Are JEM's overrated? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: Are Jem's overrater?
Yes, they are 5 7.14%
No! 23 32.86%
Just overpriced 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Overrated. No.
OverPriced. Yes. Only becuase I cannot afford one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post

I agree, but some are more over priced / over hyped / over rated than others... especially when there's a rock star name involved.

An RG550 with a great setup job will play just as good as any JEM. FACT!
Yes and No mate... are you not going to tell me Fenders are overpriced, or Gibsons, PRS, Parker, ESP, Jackson, Charvel, Wayne Charvel etc...of course they are, they all are, even the RG550. The point I am trying to make is that if you were to make a custom guitar with your own specs, not only will it be more affordable but also a fantastic player that would surely beat anything you can pick up from the shelf at a music shop.
post #63 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:15 PM

You can't lump all of Fender, Gibson, Jackson, etc. into the same bin. We are talking about JEMs, not Ibanez in general, so if you are going to say Fender, then we need to point out models. Is a MIM standard over priced, no, but a $6,000 custom shop model is (imo).

I agree that a 2550 is every bit as good as a JEM for less than half the money, and that is where I get my opinion from.
post #64 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Cool Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
Maybe Ill start a Flame war but I dont give a damn, so this is my opinion.

I have had in 30 years like 18-20 guitars, now I have like 8, two of them Jems a BSB and a BRMR, basically because my son kept bugiing me for almost 8 months because he wanted one, so I registered here after reading a lot of stuff and believed the HYPE, OMG the best axe ever, a fast machine whatever, then came Rich with his site, where you could read thebasically the Jem is a well made guitar but nothing out of this world. Ii grasped that he had to do a proper setup to get them right and he had to return a lot because even some jems are just a POS as the next brand X guitar.

So my son and I went to check them here and we played a VERY nice VWH, I really was surprised because It had the same action and balance as a PRS I played that I liked a lot, so I decided to buy a Jem for my son. Later we learned that all the expensive guitars of that store go to a luthier that lives on the same street for proper setup!!! price for the VWH=2650 USD WOW, I told him to wait and buy it from someone from the jemsite or buy it when we traveled to the states. I put some rules, it had to be less than 1900 and had to be in a near mint condition and with case.
He found his BSB, it was so brand new I could not believe it its a 1997 guitar bough on 2007 and it even had the plastic cover over the pickguard...DARN the GUITAR had been in storage for 8-10 years !!!
I found a BRMR for 1100 in that trip and bought it right away..WHY if I hadnot played both?
Hype simply as that! and the outrageous prices a lot of people are willing to pay for jems, simply put a BRMR for list on the GC was 2677 with taxes, when a very very nice PRS was 2540...

I see Andre has an Atlas guitar that sounds terrific al looks terrific and he says plays terrefic...cost 1100...., the WOW factor of a Jem might be more but a better guitar for the price? NO WAY! Heck I bought the BRMR just because for 1100 is a very good guitar I disasembled it checked it, did a proper setup and now it plays beautifully ans has a very nice action an killer tone, but even as it is is no match for my Jackson RR,even my son who is enamored of his BSB and keeps it in its case uber clean, plays my RR all the time and I play the Les paul Copy a LOT, I only hate the fact that it weight a TON, that for the record the JEMS are incredibly light.

As I posted before the best Ibanez guitar we played in that trip was a Prestige 121 that was going for 560 US in the Ventura GC, simply a beautiful guitar all around, even better than our jems.

My view is that Jems are way overrated for the price, they (most of the time) are kept for colector reasons, and the weird second hand market is just a way to keep unrealistic prices.

Heck even Ibanez KNOWS this and the prices that always go UP and the "anniversary fads" are just a way to keep a market of colectors and what not, and make a huge BUCK out of it, just see the Giger guitar is a case in point...and now other companies are jumping on the "lets wash some brains a make bucks" see the VH strat , the blakie, the Jacksons etc etc....

Simply put they get away with it because a lot of us, let them DO IT....

I like my Jem and my son also like his, but we are not zombies, there are better guitars and better deals... (I am talking list prices here)...

So yes I am saying that the emperor has no clothes, its up to you to notice or keep pretending/comparing.

Comparing a JEM to a Jackson RR is plain stupidity!!! they both play good,
and I don't think one plays better than the other, they just sound different and can do different things in a given playing situation.
If the Prestige you tried played better is because your JEMs must be set up incorrectly and you obviously don't know how to do a set up or tell if a set up is done correctly. It sounds like your playing nightmares may be due to the fact that you are used to playing cheap guitars only.
post #65 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
I agree that a 2550 is every bit as good as a JEM for less than half the money, and that is where I get my opinion from.
Except for the pick-ups, surely....
post #66 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 PM

Cool Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You can't lump all of Fender, Gibson, Jackson, etc. into the same bin. We are talking about JEMs, not Ibanez in general, so if you are going to say Fender, then we need to point out models. Is a MIM standard over priced, no, but a $6,000 custom shop model is (imo).

All fender signature models are overpriced SRV, EJ, JIMMI HENDRIX, YJM etc...
I don't think I have to go on, I have never liked Fender much except for the ultra cool HM Strat!!! (in my eyes Fender scored a 10 with that guitar, sadly they decided to discontinue it) Now that was a guitar with great features and a friendly price, I love mine to bits, it get tons of play time. This is the only fender I would touch, perhaps a YJM model too if I could find one for $500 or less.
post #67 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
All fender signature models are overpriced SRV, EJ, JIMMI HENDRIX, YJM etc...
I don't think I have to go on, I have never liked Fender much except for the ultra cool HM Strat!!!
The Hank Marvin or the Japanese 80s contraption...?
post #68 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The Hank Marvin or the Japanese 80s contraption...?
The Japanese 80's contraption!!! AKA the Heavy Metal STRAT to be more precise!!!
post #69 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Fair enough but that's a Strat by name not by nature...it might aswell been a Charvel/Jackson/Kramer etc etc. Still cool but that was Fender blatantly trying to tap into the hair metal market...not suited to it IMO.
post #70 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Dee

Quote:
Yes and No mate... are you not going to tell me Fenders are overpriced, or Gibsons, PRS, Parker, ESP, Jackson, Charvel, Wayne Charvel etc...of course they are, they all are, even the RG550. The point I am trying to make is that if you were to make a custom guitar with your own specs, not only will it be more affordable but also a fantastic player that would surely beat anything you can pick up from the shelf at a music shop.
I paid 400 quid for my RG550 back in 87. I could pick up a used 550 in great condition for that price now (if I could find one), or alternatively I can spend a couple hundred more and buy the new RG 20th (which I have done). I cannot get a custom guitar as good as an RG550 built for the same kind of money. I'd be paying 150 quid for the trem alone.

Some Fender guitars are overpriced, some are not. The really overpriced ones are the signature models. Wayne Charvel hand makes his stuff, and I agree, they're ridiculously overpriced. Older Charvel's were pretty well priced back in the day. I had a Charvel Model 2 for a while. It wasn't very expensive to buy, and even better I got mine for nothing! SOme friend of mine left it at my house and completely forgot about it!

Gibson, PRS, Parker, ESP, Jackson, etc... sure, they may be overpriced, but again, it's generally the signature models that are totally overpriced. Exactly like the JEM is. And that's my point. You are paying MORE for it because it's what Steve Vai plays. I dunno how you could doubt this, Olie.

BTW, the HM Strat RULES! I agree there.
post #71 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Comparing a JEM to a Jackson RR is plain stupidity!!! they both play good,
Stupidity on your part, because the RR costs 600 less than a 7Vwh let alone a 7BRMR, but since you are talking about stupidity, I urge you to take some math classes.

Quote:
and I don't think one plays better than the other, they just sound different and can do different things in a given playing situation.
For the price price/benefit ratio a lot of guitars run rings around a JEM, want a good example... PRS

Quote:
If the Prestige you tried played better is because your JEMs must be set up incorrectly and you obviously don't know how to do a set up or tell if a set up is done correctly.
Oh now you have telepathic powers and you know if I can do set ups, THAT is not the point, the point is a 2400 Guitar SHOULDNT need a setup, you are paying TOP DOLLAR for an instrument that should be perfect the moment you take it out of its case, I urge you to go to the GC and take any 2500 PRS, or jackson and check if it need "proper" setup. but hey I am not the one used to playing cheap guitars (if you took the liberty to check the pictures of my guitars you should know, but you are the kind to engage the mouth instead of using your brain before having any facts..

Quote:
It sounds like your playing nightmares may be due to the fact that you are used to playing cheap guitars only.
Sound like you dont know crap about good guitars and you want to keep paying top bucks for jems, Hey I sell you my BRMR for 1800, I make a quick 700+ out of a blabering fool who cant see the reality...DEAL?
post #72 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 PM

here is an equation that took many scientists years to setup

JEM is not = to Overrated, maybe overpriced but still

Last edited by newbieguitarmaker; 02-15-2007 at 07:15 PM.
post #73 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Except for the pick-ups, surely....
Yeah, but with "better" pickups would the 2550 be worth twice as much? Besides, some might actually prefer the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups to Evo's or Breeds, etc.
post #74 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, but with "better" pickups would the 2550 be worth twice as much? Besides, some might actually prefer the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups to Evo's or Breeds, etc.
well gold hardware adds dollars, then the special titanium dioxide white paint, and the hastle of putting in the vine inlay and the materials just for the inlay and the extra routing for the trem, dimarzio pups and the grip would add a pretty good amt but not as much as ibanez sells it for
post #75 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
Stupidity on your part, because the RR costs 600 less than a 7Vwh let alone a 7BRMR, but since you are talking about stupidity, I urge you to take some math classes.

For the price price/benefit ratio a lot of guitars run rings around a JEM, want a good example... PRS

Oh now you have telepathic powers and you know if I can do set ups, THAT is not the point, the point is a 2400 Guitar SHOULDNT need a setup, you are paying TOP DOLLAR for an instrument that should be perfect the moment you take it out of its case, I urge you to go to the GC and take any 2500 PRS, or jackson and check if it need "proper" setup. but hey I am not the one used to playing cheap guitars (if you took the liberty to check the pictures of my guitars you should know, but you are the kind to engage the mouth instead of using your brain before having any facts..

Sound like you dont know crap about good guitars and you want to keep paying top bucks for jems, Hey I sell you my BRMR for 1800, I make a quick 700+ out of a blabering fool who cant see the reality...DEAL?
You're stating your opinion as fact, you might like the RR better because you're more comfortable with it but for a lot of other people there is no comparison. If you like your jackson better, then fine, but that doesn't mean it is better. Judging by the rest of your collection I don't know why the hell you bought a JEM in the first place, you were never going to like it.
Closed Thread

Tags
alder body , atd swirl , beautiful guitar , black headstock , charvel model , chrome hardware , custom guitar , custom shop , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio paf pros , dimarzio pups , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fret level , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , guitar collection , guitar shop , heavy metal , humbucker sound , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , lgm leviathan , local music store , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , mij strat , monkey grip , music store , near mint condition , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , playing guitar , pro neck , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , seymour duncan , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat sound , super strat , toggle switch , trem claw , versatile pickup , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode