JEM's and UV's now in the molded case ;/// - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

JEM's and UV's now in the molded case ;///

This sucks. All JEM and UV'v will now come standard in the new version of the Chinese made M100 molded "Prestige - J Craft" case that are the "free/included" case with every Prestige guitar. You can't even option out of it for an upcharge, because the molded is included "free" from the factory. To get the UV1000, you have to buy a UV1000 seperate altogether.

Will this lead to the demise of the UV1000? Probably. Although it's not slated on the "discontinued" list right now, how long can it survive if they're going to give you a "free" case with the guitar.

[*Free* - right, the price increases alone are well over the full list price of an M100 to begin with, so as usual, nothing in life is "free"]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM

Re: JEM's and UV's now in the molded case ;///

It sure does .

Regards

André

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM

Here in São Paulo you never get original UV or JEM cases that comes with guitars.
Even if you're buying something brand new from the official IBZ distributor, you get it without any case.
When you ask seller about original case, nothing!
There areN't brand new cases here!
So, walking on the stores, u can find used ones, totally overpriced...
IMHO, these "FREE" Prestige cases will be on São Paulo streets here with some price tag...
Brazilian Ibanez distributor suX!
Shame...
Tubarão.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

this is a good cost cutting move. you still get a free generic case and remember that none of these are ATA approved anyways. ...glen
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Cost cutting for Ibz obviously, not the consumer
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 06:31 PM

I set up a pair of Bad Horsie's today & I'm impressed with the case. It's very snug fitting with a nice Burgundy lining. The latches are heavy duty, better than the "Chinese Made" SKB cases.I always felt that a $1,800.00 Jem being shipped in cardboard boxes was a joke. Now they ship with a case & you're dissapointed? Oh, the Bad Horsey has a plexi mirror laminated to the top with binding that looks just like the Universe, if you breathe on this guitar it will scratch.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

First, I've never ordered a guitar that wasn't cased, and the distributors won't stand behind any guitar ordered uncased in case of shipping damage anyway.

And second, any molded case is far inferior to the UV1000, and now there's no option to swap into one without flat out buying one.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 08:23 PM

I may be the only bastard child here,, but I like the molded cases. I could never see what all the rage was with the UV1000 case? Locks busting, velvet peeling, staples falling out, I don't think I've had a UV1000 case that didn't have something wrong with it. But hey as long as it keeps the guitar in one peice and out of the weather I'm happy. Maybe I'm just bitter cuz I have a UV1000 case right now with a busted all to $h#! lock on it.

~A
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 08:56 PM
UV

Talking Re: JEM's and UV's now in the molded case ;///

What do the molded cases look like? Are they like the Fender molded cases? Molded cases keep the guitar just as safe for the most part and are easier to clean. If these aren't total trash, I think it's a good move. If you need an ATA case buy a Calzone.

U
v
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Talking Re: JEM's and UV's now in the molded case ;///

whata drag, the molded cases don't even compare to the construction & longevity of the UV1000. Molded look cheap, are cheap and the plastic tears at the hinges over a little time, they warp from a little heat, how protective is that? Then they are complete junk, i can't count how many times over the years ive seen people using bungie cords to hold them together, the UV1000 is much more stable, and if it does get a problem, it is fixable.

Not many of us can purchase or justify ATA aproved cases, the UV1000 has been a sold reliable and very cool case for a good price.

What in the? $3100 for a dbk Jem with a Mirror top and a cheap molded case? yickess, Seems Steve & Ibanez completely lost touch with making the Jem reachable for the average player, ok im off the subject, better stop, good things don't last very long, they get higher priced and cheaper made with less to offer.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:25 AM

what ever happened to our right to not get ****ed over
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:29 AM

Oh, no, i get a case with my universe when it comes. I'm so upset : (
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 04:01 AM

Count yourselves lucky you get anything at all. Here in japan my 7VWH came in the cheapest ibanez case they do. When it was delivered to the shop it went in a cardboard box and that is how i received it, the guitar was sat on top of the case. I was hoping for a UV1000, or a hard case at the very least.
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:33 PM
rgr

I guess I'm missing something here, JEMs and UVs have never included a case, so, how is getting one in a case a downgrade? You still have the option to buy a better case if you want. I guess I'm different, but a good SKB type plastic case is better than a tolex covered case if you are gigging alot. They hold up better when they get thrown in the backs of cars, vans, or trucks and get beat around by cabinets, racks, etc... I'm not abusive on my guitars, but when I was gigging more (back in the old days...), and farther away, guitars got thrown in a U-Haul trailer with everything else and took a 3 - 4 hour ride.

I'm with the Dr too, the thoughts of a $3K list guitar shipping in a cardboard box is disturbing.

<$0.02,
Roger
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
I guess I'm missing something here, JEMs and UVs have never included a case, so, how is getting one in a case a downgrade?
Because they took the Gibson route and incorporated the case in the $ w/o option. Gibson though supplies a higher quality case.

Granted any case is better than no case however if I read Rich's '05 NAMM report correctly they increased the $ to a premium case.

Last edited by jager; 02-12-2005 at 12:56 PM.

Tags
custom shop , dbk jem , floyd rose , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , locking stud , locking studs , music store , prestige guitar , pro edge , truss cover , usa custom shop , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode