Are JEM's overrated? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

View Poll Results: Are Jem's overrater?
Yes, they are 5 7.14%
No! 23 32.86%
Just overpriced 42 60.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Yes they are a bit overrated. Their prices are sky-high compared to other guitars. Yes, they look beautiful, play beautiful, sound beautiful. I love my 7VWH.

Everyone may be droning about a JEM but you have to try yourself to see if it's worth what it costs. It's basically an RG with a vine inlay and you could get that with a J-Custom. It all comes to personal preference. It's like paying more for a Mercedes over a VW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
All fender signature models are overpriced SRV, EJ, JIMMI HENDRIX, YJM etc...
Sorry Olie, but the Eric Johnson strat is one of the nicest made Fenders you can buy for the money. You get cellulous lacquer finish 57' body, custom shop pups, and a 1-piece quarter-sawn maple neck for $1600 MAP. That is custom shop quality for under $2000.

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that is my opinion.

YMMV
post #78 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Reviews: 10
Question Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Fair enough but that's a Strat by name not by nature...it might aswell been a Charvel/Jackson/Kramer etc etc. Still cool but that was Fender blatantly trying to tap into the hair metal market...not suited to it IMO.
What makes it so different from it's MIJ Stratocaster counterparts???
is it just because the H S S (Fender has done that to the regular strat line, it has even equipped them with Kahlers and OFR) pickup configuration and the cool colors that you're being prejudiced??? why was it a blatant attempt??? in what way???
I can put my HM Strat side to side with any other signature/ high end guitar and it's no better nor is it any less!!! If anything Fender finally had the guts to make
a different and improved version (IMHO) of the Strat and I love it!!! the neck, the tone the pickups just sound killer, that thing is really one of the most versatile guitars I own!!!
post #79 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
well gold hardware adds dollars, then the special titanium dioxide white paint, and the hastle of putting in the vine inlay and the materials just for the inlay and the extra routing for the trem, dimarzio pups and the grip would add a pretty good amt but not as much as ibanez sells it for
Yeah, but gold hardware looks like poop! Just my opinion. They ruined the VWH with that obnoxious crap hardware! The lion's claw and grip are done in a few seconds by a machine. The inlay route is also done by a machine and then glued in by hand. As you said, these things don't make the guitar worth what it sells for. They could knock 500 bucks off the price at least and it'd be reasonable.
post #80 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, but with "better" pickups would the 2550 be worth twice as much? Besides, some might actually prefer the Dimarzio/IBZ pickups to Evo's or Breeds, etc.
My thoughts exactly. However, don't get me started on the OEM pups in a $800 guitar. Hell even $500 Schecters get real Duncans or EMGs.
post #81 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Dee

I like the Dimarzio/IBZ! I think they are decent, versatile pickups, and that's obviously what Ibanez needed to put in there so it can achieve a good assortment of sounds to suit everyone. I know other people dislike them, but I think they're very good.
post #82 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
My thoughts exactly. However, don't get me started on the OEM pups in a $800 guitar. Hell even $500 Schecters get real Duncans or EMGs.
You mean duncan design and EMG HZ's. Even the V7/8 were alot better than those.
post #83 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Are JEM's overrated?

Quote:
Sorry Olie, but the Eric Johnson strat is one of the nicest made Fenders you can buy for the money. You get cellulous lacquer finish 57' body, custom shop pups, and a 1-piece quarter-sawn maple neck for $1600 MAP. That is custom shop quality for under $2000.

Value is in the eye of the beholder of course, but that is my opinion.

YMMV
I have played it and it is a very nice guitar indeed but I would not shell out $1600 for it at all, elcid was selling one a while ago like for $800 I don't recall exactly, at that price I would be more tempted to consider it but as I said before not a strat man really. To each his own
post #84 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 PM

They could knock off 500 bucks and still would have a considerable profit margin on the guitar.

I don't see why people are so fierce about this. It's just a fact that JEMs are over-priced. We are giving the extra money because they look cool, and they are Steve Vai's choice, and they don't require new PUs (for a majority of people).

I agree that gold hardware could be better. Come on, man, PIA is the most beautiful JEM ever to exist. Chrome hardware is just great on VWH.
post #85 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I like the Dimarzio/IBZ! I think they are decent, versatile pickups, and that's obviously what Ibanez needed to put in there so it can achieve a good assortment of sounds to suit everyone. I know other people dislike them, but I think they're very good.
Oh I am not saying the pups do not accomplish what they are supposed to (all around good sound), and I agree that they are not as bad as people make them out to be. However if you buy a guitar with DiMarzio PAF Pros or Duncan 59s and don’t like them, you can sell them for a good price and get something different. You can get $50-$60 for one Duncan, and you will be lucky to get $60 for all three OEM Ibanez pups.

My point was not the sound, but the perceived value.
post #86 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
You mean duncan design and EMG HZ's. Even the V7/8 were alot better than those.
No, I mean Duncan JB/59 or real EMG 85.
post #87 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No, I mean Duncan JB/59 or real EMG 85.
You're exaggerating the price then and the guitars even close to the price range with real SD or EMG are fixed, and you know how much an edge pro is worth.
post #88 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S View Post
I have played it and it is a very nice guitar indeed but I would not shell out $1600 for it at all, elcid was selling one a while ago like for $800 I don't recall exactly, at that price I would be more tempted to consider it but as I said before not a strat man really. To each his own
I wish he was selling it for $800!!

Anyway, you just wrote that you are not a strat man, and that is fine of course. However, the fact that you do not care for them does not change the quality of the guitar. Lets not blend what we like personally with the conversation at hand, which is the value of the JEM.

Do I like the JEMs, of course I do. However I can't see shelling out almost $2000 for what is basically a 2550 with an inlay.

Really, all I want from Ibanez is the Prestige 1550 with an alder body, and I will put my own stinkin' pups in it.
post #89 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crevis View Post
You're exaggerating the price then and the guitars even close to the price range with real SD or EMG are fixed, and you know how much an edge pro is worth.
Perhaps you are confusing AUS with US dollars.

A Schecter C-1 Blackjack has a MAP of $550 and gets a set neck, mahogany body and Seymour Duncan's JB/59 combo. However it is a fixed bridge model, so go with the C-1 Hellraiser and get the whammy and EMG 81/85 for $650.
post #90 of 185 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are confusing AUS with US dollars.

A Schecter C-1 Blackjack has a MAP of $550 and gets a set neck, mahogany body and Seymour Duncan's JB/59 combo. However it is a fixed bridge model, so go with the C-1 Hellraiser and get the whammy and EMG 81/85 for $650.
Waa, that guitar is $1100 US here. and no I'm not a ****in idiot.
Closed Thread

Tags
alder body , atd swirl , beautiful guitar , black headstock , charvel model , chrome hardware , custom guitar , custom shop , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio paf pros , dimarzio pups , eric clapton , eric johnson , eric johnson strat , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fret level , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , guitar collection , guitar shop , heavy metal , humbucker sound , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , jimmy page , les paul , les paul custom , lgm leviathan , local music store , locking tuners , mahogany body , maple neck , mij strat , monkey grip , music store , near mint condition , paf pro , paf pros , parker fly , playing guitar , pro neck , randy rhoads , ray vaughan , seymour duncan , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat sound , super strat , toggle switch , trem claw , versatile pickup , yjm strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode