JemFP - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

JemFP

Im currently playing a 77FP (88' model) and a new UV777 as far as jem/UVs go. Im getting into a whole Paganini phase, since really, im a classical musician, not a contempory fusion player. It could just be my sloppy technique, but im finding the block joint on the FP, combined with the PAF pups to be a little bit of a problem, the block obviously getting in the way (when doing hammer-ons on the high 'e' from 15-19-24 ) and the pups seem to be a bit weak, not enough treble, notes are just getting lost in my rectifiers obscene gain...
Im comfortable with the jem and UV series, and would like to keep playing them, so any suggestions on a better jem for that style of playing, (something with a thin fast neck, high output, and an all access joint) would be much apreciated

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:18 AM

I'd suggest to get your hands on a Jem7V. All access Neck joint, alder Body, Evolution PUs. Yummy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 09:27 PM

yeah, jem7vwh, and for a yet even thinner neck and MORE METAL SOUNDING pickups, the 7dbk is the way to go....and it's cheaper. it is a great guitar. i love those breed pickups.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2002, 11:49 PM

Ditto on the 7VWH or maybe that new blue one.

While I don't care for the tone of my VWH, it's very evenly powered and
harmonically rich pickups are great for tapping and finer nuances of
hammers and and pick attacks.

You might just want to keep the FP and drop from Evo's in it?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 12:55 AM

Additionally, if you drop some GAIN you might get back some TONE.

I'm not too partial to the sound of Evos. To my ears they're like PAFs hooked up to a car battery; everything boosted but not in an entirely artful way. Pretty brash actually. Luckily they come in a stellar guitar.

I'm with Steve on the Breeds. They have a great identifiable sound, real character. Some of your fast Paganini through a neck-position Breed... ooh, just the thought of it gives me chills!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 05:57 AM

Well what yngwie uses for paganini is the dimarzio HS-3 and the YJM pickups. I would try maybe using a humbucker from hell to get that clear single coil tone, but without the hum and low output. When you play paganini its easy for things to go to mush so you may consider even just using an eq pedal. Youll sacrifice some things in here, because basically no pickup is gonna suit you that well for paganini and still give you a good rythm sound. You could always try the all access neck joint mod, and do a refinish on that guitar. the neck joints never bothered me on those older ibanez guitars, but to each his own(hell yngwie uses a strat for pagani and those neck joints are gigantic).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

White and Gold

Yep, i went to try out the DBK, and the WH, and the VSBL...

The DBK, to me, is a much 'darker' sounding guitar than the 7VWH, like you said, way more for metal styles, and i suppose neo-classical is a metal style...but, that kinda sound i really dont need, since i already got a UV777 and a Gibson Gothic Explorer fior when i wanna thrash out. But yes, its a very 'shreddy' guitar, super thin neck, very fast, although, i feel like, its too flat, i dont mind tiny thin neck, but i prefer them to have a curve to them, this neck, much like my UV777 is like a table top surface, flat.

As for the 7VWH, its white...and gold... this doesnt seem to be a problem for most of you guys...but i refuse to own a white and gold guitar (ELVIS LIVES!) and considering my room has black walls, purple carpet, and chrome+leather finishings, it would seem...out of place, not to mention i hate the whole gold thing...) But, those petty details aside, what a fantasticly easy to play guitar, for me anyways, it retains the feel of my FP, which keeps me comfortable, and it gives me an AANJ. To top it off it gives me a totally different range of sonic possibilites. the output is very high, or seems much higher than the PAF pros, gives insane harmonics... this i like... Things only get better.... they make it in blue....

The 7VBSL
First thing that springs to mind...ooooo its so shiny... the finish seems to glisten in a rather unusual way, since specs of metal in the finish give off huge bright sparks of blue light. the forum was right about this guitar, it has to be seen in person. Felt like the VWH, cept with a rose wood board, which gave me even more continuity with my FP, another bonus. same feel/sound entierly other than that it would seem.

So, the VBSL it is... i think i have found somewhere i can pickup a new one for 1000...which is dirt cheap since its mint condition. When i pick it up, ill try out that whole...'less gain, more tone' idea. Sound like a damn stupid idea to me! Crank it up!!

Thanks for all your advice guys, ill keep ya posted.

Rob
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 04:16 PM

A Duo Sonic would be an excellent step up.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 03:02 AM

1000 is a good price.
Do I dare to say... Congrats?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 11:38 AM

I remember reading that YJM 's pickups aren't particularly high-powered. That way the sound of the guitar comes through more, and the amp has to do more work...just a thought.

Guy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

malmsteen...

Salem, thanx for the congratz, should be picking the VSBL up tomorrow...ill tell ya more then . As for malmsteems setup, i hate the kind of tone he uses for his paganini stuff , ive tried a YJM strat through a marshall double stack, and sure, it works, but, i cant stand that kind of tone, I use mesa amps, and slim necked 24 fret guitars with humbuckers.... so the whole 21 fret behemoth souped up strat thing doesnt really appeal to me, nor does the marshall tone, though there is alot to be said for the marshall tone, and for the yngwie strat, which is a pretty cool axe, just not for me.

Rob

Tags
access neck joint , alder body , fret guitar , fret guitars , ibanez guitars , mesa amps , neck joint , neck joints , paf pro , paf pros , sounding guitar , yjm strat , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode