JEMDBK vs. RG 570 - Don't flame me please, serious question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

JEMDBK vs. RG 570 - Don't flame me please, serious question

Why is the JEMDBk so much more expensive than the RG570. You guys are probably saying this kids an idiot but seriously they both have a basswood body, rosewood fretboard, one has a lowpro edge while the other has an edge but you guys usually say it is a matter of preference, both have a wizard neck. The only things I see different are pickups, finish, and a cross in the dot inlay. Now don't get me wrong the JEMDBK is a cool guitar. Actually it is probably my favorite JEM but where is the $500 or $600 more you pay? Is it in the workmanship, finish, what? I can see why the JEM7VWH is more and the UV due to the extra string and what not. So please educate me if you would becasue I am confused on the issue. Again please don't flame me and call me a JEM hater or something. I love JEM's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 08:46 PM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

They're both great, but the DBK feels sooooo much better....better neck, even though they supposedly have the same profile and all....the fit and finish is better, I prefer the Lo-Pro, the pickups alone are worth $150 of the extra, alone....just play em and you'll see, trust me....I have one of each, and I much prefer the DBK.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 09:48 PM

Reviews: 12
JEMDBK vs. RG 570

Quote:
Actually it is probably my favorite JEM but where is the $500 or $600 more you pay? Is it in the workmanship, finish, what?
Workmanship definitely counts but don't forget some of that sum goes to Vai as well :P

Reg
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2002, 11:59 PM
rvj

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

Jems are superior in sound, feel, and craftmanship. Upper end RG's such as Prestige, J-Custom, and US-Custom are superior as well. Once you've played the higher end Ibanez's, it's pretty much a no-brainer. At least for me it was. Personally, I would take the cash for the 570 and put it towards something nicer, such as the DBK. --rvj
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 04:06 AM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

the jem is definetely a better guitar. $600 better? not for me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 09:19 AM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

the current 570's have a Lo Pro as well, same as the DBK. But the DBK has better (stock) pickups, and the Prestige/J Custom level of build quality, plus the Vai endorsement factor.

I think of all the Jems, the DBK would be the one I'd buy.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 11:48 AM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

my 2001 rg570 has en edge, not a lo pro.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 12:56 PM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

Difference in price is caused by cosmetic differences, real dimarzio pickups (instead of noname stock pups) and the "pay steve vai monay every time we sell one of his guitars", along with a difference in quality that is noticable.

Whichever feels best. If you think that the dbk is worth it after playing both that and the RG, then go for it
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 12:33 AM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

Hope it isn't too late to post a reply. *

I used to own an RG520QS. *It was a wonderful guitar. *I loved it. *$700 new at a local music store. *In my humble opinion, it really feels a lot like a Jem and sounds like it to. *Very sweet playing guitar. *I did put blue EVOs in it, then still wasn't totally happy with it, so I sold it.

Now, however, I own a DBK.... WOW! * *What a difference. *It feels a lot like the same neck, but for some reason, the guitar just sounds beautiful and feels great. *Love the monkey grip also! *It helps to have the angled input jack too. *Even though someone told me once that the DBK is the new Jem Junior, I still bought it (used for $700) and I love it. *Way to go Ibanez and Steve. *:thumbsup:

I will be keeping this guitar for a while unless I trade up for something else in the future (ala. JS90 or Jem90).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 02:16 AM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

I sitting with my brothers RG570 in my lap as I'm writing this so... I've never actually tried the DBK (or did I, can't remember, been to my favorite music shop alot lately. ) but I think it is safe to say that any JEM (exept 555) is superior to the RG. It's just a different feel all together.

And rvj took the words out of my mouth:
Once you've played the higher end Ibanez's, it's pretty much a no-brainer.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 04:47 PM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

Well, I do lurve my Jems, and my 1999 7DBK is a keeper - a sweet guitar that has pertty much monopolized my "Number 1" position in my arsenal since I first picked it up from Kirk a couple years ago... But I also have a '98 RG550DY that is just a killer guitar - I've owned other RGs (a 565, a 570 and a 750) but none has come close to the quality, tone and vibe of this little yellow monster! If I ever break down and put Breeds in it (which I haven't done yet because I'm rather pleased with the original pickups!) it will be equal to the 7DBK on all fronts afaic... I know that this little RG is probably the exception rather than the rule, but the jewels are out there if you care to look...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 07:26 PM

JEMDBK vs. RG 570

I dunno about the exception! *I just got an RG770 from Cody (jem7pbk), and this thing is a little MONSTER. *It totally rips....I just tuned it to Drop-D, and it just rocks the house....of course, the bridge pickup is a PAF Pro, but other than that, it is all stock....Lo-Pro Edge, etc etc.....very cool, and the PAF's distortion makes this thing sound like my old Les Paul. *And that is a VERY good thing.

Tags
basswood body , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dot inlay , killer guitar , les paul , local music store , monkey grip , music store , paf pro , playing guitar , pro edge , rosewood fretboard , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode