JEMs used in non-traditional JEM fashion - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

JEMs used in non-traditional JEM fashion

Are there more bands that use JEMs without a lot of shred or lead playing? I came across this pretty cool Icelandic band and was surprised to see one playing ambient styles. Obviously between pup combos the guitars should be able to play anything, but this just caught me off guard. Does anyone here play a JEM in a more Ambient/Indi/Post Rocky way?

Mammut - Salt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: JEMs used in non-traditional JEM fashion

I've seen a 7VWH used in a funk band, and a local guy here I've seen using one in an AC/DC style dad-rock band.
jono is online  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've seen a 7VWH used in a funk band, and a local guy here I've seen using one in an AC/DC style dad-rock band.
I've just seen a 7VWH at a pop music festival a few hours ago. At first it looked like a normal strat with unfinished headstock until I noticed the monkey grip.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 1

Saw a guy awhile back on ABC morning show from Florida playing a 7VWH in a Jimmy Buffet style band. Was kind of odd.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 PM

Ive played my 7VWH in a variety of inappropriate situations.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:18 PM

My mom once saw a JEM look alike at a pop thing when she was traveling, she sent it to me and was so excited she recognized a JEM until I told her it was fake because of the "bridge, monkey grip shape, pickup placement, pickguard shape, color scheme, and bad inlay"

It probably wasn't even plugged in. That's the thing with pop stuff these days- it's so easy to fake.

Go to a Satriani or Vai or Dream theater concert, people would know In 1 minute wether or not you were really playing.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
My mom once saw a JEM look alike at a pop thing when she was traveling, she sent it to me and was so excited she recognized a JEM until I told her it was fake because of the "bridge, monkey grip shape, pickup placement, pickguard shape, color scheme, and bad inlay"

It probably wasn't even plugged in. That's the thing with pop stuff these days- it's so easy to fake.

Go to a Satriani or Vai or Dream theater concert, people would know In 1 minute wether or not you were really playing.
played in an 80s tribute that used a LOT of pre fab tracks. Some had guitars on them. I always played along and none had leads. It wasnt my call. Played my MKR universe for that band. They always made good money, too.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
played in an 80s tribute that used a LOT of pre fab tracks. Some had guitars on them. I always played along and none had leads. It wasnt my call. Played my MKR universe for that band. They always made good money, too.
Wow

I'd hate that I think

I wonder if a lot of local bands do that, and that's why they sound so good/tight
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
Wow

I'd hate that I think

I wonder if a lot of local bands do that, and that's why they sound so good/tight
in my experience, most dont. but most dont sound very good, either. They help. Especially for background vox and extra keys, percussion and whatnot. A lot of that 80s stuff you need 3 keyboard players to pull off. Forget it. But yea they went a little crazy with the tracks. I felt like I was playing kareoke to someone elses guitar playing. Whatever. Wasnt my band. Didnt really matter. Had fun just the same.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 PM

I use my Jem for everything. Sounds great for funk, jazz and reggae. I'm probably not the one to ask though because I like to shred on a Rick 360.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:08 AM

I don't think I've seen a gem play anything other than rock or jazz. But there must be someone somewhere!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
Ive played my 7VWH in a variety of inappropriate situations.
lol...me too...I could get way more mileage with that comment but I will leave it at that
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:43 PM

I don't remember the name of the band, but when I went to Wacken 2007 one of the guitarists of a death metal band was using a JEM 777VBK. Was pretty cool to see.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:59 PM

now days people use and play the Jem when they can afford it because they all need work in some form or another and I doubt Vai's tech doesn't have a list of things to do with them before they ever touch his hands. To be completely honest I have an old PGM that I crammed a Fernandez blues neck into and it plays better as a Frankenstein than any high end I have ever purchased, I already know the Jem String thru i have commissioned to build will be with my guitar Tech months before i even look at it so you all do the math.. Jem's are if you have the money not the playability anymore
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 PM

I've used one for market entertainment on the New Zealand South Island doing "acoustic" folk, blues, country and rock styles. I used a Vox VT20+.

Versatile, great sound in everything I pointed the combination at. And it's just great fun to play a great guitar.

Tags
ambient , mammut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode