Jems and Universes that never were - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Jems and Universes that never were

I have a long drive back and forth to work so I have plenty of time to think about weird things like this but I thought it would be an interesting twist on a favored topic.

We've often discussed our dream Jems and UV's or what we would consider doing to our own guitars but I'm curious to know if there are basic concepts that anyone is truly surprised Ibanez didn't put into production.

I haven't seen another topic exactly like this before I started it.

Before anyone posts, please remember this isn't necessarily based on personal preferences and isn't a "dream-Jem/UV" topic.

Please consider the changing music trends, the changes in aesthetics among Ibanez guitars and other brands in the industry, and what is more popular in the market (but specify if you are looking back in time at a different market). Don't forget that Vai approves models prior to production so if you reply, also think if it's something vai would use or approve it as something related to him.

Example:
I'm surprised we haven't seen a bright blue, orange, other Graphic, or rosewood with 3-color pyramids on production Jems prior to 1992-93.
Currently, I would've expected to see something similar to the BH guitar and/or perhaps something with a hardtail or even a later model with the other-type Monkey Grip after '92-'93. I was surprised that there wasn't an anniversary UV or even another Ibanez 7-string commemorating their involvement with 7-string guitars. I'm also surprised we haven't seen a production red Jem or any Jem or UV with figured woods.

I'm just curious what you all think.

Mike 777 Haug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 02:11 PM

looking through Steve's guitars there are a number of guitars that have been made but never made it to production...

the FP with pyramid neck.
the Orange MC
the purple floral
white hardtail green vine on maple
the strong arm jem (graphic)
the blue swirl UV
the mirrored UV
etc.

I guess in the end it is a marketing call for Ibanez and Steve Vai that some guitars make it to the stores and some dont. Natch!

For me the ones I would have thought would make it are...
a swirled anniversary UV
a red jem

and that is at any time not just before 92/93

thats my 2p for now
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 02:32 PM

I think it would be real interesting to see the list of what Steve hasn't allowed Ibanez to put on the market, and the ideas they've come up with...
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 03:33 PM

I think that the ones that was put into production reflects Steve's mind pretty good.
The late 80s with the neons, then the swirls and then a more classy period with the VWH and the latest VSBL.

I look forward to Steve's mid life crises . When other people buy red sport cars, he will issue some wild mindboggling JEMs.
Well, I hope he will
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 03:39 PM

My thoughts are sort along the same line.... It actually to me seems to be sort of dry out there. The only excitement to come out lately was the blue Jem. Prior to that was the some what controversial DNA. Other than that it's been quiet. I really thought there would be an anniversary UV,,, and was sort of bummed it was looked over. Obviously market, profit margins have alot to do with what gets made. I am still keeping my fingers crossed however. Joe is now playing a 7 string, Steve was shown just recently in the studio with the old polka dotted UV. That was a very promissing gesture. For what ever reason there is just not enough 7 string material coming out like many thought there would be. Sadly it's been sort of a trend. A friend of mine Toshi has been playing full on with 7 strings and getting noticed, but it just seems to be to a select crowd.
OOOPs sorry about the soap box.
The world need another 7 string big time! Who knows perhaps Carvin is building something secretly behind the scenes....
I say bring back the bright colors and maple necks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~A
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:36 PM
MM

Forgive the cross-post from the Vai.com thread, but his post kinda applies to this topic too:

For those of you that want to check them all out, I'm updating the guitars in the guitar gallery, as well as adding all the guitars that AREN'T there yet. I just uploaded the following, with new clear images of each, front and back:

- The original LNG Jem
- The 7RB prototype
- An early UV777MC proto
- The Burnt Universe
- The polka-dot UV
- The Mirrorball UV
- The PAW carved UV

I'll be uploading more this afternoon and this evening incuding:

- The Mirror-top Jem
- FLO
- The only 90th UV prototype
- A 77FP with Roland synth controller
- Steve's 2003 JemVWH
- Another early UV777MC that is on most magazine covers.

Also, almost ready to go are:
- FLO II
- Bad Horsie
- Jem Strat
- Sitar
- The Tom Anderson Visual Assult Instrument
- JEM77GMC proto
- 7PBK used in the ALS video

And a whole lot more. Taking all these photos is time consuming, but editing, clean-up. color correction and photoshop takes even longer.

This will be an excellent guide to a number of guitars that never became production models, as well as one-off custom guitars built for Steve - some of which may inspire production models of the future.

Enjoy! And let me know your thoughts and comments..

- MM
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Garrow
A friend of mine Toshi has been playing full on with 7 strings and getting noticed, but it just seems to be to a select crowd.
~A
That can't be the same Toshi can it? how many are there?
Did he go to Berklee and find his way thru chicago in Spandex pants and long braids sucking wind thru wayyyy too much gear?

~K
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:57 PM

Awesome MM- can't wait, and keep up the good work!
-Ben
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 PM

MM,
Can you shed some light on something that's caught my eye for ages, and now brought back to mind by the updated pictures on Vai.com:

The original LNG - it doesn't have an Edge trem on it - what is on there instead?

=]
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:47 PM
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
MM,
Can you shed some light on something that's caught my eye for ages, and now brought back to mind by the updated pictures on Vai.com:

The original LNG - it doesn't have an Edge trem on it - what is on there instead?

=]
Hi Steve,

thanks for your question - you've actually reminded me of something too, and you'll find you've opened up a can of worms...

The trem is a Kahler, and the recess is slightly modified to match the shape of the trem. But it's in the back spring cavity where things get interesting. there's actually a mechanism that locks the trem, effectively turning the guitar into a fixed bridge. I'll try to post detailed images for you.

At this stage I'm not sure if it's a modification, or part of the original configuration of the prototype, but I'll see if SV remembers.

Cheers,
MM
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
what is the URL for these new axes? i just see the same old photos inline
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:57 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
thanks
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:35 PM

Thanks - I've been wondering that for quite some time.
I believe I know that trem - I have a very good friend who has a Peavey Vandenberg model, and it features this trem; locks in to fix the bridge in position. Good concept; my friend found that the metal work was a bit flimsy, though, thus allowing a certain amount of movement of his bridge even when locked.

I'd be curious to know what made Steve put that trem in there...
=]
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:05 PM

Does anybody else want that Mirror Universe as badly as I do?

Tags
baritone guitar , custom guitar , custom guitars , dna swirl , edge trem , fixed bridge , guitar collection , ibanez guitars , maple neck , maple necks , monkey grip , peavey vandenberg , production model , rosewood neck , spring cavity , steve vai , string guitars , triple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode