Jem's with Gold - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Jem's with Gold

I've been lurking on the site for awhile now. Just wondering though, I've noticed that alot of folks hate gold hardware on the Jem's? Why is this?? I happen to think the gold looks great on the Jem's. Especially the Jem7v, it does make it look very classy in my opinion. Kind of sets it apart from the average run of the mill super strat's with black or chrome hardware.

So what say you??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM

Re: Jem's with Gold

Gold just looks tacky to my eye, whether it's the trim on a car or the hardware on a guitar. I've gotten used to it on the Jem, though it's still not my preference. Certainly, "classy" is absolutely the last word I would use to describe it. Classy would be chrome hardware in my mind, and I mean really bright and shiny chrome, not Ibanez's cosmo chrome, which is fine too, just not my idea of classy either. The 7vwh is among my least favorite Jems in terms of pure appearance.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:06 PM

Reviews: 21

I think it depends on who you are and what you're going for. There were a few times that I thought of going with white Dimarzios with gold poles in the road flare red RG550. Classy is certainly NOT what I'd call that look, but I'm not thinking "classy" with that idea.
I like the gold and white on the VWH. I like cosmo better. Now if you want to talk classy, I think the new JS2400 in white with chrome hardware is NICE!!!
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:14 PM

I don't like it. But like djohns74 said, I've also gotten used to it, at least on 7vwh.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Gold just looks tacky to my eye, whether it's the trim on a car or the hardware on a guitar. I've gotten used to it on the Jem, though it's still not my preference. Certainly, "classy" is absolutely the last word I would use to describe it. Classy would be chrome hardware in my mind, and I mean really bright and shiny chrome, not Ibanez's cosmo chrome, which is fine too, just not my idea of classy either. The 7vwh is among my least favorite Jems in terms of pure appearance.
Makes sense on a car, I've never cared for gold on a car. I guess guitars are different for me. I think if it's done right it looks great. It's like chrome, I think chrome looks good if it's done right, if not it just looks cheap.

I'm a huge fan of the cosmo black hardware, I think it looks very classy as well. Regular black is nice as well. Chrome has to be my least favorite. Oh well, to each their own.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I love the gold on the JEM7VWH, it looks "righ" with the cosmetics of that guitar, it's supposed to look regal and it does it very nicely. I think the matching gold pole pieces in the humbuckers along with gold screws on the scratchplate are a genius idea.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Reviews: 13

love it or hate it.. its iconic!

personally I love the gold... its classy in a Dolly Parton sort of way
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM

I think the gold looks sweet. It matches my teef.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 PM

I think a jem with a tree of life and pickups with an aged gold leaf type effect would look amazing on a black guitar with cream aged binding.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I love the gold on the JEM7VWH, it looks "righ" with the cosmetics of that guitar, it's supposed to look regal and it does it very nicely. I think the matching gold pole pieces in the humbuckers along with gold screws on the scratchplate are a genius idea.
See that's kind of how I view it. I guess another good point is, you don't see many guitars with gold hardware. So to me it's a little different than the rest.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
See that's kind of how I view it. I guess another good point is, you don't see many guitars with gold hardware. So to me it's a little different than the rest.
A Gibson Moderne is something you don't see a lot of and is a little different than the rest. That doesn't mean I find the thing particularly attractive.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
A Gibson Moderne is something you don't see a lot of and is a little different than the rest. That doesn't mean I find the thing particularly attractive.

Yeah, I think I could agree with you on that one. Looks like a whale sat on the headstock....
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

I've never liked gold since I was like 2 haha
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Reviews: 7

gold on a jem makes me think of an expensive caravan (definitely not classy)
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Never mind, spam removed.

Last edited by djohns74; 01-18-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Previous post deleted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode