JEMs Universes SGs and sustain - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

JEMs Universes SGs and sustain

Hello, just opening this thread for statistical purposes mostly. Since JEM/RG/UV basically share the same design and woods, I'd like to have your numbers on sustain on various strings and regions on the fretboard.

I have not done any specific measurements about mine (uv70p), but I think it sustains rather good. It would be interesting each of us to fill a matrix like this where we put seconds in their respective boxes, shown by xx's below:

Code:
                 Open  5th   7th  10th  12th  15th  17th  20nd  22th   24th
High E           xx    xx    xx   xx     xx    xx    (and so on)
High B              
G
D
A
Low E
Low B
I'l have mine as soon as possible!

Last edited by panix; 02-04-2015 at 05:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: JEMs Universes SGs and sustain

oopps typo in the title : it should be RG instead of SG.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 AM

too many factors involved: setup, string gauges, amp/rig setup, measurement method. don't think it's feasible unfortunately
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag8 View Post
too many factors involved: setup, string gauges, amp/rig setup, measurement method. don't think it's feasible unfortunately
All you have to do is plug your guitar in your digital tuner, or in your amp, measure the seconds and write down the numbers. Its not that hard, and might give us some insight on construction, woods, trems, etc.

When we talk about sustain, we rarely talk about the normalized big picture but rather for the frets we focus more in our playing. This way I hope will provide lots of useful info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:52 PM

Reviews: 13

In my experience, I found out that the most immediate factor which influences sustain is string height... raise the action and you'll instantly have plenty of sustain, unless you have a defective guitar. Since I'm a fan of low action, my sustain will be much less than any other, even if I have a top-notch guitar. This, among other things, will render your chart non-representative.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
In my experience, I found out that the most immediate factor which influences sustain is string height... raise the action and you'll instantly have plenty of sustain, unless you have a defective guitar. Since I'm a fan of low action, my sustain will be much less than any other, even if I have a top-notch guitar. This, among other things, will render your chart non-representative.
well my experience has been different, unless you have the action that low that most notes are choking against subsequent frets, string height (or pickup height for the matter) do not have much to do with sustain.

Anyway, this is not a thread about how to get more sustain but rather a statistical tool. I think my UV70p can make many Gibsons turn shy red. Maybe this can be used to debunk certain myths floating around.

If you would like we could add some parameters regarding the setup, action height, relief, under the same common methods of measurement.

btw, when you say low action, can you describe this with numbers? preferably using the definitions of parameters from Rich's site : http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm

personally all my axes are lower than ... silly low. From some point on I dont think that raising action helps anywhere. I made a hell lot of tests those last days including any combination of string/pup heights. The verdict is : if the wood wants to resonate a specific note/fret, it will find its way. If not, then no string raising, no pup raising, no exotic metals trem blocks (like titanium) or anything else will make it better.

Tags
sustain jem universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode