are JEMs better than expencive RGs ? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
First cam the Jem, then the RG, but then came US <snip>
I know this is being pedantic, but Roadstar's were out a long way before JEM's, labelled as RG's.

Vai took a Roadstar/Strat shape and sharpened it, added a few cutty out bits for good measure. Satch did the same with the JS/Radius, which was born from pre existing RG's (Roadstars).

Last but not least, to my knowledge SinTrade, Steve's name doesn't appear anywhere on any guitar he has endorsed. Other people's names yes, but not his. His name/image appears frequently to sell the guitar but on the guitar itself it's missing.

People have already said it in this thread but it's hard to compare a JEM with a modern RG, the woods and design are distinctly separated.

JEM's are like a person who enjoys dressing up and showing off a bit, RG's are like a practical person that doesn't mind turning up the stereo occasionally.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6828

I know this is being pedantic, but Roadstar's were out a long way before JEM's, labelled as RG's.

Vai took a Roadstar/Strat shape and sharpened it, added a few cutty out bits for good measure. Satch did the same with the JS/Radius, which was born from pre existing RG's (Roadstars).
I'll wait for Steve's revised story of the history of the Jem that he has promised to correct some "inconsistancies"

Quote:
Last but not least, to my knowledge SinTrade, Steve's name doesn't appear anywhere on any guitar he has endorsed. Other people's names yes, but not his. His name/image appears frequently to sell the guitar but on the guitar itself it's missing.
Incorrect, lest not forget the VAI2KDNA which Steve personally changed the name from JEM2KDNA, so late in the game that some of the literature actually has the model as JEM2KDNA
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:43 AM

And we mustn't overlook that darling little "STEVE VAI" inlay on the much-loved 555...
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 07:03 AM

...ahhh, how i love the 555.....

hehe.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
And we mustn't overlook that darling little "STEVE VAI" inlay on the much-loved 555...
is 555 that bad ?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 04:50 PM

Quote:
is 555 that bad ?
when i tried a 555 as the first JEM i played, i thought it was great. I went away from the guitar shop and saved for a bit and bought a DBK. I love my DBK, best guitar i've ever played. Last week i went back to the guitar shop and had another go on the 555. It felt awful compared to the DBK. I guess that sums it up. When you've played high end JEMs, nothing else will do.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinTrade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
is 555 that bad ?
For the price, I'd say "no", the 555 wasn't THAT bad . . . if you could overlook the lousy trems.

As with any Korean made guitar, some will be good, some will be "eh", and others will be, "this is some primo fire-wood".

The 555 had nice pups, decent finish (on the ones I've seen) and played pretty nicely, but always remember, you get what you pay for and a "cheap" guitar is always a cheap guitar.

Mic
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
You need to get your mitts on an RG1880! Makes any Jem neck look like a piece of paper!

--B
Yeah and if a frog had wings his @ss wouldn't wiggle when he'd jump...
and it's got a slighty thicker than a Jem neck indeed...but anyway, J-customs like that aren't really representative for the bulk of RGs all over the world. Let's say 270s, 550s and the sort. Which look a little pale when put next to a Jem.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 02:28 PM

I,ll tell you something from MY experence, and nothing against RG lovers here but, you can change pick-ups, guards/covers, necks, etc...And as far as trade-in value/ re-sale value goes, An RG is still an RG!! Nothing like the REAL thing.(JEM)
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mclaughlin
I,ll tell you something from MY experence, and nothing against RG lovers here but, you can change pick-ups, guards/covers, necks, etc...And as far as trade-in value/ re-sale value goes, An RG is still an RG!! Nothing like the REAL thing.(JEM)
Yes yes, true true, but what of us RG lovers (I WANT a Jem, but I can't fork over that kind of loot for one) that don't ever intend to SELL our guitars?

I was going to sell my old RG 550 (1990 model) because I've fallen in love with the AANJ on my 1999 RG 520, but I simply couldn't part with it.(I have small hands and the AANJ helps a LOT. Not to mention that I kind of like thinking of it as All Around New Jersey. :P )

I've had it a long time and even though it's been pushed over to "backup guitar", even when I get another new one I'll not part with it. Too much "love" in that guitar, even though it's "only" an RG.

So I couldn't care less if it's only worth enough to trade for a Hershey bar, it's staying with me, dings, scrapes, missing bits of wood, mis-matched chrome and black hardware and all.

For me, bottom line as far as the original posters question . . .

No, a JEM isn't a pricey RG with Mr. Vai's name on it, it's a very well made guitar designed to the wants and needs of a talented musician, and if those traits are what you want in a guitar, and you can afford it, go for it.

An RG, while BASED on the JEM, isn't a Jem, it follows some of the traits of the Jem in basic shape and design, but there are more than enough differences to make it it's own guitar.

And while it's normally less expensive than a Jem, it may actually be better for some people in certain areas, not only price. (I'm not including the lower end RG line from Korea, these are aimed at the "low price" crowd and are simply too varied in quality to comment on. I'm a US or Japan man when it comes to guitars.)

Mic
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2003, 12:57 AM

Reviews: 5
when you ask are JEMs reallly better than RG's, you're missing some qualification.

If I ask you whether a Corvette is better than a Civic, you can't decide until I tell you how to decide what better means. What if I'm picking out a car for my grandma who is short on gas money? Obviously then the Civic is *better*.

So--depends on what better means.

If you're talking about quality- then yes they are.

In my opinion, JEMs generally are better equipped in terms of body wood, fretboards, fretwork, pickups. I also believe them to be better assembled than many RGs.

If you're talking about value, the line is more blurred.

I feel that JEMs are a fair deal compared to other similarily equipped guitars in their level, but the bang-for-your-buck might not be as great as an RG. By that I mean, a $600 RG is great, but I don't know that a $1200 JEM is twice as great as the RG.. So there's less value per dollar, but overall, the quality is higher.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
... By that I mean, a $600 RG is great, but I don't know that a $1200 JEM is twice as great as the RG.. So there's less value per dollar, but overall, the quality is higher.
But we are not talking about 600$ RGs but 1000$+ Prestige ones like RG3120.

IMHO, I don't own a JEM not a Prestige level RG. But my dream guitar is a mahogany RG prestige like with wizard neck, HSH config, no pickguard, with lion claw and angled conection, but no monkey grip. With air norton/HS2/Super3. So Ibanez does not build it
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 05:40 PM

I prefer my RG2027 over my JEM blue floral pattern in both playability and tone (even with the stock 77's instead of the paf pro's). It's complete nonsense to compare a Jem to a non-prestige (oh well, the 15..'s too) RG. If people make this comparison it just gets me thinkin of al those lame-ass G-word and F-word loosers who flame Ibanez without even knowing the distinction between the models
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 07:13 PM

Ok what is the monkey grip and the lion claw? I think the monkey grip is the handle?

Anyways are you guys compairing the JEMS to the rg prestiges like the rg3120(not rgt)? Or are you compairing them to rg5xx's? Because I am thinking about getting a rg3120, but i don't want to buy it if the jems are a lot better. thanks
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 AM

Can't you guys just say a JEM is a higher end of the normal RG series.

While the Prestige and other specialty lines simply adds some needed class to the dated RG lines?

And also I believe the RG550 that was mentioned (the New Old Stock), the bodies on those are Basswood, not maple. ( if you were refering to the Maple being a bit bright on the body, basswood is plenty bright)

Tags
air norton , equipped guitar , guitar shop , jem neck , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , paf pro , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , rosewood fretboard , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode