JEMs even worth it? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

JEMs even worth it?

I don't know...If you look at all these post there about how people just purchased JEMs and they out out of tune etc... or have some kind of issue. Has anyone got a JEM that was fine out of the box? I mean, I'm sure it needed a setup, but was it fine to the point were they were like no electrical problems or things were you needed to file down stuff etc... Hmm... I was just thinking because you when you pay $1,800 + for a guitar like this, shouldn't it be PERFECT? Like should you really have to be filing down the nut after buying a guitar for so much money...hmm don't know, I was just scared because I was thinking of buying one, but now I don't know, please you JEM lovers don't yell at me, I might be a little off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:16 PM

Re: JEMs even worth it?

I think that the people who have problems with new Jems are a very small majority of the Jem buying market to be honest. I'm sure there's many more Jems that don't need returning than do.

I think they should be setup perfectly at the factory really, but i doubt Ibanez would want to spend the extra time in the factory to do that unfortunately. I don't remember seeing any threads on here about electrical problems either but hey ho.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:18 PM

The ponit is that Jems do not come perfectly adjusted from Ibanez. Buy from somebody who can do the adjustments for you and you're done.

I love mine.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Well to start no instrument, guitar or otherwise, comes out of the manufacturer's packaging "perfect." The setup which is performed on a JEM takes place in Japan. The instrument is exposed to quite a few variables both in handling and atmosphere before it reaches your hands. These are production guitars not custom shop pieces. A 23k dollar Michael Chen signature violin still needs to be setup properly. I received a 7VSBL a couple days ago. I did grind down the rear of the nut, polish the saddles and re-seat one that was a little askew, adjust the neck, and verify the wiring and soldering. Took a couple hours and now it is as "perfect" as it will ever need to be. Plays like a dream.

Goozman
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 03:50 PM
ZAO

i got my jem7brm a week ago and i love it. i think its worth the money. mine was setup the way i like it from the start. i buy alot of guitars and most of them have ****ty setups and ive played alot of jems that had needed a setup. but they are great guitars and most of them need to be setup the way you like it.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:56 PM

Buy one from Rich -- you'll be all set. Better yet, buy two from Rich.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:02 PM

This is a great question. I've had quite a few Jem's and unfortunately I don't think they get a chance to devote much more than 5-10 minutes on the setup before it leaves the factory. Plus it takes a boat ride here which can't help and obviously the guitar materials may shift...well you get the point. So there are two alternatives, learn how to set up your guitars or deal with someone who does that work for you.

I'm fortunate enough to live close to Rich Harris and he's told me more about setting up Ibanez guitars than I really care to know, but it's been a fun experience and you'll be surprised how quickly you'll learn to spot issues and correct them.

I have experienced guitars that come with excellent set ups consistently - PRS. They do some things that help such as drying the wood before construction, tremendous Q/C and CNC accuracy. I've never had a guitar arrive from them that wasn't set up well. They check the nut heights, etc. The only problem is they are a more expensive although I think you could get a nice bolt on under $1800 if you like them.

I do really like the Ibanez style and feel though. There is a night and day difference between a guitar with a bad or so-so setup and one that is set up well.

Good luck.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Neo brings up a great point that is overlooked as many people HERE purchase from Rich where the new axe is given a complete setup.

most old-timers here "fell in love" with Jems 10+ years ago when prices were different, ibanez customer service was different and the world was different.

to be blunt, i don't know how new "jem customers" at Guitar Cent for example would be thrilled or feel like they got a substantive value for an $1800 JEM as posted - unless they had large amounts of excess income and/or can't play the guitar.

But everyone has their own ideas of "value" and there is a foot for every shoe. .. glen
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 PM

I had small problems for 4-5 days (temperature and humidity change) so need to be re-adjusted by myself and now it's nearly impossible to detune it. (and I use the trem as much crazy as i can..)
I think it is not about the guitar, it's, as you said about the set-up. If you don't know how to do it go to your your nearest guitarshop. If still having problems return it to your Ibanez dealer. JEM's are not Squires', have its own, lets say personality, and you need to know what you really have on your hands and how to take care of it (It's like giving a Ferrari to a 15 years old guy..)
Electrical problems? not mine. (Contact Cleaner and that's all!!)
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:34 PM

Well I bought the JEM I just received from a "warehouse" store and set it up myself. I feel as though I received a fine value for my money. To add I do not have large amounts of excess income to blow on equipment and can most certainly make a go at playing the instrument. Granted I would have loved to get one from Rich to keep my money in the community but I wanted a VSBL and there were no more to be had there. Many people buy from retailers such as guitar center form many reasons.

Goozman
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Vendor

Many people, bluntly, just aren't that picky. How many times has somebody posted "I got it from a warehouse and it played like buttah right out of the box!!". Only occasionally do I give credence to even those that say that about one I shipped, and then only because I "know" that individual was as picky as I am by talking to them.

Setups are only good for a couple weeks or until the weather changes a bit, or you turn the heater on. You're not going to fix 1+mm first fret action with an "adjustment", and that's no small grind to the nut taking off .8mm!! Especially when it's usually an angle grind called for where you need .8 off the bass but only .4 off the trebble.

Who's that picky about saddle radius that wanders up and down by .2mm? Who's that picky about having the fret ends radiused and smoothed far past what the factory gives you? Some of us are overly picky, some are just as happy with what they get at GC, it all depends on the perspective.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:54 PM

cmon Rich just admit it when it comes to Ibanez guitars you are the set up God.....lol
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Vendor

Nope, I'm just the most anal
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goozman
Well I bought the JEM I just received from a "warehouse" store and set it up myself. I feel as though I received a fine value for my money. To add I do not have large amounts of excess income to blow on equipment and can most certainly make a go at playing the instrument. Granted I would have loved to get one from Rich to keep my money in the community but I wanted a VSBL and there were no more to be had there. Many people buy from retailers such as guitar center form many reasons.

Goozman
Please re-read and not misquote. Noone is debating where to purchase from in this thread.

What i a stating with no uncertainty that an $1800 jem purchase that comes all out-of-whack setup, etc. will most likely lead to less than stellar customer satisfaction... glen
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 06:12 PM

Thats no BS from Rich regarding nut height. I was sitting at .85 mm out of the box. I can assure you it did not play like butter out of the box. I misspent most of my youth as a guitar tech and consequently setup is something I'm familiar with. Someone with less experience would not have had such a great experience. However if I had no experiece with setup and wanted to buy a $1500+ guitar I would certainly buy it from someone who is capable of insureing proper setup on purchase. Setup is not finite. The bow of your neck changes like the wind.

Goozman

P.S. Gary Brawer is a great guy for a setup if you are in the bay area and need to have one done. I think he charges around a hundred bucks now.

Tags
custom jem , custom shop , floyd rose , fret board , guitar tech , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jem custom , jem neck , neck angle , nut height , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode