Ibanez JEM Forum banner

which jems have the thinnest necks?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kuma 
#1 ·
which jems have the thinnest necks?

#3 ·
As far as I recall, the DBK has always been erroneously listed as having a Wizard neck when it actually has a Super Wizard.

Mine certainly feels thinner than any other Jem neck I've tried, though I've never played a 90. It's SO thin! More like a Saber or something, but with a sweet satiny finish. Very playable.

[runs off to play DBK]

Gray

#5 ·
the shape on 10:07 pm on Mar. 31, 2002
As far as I recall, the DBK has always been erroneously listed as having a Wizard neck when it actually has a Super Wizard.
The wizard and the super wizard are basically the same necks with the only difference being the bubinga reinforcement strip in the super wizard. They have the same profiles and everything.

#6 ·
Um, okay. [shrug]

My DBK feels like a popsicle stick compared to my other Jems. I am positive that if I callipered (?) the first fret on that and, say, the DSY or VWH, then ol' Lumpy would win first place in the anorexia stakes. Seriously, it feels like about 17mm, a lot like my 540p in fact, which I remember was the thinnest neck Ibanez made.

Hey, I'm no techspert, it just feels thinner.

Gray

#8 ·
Here we go again...thanks Ibanez for your wonderfully accurate and consistent terminology and specifications..;)

'Super Wizard' is a designation only used overseas.  It is identical to the US 'Wizard' in specs.  It has nothing to do with the neck wood.

The DBK, DNA, and 90 have a similar, but not identical, neck profile to the Wizard.  They are 17mm at the nut, like the Wizard, but supposedly the dimensions differ further on down the neck.

The PBK, VDY, and VSK have Wizard profile necks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.