JEMJR Fretboard color ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Question JEMJR Fretboard color ?

Hey

So I'm looking to buy an Ibanez JemJR and replace the entire hardware with high quality one to get the closest look to the Jem7 ( Cant afford the Jem7, and the other im looking for, JEM WOODY is litteraly impossible to find, found only 2 online, one on guitar center who doesnt ship to France and another on Reverb but the seller is actually not polite and the free shipping smells fishy, i had free shipping fee once on a guitar, just to be hit by a massive shipping bill when it arrived at my place )...
But i am very confused before making my purchase and i came here to ask question about it, mainly about the fretboard color !

So you see, I'm checking a bit all the reviews and pictures I can find of this guitar ( impossible to find a store near me that actually sell it physically, would be easier otherwise.. ) and it looks like it has 2 fretboard color

I see some pictures and videos where it has a very light brown fretboard, which is really not good looking to my taste

But on some other videos and pictures, the fretboard is actually quite dark, and very close to the Jem7 color and beautiful, exactly what im looking for

I am very confused with the whole thing, I understand lighting when you shoot can influence the color tone and also different oil on the fretboard can darken a bit the fretboard. But here, it's litteraly 2 different colors

Did Ibanez make 2 models of the JemJR ( i mean, i know they used Rosewood before and now they use Jatabo, but ive seen the same problem with both wood during my research )

Or it's just a gamble when you order it?

I really don't like the very light brown fretboard and would be really disappointed ordering the guitar and receiving that instead of the dark color, but it's impossible to find concrete information on why

Thanks

Have to mention that at the store im buying, it will be a rosewood fretboard, his supply chain seller still have those surprisingly

Second mention, looks like i cant post link, so i kinda ruin my formating, but you guys are expert, so im sure you know exactly what im talking about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: JEMJR Fretboard color ?

If you find the fretboard a little too light then there are options to dye the fretboard darker to suit your tastes.

One option out there: https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ard-stain.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you find the fretboard a little too light then there are options to dye the fretboard darker to suit your tastes.

One option out there:
Hey
is it safe to use? like is the dye permanently or there is a chance it will slowly go away after a few oiling of my neck?

Also do you have to sand off the fretboard or you can just apply it right on it ?

I still haven't received my JEMJR neck ( ordered a neck on reverb for a custom project, i'll post about it here when im done with it, it's pretty cool ) so i have no idea on how dark it will be when i get it, i picked the darkest model the seller had available but it's gamble haha

Last edited by Hiruda95; 08-20-2020 at 05:43 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:39 AM

I'm actually interested in doing the same thing (purchasing a JEMJR, then modifying it to get it closer to the JEM7VP). Did some research and found the following info:

- Model # suffix 1P-01 is original Jem Jr manufactured from Dec, 2014 – Oct, 2017 (Discontinued). Any JEMJR with this suffix has the original rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body.
- Model # suffix 1P-02 is current Jem Jr manufactured from Dec, 2017 – present. In 2018, they replaced the rosewood fretboard and mahogany body with the jatoba fretboard (light color, which I personally don't care for) and meranti body.

I actually found 2 JEMJR guitars (with rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body) on Reverb's website, and confirmed that they both have the original rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body (I just can't afford it at the moment). Apparently I haven't posted anything on here, so it won't let me include links yet. Here's what to search for:

1P-01: Search "Ibanez JEMJRWH Steve Vai JEM Junior with skull design strap system EVO bridge pickup installed"

1P-02: Search "Ibanez JEMJR w/ Pearloid Pickguard and Truss Rod Cover"

Not sure if they ship out of country but I've spoken with each seller, and both seem pretty nice. Hope this helps!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegain3 View Post
I'm actually interested in doing the same thing (purchasing a JEMJR, then modifying it to get it closer to the JEM7VP). Did some research and found the following info:

- Model # suffix 1P-01 is original Jem Jr manufactured from Dec, 2014 – Oct, 2017 (Discontinued). Any JEMJR with this suffix has the original rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body.
- Model # suffix 1P-02 is current Jem Jr manufactured from Dec, 2017 – present. In 2018, they replaced the rosewood fretboard and mahogany body with the jatoba fretboard (light color, which I personally don't care for) and meranti body.

I actually found 2 JEMJR guitars (with rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body) on Reverb's website, and confirmed that they both have the original rosewood fingerboard and mahogany body (I just can't afford it at the moment). Apparently I haven't posted anything on here, so it won't let me include links yet. Here's what to search for:

1P-01: Search "Ibanez JEMJRWH Steve Vai JEM Junior with skull design strap system EVO bridge pickup installed"

1P-02: Search "Ibanez JEMJR w/ Pearloid Pickguard and Truss Rod Cover"

Not sure if they ship out of country but I've spoken with each seller, and both seem pretty nice. Hope this helps!

i learned that even with the rosewood fretboard , you could end up with a very light color. And you can end up with a very dark Jatoba too
it's a gamble sadly

On another thread, someone mentionned that Jatoba get darker with time

Myself, I dropped the idea of buying a JEMJR because they're simply not available until a few months from where I am from, so I'm doing the same project but based on my RG350
Attached Images
File Type: png unknown.png (147.7 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Hiruda95; 09-03-2020 at 08:11 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 05:11 PM

Good choice on upgrading from a different guitar model. That's going to be a pretty sweet guitar when you're finished modifying it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegain3 View Post
Good choice on upgrading from a different guitar model. That's going to be a pretty sweet guitar when you're finished modifying it.

Indeed, shame i have to wait until october to get the floyd rose and mid september for the pickup because there is a massive delay on delivery :/

Tags
jemjr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode