are JEMs better than expencive RGs ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

are JEMs better than expencive RGs ?

I have hurd many people nag about how JEMs are just pricy RGs with Steves name on them. I know this might be a bad place to ask ( ) but do you guys/girls agree at all ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:58 AM

Well, you're kinda asking 2 questions here...

1) are JEMs better than expencive RG's ?
Personally, I don't think so. I've had quite a few Jems and quite a few expensive RG's (meaning prestige, usa custom, j-custom, etc). The craftsmanship, attention to detail, playability, and tone are all top notch. Now, if you're comparing Jems to RG570's or RG550's, then the Jems do have an advantage.

2) I have hurd many people nag about how JEMs are just pricy RGs with Steves name on them.
Technically, a Jem is a super-hot-rodded RG. Or perhaps an RG is a really stripped-down Jem. What distinguishes a Jem from an RG isn't the price--it's the features.

--B
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 12:20 PM

RG are cool. Jem's are also cool. Each of those beloved's have their pro's and con's i belive. Those prestige, J-custom really deliver killer look's, tone and stuff like that. Jem in a manner of which type of JEM do you refer( 7v, 777, etc) to i belive. Say compare the playbality of an RG prestige and JEM jr's. Then compare Jem7v with RG 270. I think for me it's the matter of what you feel is right and good or meaby even better than the other than that's it!
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 PM

Is a Ferrari better than a hotted up Toyota corolla????

Jems are better than your 'standard' RG's in every aspect. But that is for my preferance only.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 12:55 PM

If I had $1800 to spend right now ona guitar, I'd have a hard time choosing between a Jem and one of the new RGT3120s with the neck-thru...and the 3120 is hundreds of $$ cheaper.

~K
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 01:21 PM

http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_opin...ax.htm#j_vs_rg

This applies to the RG5xx and so on... When we're talking about the RG(T)3120's it probably depends more on your preferences....
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel

This applies to the RG5xx and so on... When we're talking about the RG(T)3120's it probably depends more on your preferences....
Yeah, that review probably is a little dated. USA Customs & J-customs aside, it completely neglects the high-end Prestige guitars (e.g., 3120s), which IMO are just as good as Jems in terms of features and quality.

--B
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:33 PM

A friend of mine is attempting to "prestige" an old RG 550.

She's filing the ends of the frets to make them smoother/rounder, going to strip the back of the neck and put a satin finsih on it, so on and so forth . . . however, I don't think it's going to end up being nearly the same as a true top end RG or Jem, you can only "spit and polish" something to a point, and at that point the limitations of what you started with are going to stop you from making things any better.

When she's finished I'll let you know my opinion. My Godmother's son works at a music store and I have played quite a few Jems, sadly I can't afford one, but that's neither here nor there.

I'll let you know how I feel it compares. Keep in mind, just MY opinion, means nothing. :P

Oh, and this "old" RG 550 is old/new stock. It's a brand new guitar that sat in the back of a store for a few years. I've checked it out and the neck is just about perfect, we've already put a set of Evolutions (and an old Fender USA standard single coil) in there, so it sounds great. The maple is a little bright, but that's to be expected. She just didn't like how the sides of the fretboard felt when she slid her hand over the neck. The frets bit, she played on a Jem and loved it, but like me can't afford one, and being a woodworker by trade (she makes wonderful clock bodies, faces and wood figures) she said, "I can make my guitar feel like that." so she's going to give it a run.

Mic
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:47 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel

That applies to non-prestige MIJ RGs. that should be *very* clear but will be re-read / clarified as production has shifted... glen
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
A friend of mine is attempting to "prestige" an old RG 550.

She's filing the ends of the frets to make them smoother/rounder, going to strip the back of the neck and put a satin finsih on it, so on and so forth . . . however, I don't think it's going to end up being nearly the same as a true top end RG or Jem, you can only "spit and polish" something to a point, and at that point the limitations of what you started with are going to stop you from making things any better.

When she's finished I'll let you know my opinion. My Godmother's son works at a music store and I have played quite a few Jems, sadly I can't afford one, but that's neither here nor there.

I'll let you know how I feel it compares. Keep in mind, just MY opinion, means nothing. :P

Oh, and this "old" RG 550 is old/new stock. It's a brand new guitar that sat in the back of a store for a few years. I've checked it out and the neck is just about perfect, we've already put a set of Evolutions (and an old Fender USA standard single coil) in there, so it sounds great. The maple is a little bright, but that's to be expected. She just didn't like how the sides of the fretboard felt when she slid her hand over the neck. The frets bit, she played on a Jem and loved it, but like me can't afford one, and being a woodworker by trade (she makes wonderful clock bodies, faces and wood figures) she said, "I can make my guitar feel like that." so she's going to give it a run.

Mic
I do this on every guitar I file sharp fret ends on, the extent I do it depends on thing like profit margin because an um-perfecto radiusing usually runs around 3 hours. If she doesn't have the proper tools to do this she will probably marr the fretboard quite a bit.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 04:17 PM

I think she's just using a small file to take off enough of the ends to stop them from cutting into her hands, but I really don't know for sure how she's doing it.

It's not my guitar, and she got it really cheap so I don't even think she cares if she screws it up. :P (If she does screw it up I have dibs on the Evos. :P )

And like I said, she's a pro wood worker, you should see some of the amazing things she can do with a bit of wood.

She's doing it in her spare time at her shop, I most likely won't see the finished product for a long while, but I'll let you know how she does with it.

If it turns out good I may ask her to do mine, my 520 has a couple of sharp edges on the high E side of the fretboard, but as much as I'm playing it, they are already starting to round off anyway.

Mic
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Are JEMs better than RGs?

Yes... and No

A top of the line JEM is just different to a top of the line RG. At this level it's not about "better" it's about prefer. What woods you prefer, what pickups you prefer, what visual style you prefer etc. etc. etc.

Is a JEM7VWH "better" than an RG170. I'd say yes. Better quality woods better quality hardware etc. etc. etc.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 06:57 PM

First there was a Jem, then the RG. So a RG is a downgraded Jem. Less detail, so no monkey grip etc. I prefer the sound of the thicker Jem necks.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Vendor

First cam the Jem, then the RG, but then came US [see other thread], Prestige and J Custom RG's. As with anything finished by hand you will find varience in finish quality but Jems are Prestige quality, J Custom goes just a bit further [for the most part].
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
First there was a Jem, then the RG. So a RG is a downgraded Jem. Less detail, so no monkey grip etc. I prefer the sound of the thicker Jem necks.
You need to get your mitts on an RG1880! Makes any Jem neck look like a piece of paper!

--B

Tags
air norton , equipped guitar , guitar shop , jem neck , maple fret , maple fretboard , monkey grip , music store , paf pro , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , rosewood fretboard , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode