JEMs for sale - Notice something peculiar? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale - Notice something peculiar?

Anyone notice how cheap JEMs (aside from the PMC) have been going for on EBAY lately? I have not seen so many JEM guitars under $900 since about 4 or 5 years ago. VBKs for less than $700, NEONs for $500 to $700, FP's going for less than $850, BFPs going for less than $950 and LNGs going for less than $1000.

I wonder what has made the JEM go down in resale price lately. Is it that everyone is dumping old JEMs to get the new one? What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 02:52 PM

JEMs for sale

I think it is just the general state of the economy.
Out,
GP
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 03:02 PM
Vendor

JEMs for sale

I think anybody that looks at 1 week worth of sales and thinks there's a pattern should stay out of the stock market. Beaters are bringing less (except for the beater FP that went over $850) and when clean will bring the money.
post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale

Hell man since the DNA came out the JEMs all took a trip to "jacked up price" ville and have been there (beater or not) until recently. I was seeing JEM777DY's with scratches and dents go for $950 when they would not have fetched more than $700 before the DNA came out. *You have to admit that with the DNAs coming out at their suggested list price people took another look at their GMCs and PMCs and JEM10s and said "Hell if that is worth $5000 list then mine is worth more than what they are currently going for!"

I remember a discussion about this after the DNAs came out and we all started seeing the prices of JEMs getting jacked up. No one knew whether it was the DNA being issued at its list price or just if the JEM was getting to be more popular again.
post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Vendor

JEMs for sale

Sorry, but wasn't it you that sold a Jem10 for $4000 a year before the DNA's came out? Of course the DNA's had an affect on the swirl market, I stated many times that the price of other MC's would be on the rise afterwards. Jem10's are still on the rise, but not to $4000 for used played ones (close if your initials are KJG).

Lets talk apples and apples. The cleanest models are always going to be in demand and sell high, whether it's an RB or a 10th. These ebay wonders that are selling short aren't in this class. *And in the end ebay is no judge of the market as it's fully dependent on who see's it and who wants it in a 7 day window. It also reflects non responsive sellers, sellers with low feedback, wether it got a blurb in the Buy/Sell/Talk section of this Forum. I don't think the market is off any, with the exception of the 7 string market where only the MC's have withstood.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 05:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEMs for sale

i've said for along time the market was grossly overinflated.

call this a reality check.

exceptions are N.O.S. type brand-new pieces.

your mileage may vary
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:11 PM

JEMs for sale

Not entirely thread specific, but since Dream Theater hit the stage in the US this tour, a ton of JPMs have been going up too, and they are selling at high prices, or at least it seems high to me. *EBs being the exception, they don't seem be getting the reaction the sellers probably wished for...just my observation, right wrong or indifferent.
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale

Quote:
Rich on 5:23 pm on Mar. 26, 2002
Sorry, but wasn't it you that sold a Jem10 for $4000 a year before the DNA's came out?
lol yeah but like you would not take $4000 for a JEM10 if someone offered it to you!!! lol Remember he offered it to me. I put it on EBAY expecting to get out of it what they normally go for.

I do agree with you though that EBAY can be misleading because of feedback ratings and whatnot but I stand with Glen on this one that the market is DEFINITELY overinflated.

Rich

I like that "JEM" you got with the PMC neck on it. Whats the story on that one?
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale

Anyone remember when the camouflage JPM was selling for around $700 if you were ble to give it away? Whats the price on those now? Over a grand? lol
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Vendor

JEMs for sale

Uh, what Jem with a PMC neck? There was an RG I bought with a PMC neck.
post #11 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale

lol Yup thats the one. Sorry I forgot to put myself in [sarcastic mode] I saw that the guy thought it was a JEM and labeled it as such on EBAY. I saw the picture when doing a search for JEMs and did not see a handle anywhere. Then when I saw the guitar, I wondered what "dude" was sniffing to think it was a JEM. I guess for someone who does not know any better, the PMC neck might have confused them into thinking the had a JEM.

So keep the neck and toss the body?
post #12 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Vendor

JEMs for sale

Keep the neck and throw an RG neck on it, back to ebay
post #13 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

JEMs for sale

AH...master...... I am but a mere grasshopper that is still learning from your actions. lol
post #14 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 11:13 AM

JEMs for sale

Honestly speaking, I think you guys are really fortunate to be able to get such prices for your guitars. That is if you're selling them, the used market here in Singapore is terrible. No one here really appreciates the value of a jem, or any guitar for that matter, hence resale values are really terrible. I know a couple of people here who end up pedaling their guitars off ebay. I remember getting my mint condition P3 for about 800 Singapore dollars! Imagine that!

Chris.
post #15 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 02:37 PM

JEMs for sale

Quote:
rikkbeatty on 6:49 pm on Mar. 26, 2002
AH...master...... I am but a mere grasshopper that is still learning from your actions. lol
Shouldn't that be "learning from your auctions?" :lame:
Closed Thread

Tags
clear coat , guitar players , local music store , music store , pickguard screws , trem plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode