to take a good look at the Jemsite.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 09:09 AM

great insite, thanks,

I sure as F love the 7VWH.

Tags
jem neck , neck binding , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

rg 550 pricing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode