Jems off ebay - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Jems off ebay

Hey , this has probably been up 1369374 times , so forgive me .. "its my first day" 8
i just wanted to know .. cus i want a jem , but i cant afford a new one ,too expensive . So . i ask you ,

whats your opinion on buying used jems..
my theory is that : once a person gets a jem , he takes good care of it , so it usually is in good condition when it is sold , am i right?

I am very picky on getting a jem that has no visual flaws , because its a jem , and it deserves worshiping
also , of course its important that its no flaw with it to play on either ..

hope youll answer , and again , forgive me for posting this thread that has probably been up before...

Nilsefix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 01:45 PM

I think you'll find both mint guitars and beaters in the used market. I constantly hear on this forum that most people take really good care of their instruments, but I'm not sure if that goes for the general JEM population. Maybe it's just that people hanging out here have a special interest and thus keep their axes in better shape.

If you buy a guitar without seeing it in person, make sure you get some closeup pictures of it first.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 PM

I own 3 Jems, all bought second hand. I've had no problems with one of them. The first thing I do is take the bridge out, setup the action pickups and so on... If you know how to handle the guitar there is no problem. Only if the neck isn't in a good shape, I wouldn't buy it.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 04:06 PM

I bought all three of my Jems (555WH although not considered a true Jem by many people's standards, a 7DBK, 7VWH) and my UVMC off ebay.
The DBK and VWH were dead mint brand new, and I save myself about $1,000 by buying them from ebay. I got a free brand new case with each one.
the 555 was the only one I'm not completely happy with. The UVMC needed a good scrub-down and I had to patch up a small nick on the face under the trem... but other than that plays like a champ. Both were used, and it shows, but I still got good prices on them. It all depends on how much you're willing to gamble. Sometimes you get lucky, which I have, and sometimes you get something you won't be completely happy with, which has also been the case. Personally, I've been pleased moreso than dissapointed, no complaints here : )

Your best bet I think is to look for a VWH, and be willing to spend $1,400 on it. Rich might be able to help you out in that department... always hear good things about him.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 10:47 PM

In my very limited local market, I have happened upon three used JEMs in a couple different stores. Two of which were beat to [email protected]#$%^&*(), the third was in decent shape but had a very sticky fretboard (?!). The moral of the story: don't assume because it's a high-line guitar that it's been taken care of.

I'm sure that there are many happy JEM buyers on E-bay. I've researched that possibilty myself. But, you have to be careful. Carefully read descriptions, check feedback, etc.

If you can be patient, you might just hang on and watch used axes on Ibanez Rules or watch the classifieds right here. With respect to E-bay, I have found that at times it's cheaper to buy new once you factor in shipping and insurance. Deals on E-bay are getting harder to find.

We all understand that $$ is an issue, but you usually get what you pay for!

...Hope this helps.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:03 AM

The feedback on the other auctions the seller has had will pretty much tell you whether you can trust him when he says the guitar is mint or in good condition.
I bought my Jem 7 off ebay about a year ago, it was in very good condition, as decribed, I dont have any regret at all! :P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys , You rock.. thanks for the help

I wont have any money before end of summer anyway , i just wanted to check out the possibilities.. I just bought a Peavey Wolfgang Special , wich is an extremly underrated guitar.. enough ībout that..

Ebay or not i will have to import the guitar anyway. Because in Norway , where i live, jems (all music things in general , but especially jems) are insanly over-priced ..I can check , oh yes.. Right now , when the norwegian currency is very very strong. A Jem 7 Sb .. would cost me .. in dollars : 3873 $ --. aint that sick then i dont know what is..
so ill have to get it from another country , and i guess USA would be the best ...

Thanks Again , and now you know why norwegians import jems

From
Nilsefix
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsefix
Thanks you guys , You rock.. thanks for the help

I wont have any money before end of summer anyway , i just wanted to check out the possibilities.. I just bought a Peavey Wolfgang Special , wich is an extremly underrated guitar.. enough ībout that..

Ebay or not i will have to import the guitar anyway. Because in Norway , where i live, jems (all music things in general , but especially jems) are insanly over-priced ..I can check , oh yes.. Right now , when the norwegian currency is very very strong. A Jem 7 Sb .. would cost me .. in dollars : 3873 $ --. aint that sick then i dont know what is..
so ill have to get it from another country , and i guess USA would be the best ...

Thanks Again , and now you know why norwegians import jems

From
Nilsefix
Check the classifieds.... I ship to Norway. =)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:26 AM

I have had great JEMs off of Ebay and private deals. But the wickedest story is the GMC I got as a gift from a customer. One of his employees had it for sale and he bought it and gave it to me.

The guitar was beaten up so badly. Luckily nothing on the neck, no fret wear, no prob. But the body was beaten up pretty badly for a guitar with practically no play wear. I think the guy must have been into airbands of jumping around in front of the mirror. But a GMC at zero $$ is the right price!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:36 AM

Nislefix,
Check out the classified's here. As most people will ship. but find out the import tax to Norway first - or you may get a shock at customs.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

jea.. i hate this stinkin country.. hehe
ill have the exporters send it as a gift . hehe. so it wont go through customs .. ..
no that would be not smart.. but anyway.. my finances aint high enough for a jem right now. but maybe ill contact you some time

Thanks Again
nilsefix

Tags
peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang special , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode