which jems have the thinnest necks? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

which jems have the thinnest necks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 12:26 PM

VDY, VSK, VBK, DNA, DBK, and the 90th I believe all have the wizard neck, that is the thinnest you'll find on a Jem, or even most Ibanez's for that matter!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:07 PM

As far as I recall, the DBK has always been erroneously listed as having a Wizard neck when it actually has a Super Wizard.

Mine certainly feels thinner than any other Jem neck I've tried, though I've never played a 90. *It's SO thin! *More like a Saber or something, but with a sweet satiny finish. *Very playable.

[runs off to play DBK]

Gray
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

see the SPEC SHEET for more info

JEM7PBK has the wizard neck
JEM777VDY has the wizard neck

the newer JEMs (listed by LGM) is more a cross between the original JEM neck and the actual Wizard neck featured in most RGs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 11:24 PM

Quote:
the shape on 10:07 pm on Mar. 31, 2002
As far as I recall, the DBK has always been erroneously listed as having a Wizard neck when it actually has a Super Wizard.
The wizard and the super wizard are basically the same necks with the only difference being the bubinga reinforcement strip in the super wizard. *They have the same profiles and everything.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 12:45 AM

Um, okay. [shrug]

My DBK feels like a popsicle stick compared to my other Jems. *I am positive that if I callipered (?) the first fret on that and, say, the DSY or VWH, then ol' Lumpy would win first place in the anorexia stakes. *Seriously, it feels like about 17mm, a lot like my 540p in fact, which I remember was the thinnest neck Ibanez made.

Hey, I'm no techspert, it just feels thinner.

Gray
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 03:44 AM

Why should a custom made neck like a 90th's be just like an RG's? Thin doesn't mean the same...:angryfire: I've got a big slab of bubinga proving it...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 09:15 AM

Here we go again...thanks Ibanez for your wonderfully accurate and consistent terminology and specifications..

'Super Wizard' is a designation only used overseas. *It is identical to the US 'Wizard' in specs. *It has nothing to do with the neck wood.

The DBK, DNA, and 90 have a similar, but not identical, neck profile to the Wizard. *They are 17mm at the nut, like the Wizard, but supposedly the dimensions differ further on down the neck.

The PBK, VDY, and VSK have Wizard profile necks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 11:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

can someone with a VSK confirm the *exact* neck dimensions ...glen
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 11:05 PM

Don't have exact measurements, but my VSK is definitely a Wizard neck. *Has the smaller frets as well. *Can probably get some specific measurements over the weekend if you like.

Tags
jem neck , neck dimensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode