Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that?

Yngwie Malmsteen has a very nice neck pick up sound. And I can't exactly test the Jem I'm saving up for right now since Rich probably has it right now. But back to the topic. Yngwie having that awsomely cool tone from his neck pickup. I know he uses Dimarzio HS-3 or the YJM in the neck posistion. But I also know that Jem's have humbuckers in the bridge and neck. So my question is....can the Evolution pickups get that sound? and if not...what humbucker can closely resemble that sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 05:02 AM

Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen

I imagine part of Yngwie's neck pickup tone is because he's playing a 22 fret guitar, so the pickup is mounted under the strings' harmonic node - where the 2nd octave is on a 24 fret guitar, like a Jem. This is a big deal among some people - including Joe Satriani - and the only justification for a 22 fret neck that I can think of. That being said, I'm sure you can come pretty close to Yngwie's tone with careful EQ tweaking, but a Jem will never be a 22 fret guitar, no matter what pickup you throw in it. Me? I'd work on the licks, and let the tone sort itself out over time...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 10:09 AM

I think the single coil is pretty important as well. *A Strat playing in the neck position is a super classic sound. *Also his amp settings are a huge part of it, tons of shriek-ass treble. *I haven't heard anything close to that come from a humbucker on my 24 fret guitars, maybe I should try on my JS. *I think the PAF pro is too smooth sounding though.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 06:12 PM

Borislav Mitic used a JEM (fp i think, not sure) on his "Fantasy" album/demo. * *the recording on it sucks, but his tone gets pretty yngwie-like, although it doesn't seem QUITE as fat... * *

interestingly enough, he's switched to playing fender yngwie strats (from a jem??? he must be crazy!!).
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 06:38 PM

If you can turn the Jem neck into a single coil with a coil tap, and use the right amp, you could get kinda close. *A Fender Strat neck sound is simply unobtainable with other kinds of guitars though. *But you are sacrificing other things if that is your main axe.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 07:19 PM

didn't i read in another thread around here recently that one of those roland synths allow you to synthesize pickup position all the way up to the 12th fret?? *you wouldn't have to have a 21/22 fret neck then! :biggrin:
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

that is correct....but you have to have the amp. And personally I didn't like it....there's a point where a guitar amp get's too "fake"
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Jems and Yngwie Malmsteen - can Jems do that?

I currently own both guitars in question and they are light-years apart.(IMHO)
A Strat will always have inherent sounds that are different than a Jem or Universe, regardless of the pickups/configuration.

Both great guitars. Both different.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:29 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
So my question is....can the Evolution pickups get that sound? and if not...what humbucker can closely resemble that sound?
Not really and a Humbucker From Hell will get you close.

ilia
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Reviews: 1

BTW...Yng Strat has 21 frets.:^)
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:49 AM
RCB

You can get a custom Pickguard for the jem with a HSS configuration, and put the same middle and neck pups tha Yngwie uses. That should get you pretty colse to his sound.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic
BTW...Yng Strat has 21 frets.:^)
The pups on a 22fret and on a 21fret stay on the same position...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:28 PM

I'll second the Humbucker from Hell suggestion. This is close to what it claims to do, check out the sound bites on dimarzio.com and see what you think.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 PM

So why is not having the pickup under the string harmonic mode a problem? Explain please?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
So why is not having the pickup under the string harmonic mode a problem? Explain please?
Especially given that the harmonic mode, if I'm guessing right, changes depending on where a note is fretted.

Tags
amp settings , coil tap , custom pickguard , evolution pickups , fender strat , fret guitar , fret guitars , fret neck , jem neck , joe satriani , neck pickup , neck pickup tone , neck position , neck pup , paf pro , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode