Are JEM's overrated? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: Are Jem's overrater?
Yes, they are 5 7.14%
No! 23 32.86%
Just overpriced 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Re: Are JEM's overrated?

over priced yes .... overrated .....well to me that would depend on what you mean by overated . if your considering something overrated because of it's price yes , but if your saying overated in playablity or looks i dont think so .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 AM

deffinatly a brilliant guitar but personly i think they are over rated, but personly i think ibanez in genral are over rated, not saying there not awsome instruments, just over rated
post #48 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Reviews: 13

I don't think Yngwie will ever touch a Jem or any Ibanez guitars. He only loves the Strat and that is 1 reason Jem is not overated.
Overprice? hmmm than what about Gibson Lespaul, Fenders, PRS or ESP, most of these are overprice too and I'm not talking those that made in China, Korea or Indonesia.

The Prestige Jem or Prestige RGs(Team J Craft) are all splended instrument infact I love them more than those over price Les Paul or Fenders.
post #49 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp3lin View Post
Overprice? hmmm than what about Gibson Lespaul, Fenders, PRS or ESP, most of these are overprice too and I'm not talking those that made in China, Korea or Indonesia.

The Prestige Jem or Prestige RGs(Team J Craft) are all splended instrument infact I love them more than those over price Les Paul or Fenders.
I agree with what you've said. The JEM, UV and RG are excellent guitars. I have never had any experience with S-Series or JS models however so I can't really comment, but from what I hear I am assured they are equally excellent.

I personally don't think that JEMs are overrated. Surely sales tells you something about that. And playing one does too!

Cheers

Eighty-Seven
post #50 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 AM

I don't think they are either overrated (they are great and 50.000 buyers can't be wrong) or overpriced.

let's look at it this way:

Brian Setzer trib.relic 25kEUR
Clapton masterbuild 20 kEUR
B.B.King 80th b-day. 8 kEUR
Les Paul Jimmy Page 7 kEUR
Les Paul Slash 5 kEUR
Jem 20th 4649 EUR
Dimebag Razorback 4499 EUR
ES-335 Alvin Lee 3899 EUR
EB JP7 piezo 3769 EUR
Jacko PC-1 2699 EUR
Jem7VBK 2399 EUR
ESP KH-2 2279 EUR
EJ Strat 1799 EUR
JS1200 1679 EUR
YJM strat 1599 EUR

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schm...page=1&sort=4d

so a 20th is a lot less expensive than other signature specialty models, while the regular production Jem falls right in the middle of a large group of 'normal' signatures.

The fact that all of these guitars represent the top 5-10% of the entire guitar market, means that to the average customer they are probably out of their league. So expensive yes, overpriced, no!
post #51 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 AM

over rated ? depends on who's doing the rating. For me there's no fundamental issues such as build quality, everything else comes down to personal preference.

over priced ? depends partly on how much money you've got and again, personal preference. Owning a guitar is not just about physical considerations, it's about how it makes you feel when you play it. On paper compare a Jem and a 550 side by side then you would probably conclude the Jem is over priced. However, if a Jem gives you major wood and makes you want to play and an RG does not then it's worth every penny

There's too much personal preference involved to say definitively yes or no. You can only answer from a personal perspective, is a Jem worth it to me.
post #52 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1004 View Post
over rated ? depends on who's doing the rating. For me there's no fundamental issues such as build quality, everything else comes down to personal preference.

over priced ? depends partly on how much money you've got and again, personal preference. Owning a guitar is not just about physical considerations, it's about how it makes you feel when you play it. On paper compare a Jem and a 550 side by side then you would probably conclude the Jem is over priced. However, if a Jem gives you major wood and makes you want to play and an RG does not then it's worth every penny

There's too much personal preference involved to say definitively yes or no. You can only answer from a personal perspective, is a Jem worth it to me.

I have to say - spot on I agree with that....
post #53 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Would you go to a Manchester United website full of their fans and ask who the best soccer team was?
Barcelona?

Regards

André

post #54 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Maybe Ill start a Flame war but I dont give a damn, so this is my opinion.

I have had in 30 years like 18-20 guitars, now I have like 8, two of them Jems a BSB and a BRMR, basically because my son kept bugiing me for almost 8 months because he wanted one, so I registered here after reading a lot of stuff and believed the HYPE, OMG the best axe ever, a fast machine whatever, then came Rich with his site, where you could read thebasically the Jem is a well made guitar but nothing out of this world. Ii grasped that he had to do a proper setup to get them right and he had to return a lot because even some jems are just a POS as the next brand X guitar.

So my son and I went to check them here and we played a VERY nice VWH, I really was surprised because It had the same action and balance as a PRS I played that I liked a lot, so I decided to buy a Jem for my son. Later we learned that all the expensive guitars of that store go to a luthier that lives on the same street for proper setup!!! price for the VWH=2650 USD WOW, I told him to wait and buy it from someone from the jemsite or buy it when we traveled to the states. I put some rules, it had to be less than 1900 and had to be in a near mint condition and with case.
He found his BSB, it was so brand new I could not believe it its a 1997 guitar bough on 2007 and it even had the plastic cover over the pickguard...DARN the GUITAR had been in storage for 8-10 years !!!
I found a BRMR for 1100 in that trip and bought it right away..WHY if I hadnot played both?
Hype simply as that! and the outrageous prices a lot of people are willing to pay for jems, simply put a BRMR for list on the GC was 2677 with taxes, when a very very nice PRS was 2540...

I see Andre has an Atlas guitar that sounds terrific al looks terrific and he says plays terrefic...cost 1100...., the WOW factor of a Jem might be more but a better guitar for the price? NO WAY! Heck I bought the BRMR just because for 1100 is a very good guitar I disasembled it checked it, did a proper setup and now it plays beautifully ans has a very nice action an killer tone, but even as it is is no match for my Jackson RR,even my son who is enamored of his BSB and keeps it in its case uber clean, plays my RR all the time and I play the Les paul Copy a LOT, I only hate the fact that it weight a TON, that for the record the JEMS are incredibly light.

As I posted before the best Ibanez guitar we played in that trip was a Prestige 121 that was going for 560 US in the Ventura GC, simply a beautiful guitar all around, even better than our jems.

My view is that Jems are way overrated for the price, they (most of the time) are kept for colector reasons, and the weird second hand market is just a way to keep unrealistic prices.

Heck even Ibanez KNOWS this and the prices that always go UP and the "anniversary fads" are just a way to keep a market of colectors and what not, and make a huge BUCK out of it, just see the Giger guitar is a case in point...and now other companies are jumping on the "lets wash some brains a make bucks" see the VH strat , the blakie, the Jacksons etc etc....

Simply put they get away with it because a lot of us, let them DO IT....

I like my Jem and my son also like his, but we are not zombies, there are better guitars and better deals... (I am talking list prices here)...

So yes I am saying that the emperor has no clothes, its up to you to notice or keep pretending/comparing.
post #55 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp3lin View Post
I don't think Yngwie will ever touch a Jem or any Ibanez guitars. He only loves the Strat and that is 1 reason Jem is not overated.
Yeah, I agree here.
Name brand is name brand, and you end up paying a high price for a headstock sticker. That's just a fact of life. The guitar is not overpriced in it's categorie, as eviltwin pointed out.
Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, if you mention that brand name to anyone it will immiediately conjure up a certain style of guitar, even a certain type of player and sound. People are willing to pay for that image. Including me.
A JEM is a wonderful and unique guitar, and it's not overpriced for what it is.
Besides, all Sig. models cost a little more. The artist has to get his royalties.
post #56 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs down Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiter View Post
deffinatly a brilliant guitar but personly i think they are over rated, but personly i think ibanez in genral are over rated, not saying there not awsome instruments, just over rated
What would you know...(Probably doesn't even own 1 JEM) a guy that comes into JEMSITE and in his first post he says that EBMM are better than JEMs...
post #57 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM

Cool Re: Are JEM's overrated?

FYI: For everybody in this thread: ALL GUITAR MANUFACTURERS OVERPRICE THEIR GUITARS!!!!
post #58 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:09 PM

Cool Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Barcelona?

Regards

André
Not by a long shot!!! Real Madrid!!! enough said!!!
post #59 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post

My view is that Jems are way overrated for the price,
There you go causing trouble Randy

You have some very good points there, but PRICE wan't involved in the question

I am suprised you don't think more of your Brmr. I absolutely love mine to death!! It's a brilliant guitar. I used to have a Jackson RR. Excellent guitar with a fast neck, but to ME it doesn't stand up to the MR tonewise or in the playability category. And if you want my opinion on PRS, they play like **** (IMHO) And speaking of OVER PRICED

I guess it all just comes down to personal preferrence

Are Jems OVERPRICED?? Hell yes!

Are Jem OVERRATED?? HELL NO!

Will I pay the price for the Jem???

HELL YES
post #60 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
I like my Jem and my son also like his, but we are not zombies, there are better guitars and better deals... (I am talking list prices here)...

So yes I am saying that the emperor has no clothes, its up to you to notice or keep pretending/comparing.
Thank you. Post of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
FYI: For everybody in this thread: ALL GUITAR MANUFACTURERS OVERPRICE THEIR GUITARS!!!!
I agree, but some are more over priced / over hyped / over rated than others... especially when there's a rock star name involved.

An RG550 with a great setup job will play just as good as any JEM. FACT!
Closed Thread

Tags
alder body , atd swirl , beautiful guitar , black headstock , charvel model , chrome hardware , custom guitar , custom shop , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio paf pros , dimarzio pups , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fret level , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , guitar collection , guitar shop , heavy metal , humbucker sound , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , lgm leviathan , local music store , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , mij strat , monkey grip , music store , near mint condition , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , playing guitar , pro neck , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , seymour duncan , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat sound , super strat , toggle switch , trem claw , versatile pickup , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode