JEMSTORY- WHAT'S YOUR STORY? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 AM

Re: JEMSTORY- WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

I liked them since they 1st came out but I had no idea they were a production model til 3 years ago. I loved the FP's, but thought it was just a custom job for VAI. I didn't hang out in guitar stores so I had no clue. Many years later I was watching the Live at the Astoria DVD and thought Vai's VWH was so beautiful (white and gold go together very well and looks very classy) and that would be great to have. I still had no clue they were available to the public til I was browsing the online guitar stores and found them. I bought one and and 3 years later I have a VWH, BRMR, and finally got my FP too. Got a UVBK and a EP7 as well. I wish I knew they were a production model back when the swirls were out, I'd love one or more of those. It's too bad the models of late have been kinda bland and the new black one isn't very exciting to me. Oh well. Jem's rule !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:07 AM

my next door neighbour got an FP in about 1989/90 (and later traded it for a Strat the fool). I couldn't afford one for years and played an N2, which is a great little guitar. In about 2000/2001 I managed to get a 555, which I was really happy with, when last year I got lucky and bought a UVMC 2nd hand from a bloke at work for a very nice price. Then later last year, my wife spotted a BSB on the bay...she know's I've always wanted one (they had one on the wall of the shop when I got my 555, but at almost 2 grand...no way!) so we did the finances and I got that. That's about it. I've always liked Steve Vai, but the main reason I like these guitars is really down to their versatility and the sound of the evo's, and I still think the handle is really cool
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I think I walked into a guitar shop and there they were... the LNG, DY and SK 777's, plus original RG550's in DY and RFR, and an assortment of other models such as S series, Power, the whole lot. I was knocked out.
That would've knocked me out too...last year was the first time I'd ever seen an original neon 777 design in person! I guess it did knock me out as I flipping bought the thing within a couple of days.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Banned

Fall 1988...Tried to order a Lochness, they were out, ordered a Shocking Pink from looking at the 88 Ibanez catalog. Traded in my G&L for a down payment of $400, got the SK on a rent to own program, the kind where you pay $20 a week, pay list price plus interest, it ends up being $3k by the time your done.

The SK arrived two weeks later, got to open it fresh from Hoshino, now that was exciting! Called them to say thanks, they hooked me up with the bridge cover & Lochness brochure.

Since 88...JEM & UV's are still the ultimate vessel to release mind, heart, soul & spirit through music...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 AM

Reviews: 1

When PAW came out I was overwhelmed by the music. I had already been in a circuit-cover band in the tri-state area for a few years playing mostly hot-rodded Fenders through Marshalls. In that band we were playing about 300 nights a year so I was in a cocoon regarding the music scene because I was wrapped up in gigs/ booze/other/babes-type lifestyle.

DLR came out with the new band and that was all anyone talked about - the new guy with tentacles instead of fingers and his cool guitars.

Whitesnake were pussies at that time to real players and nobody took them seriously, so Steve was unknown by alot of us prior to DLR.

I walked into a store one day and was visually assaulted by a DY.
End of story. I was hooked- and that DY was my first JEM.
I've never looked back...............

-jemaholic
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 AM

I was 9 years old when I first played a Jem, it belonged to a friend of my guitar tutor. It was an '88 JEM77FP and was well beaten, but it played & sounded amazing- that was me hooked...

My first Jem was a BSB, then came along the UV777PBK, VSBL, FP, VWH & DY.

I still own the BSB, VSBL & UV777PBK....The FP, VWH, DY have all been sold/traded...

When I have enough room, I'll no doubt buy one of each production Jem & Universe
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 AM

There's common theme, here lots of 30 somethings that got hooked on VH & DLR - me too!!

I played some piece of rubbish when I was a teenager in the mid-80's and couldn't afford a decent guitar. Then unforetnately stopped playing during my 20's. and then got back into guitar in my 30's after buying a mex Strat, following by an RG370 and discovering a cool place called Jemsite

The RG got me playing more and justified to myself getting a Jem, with some gentle persuastion from you lot - I bought a DBK within 6 months of buying the RG and it was great.

The story takes a twist as I fell in love with John Suhr guitars and sold my DBK to fund my Suhr. I'm saving up for by next guitar (I won't trade my Suhr) - I'll get another Suhr or maybe a VSBL, or maybe hold out for a PMC
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM

Well.........
Ive never owned an actual Jem. I started on the RG series when they first hit the market. Prior to that, I played an Ibanez Iceman, and an Artist. I had a few frankenstien strat style guitars that I would swap parts on and what not. Like everyone else, I was into Vai, Van Halen, Steve Stevens.........I played in a cover band that was gigging steadily, very little money though, gas for the van mostly. I had part time jobs that just afforded rent for a place to live, and strings...........thats about it. My local guitar store in Olympia Washington............Music 6000, had some really cool guys working there. I had seen the new line of Ibanez guitars coming out, but there was no way I could afford the Jem. But they hooked me up with an RG. It became the only guitar I would play for years............untill the 7 Universes hit the market. That particular RG even became my back up for my 7 string for a few years untill I could afford another one. I just tuned it to low B..........no high E.
Just to add a quick note to a long story here........that Ibanez took one hell of a beating. Everything from the dropping it from a broken strap lock, to some chic dumping beer all over it, to surviving my apartment burning down. And the worst............I actually threw it at a girlfriend once. Not to hit her...........but to make a strong "visual" point. An argument about how my guitar & band had my love & attention more then her..............a few insults, and "FLING!" It took a header down a flight of stairs........split the fretboard away from the neck about half way down. I gazed in horror at what I had done...........seeing it lay there in its own pool of blood. I had it repaired.............and our relationship lasted several more years...........untill I purchased another 7 string. I never saw my girlfriend again...
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Reviews: 6

I got my Jem as a graduation present from high school. I completely freaked! It was the nicest thing my parents ever did for me.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 AM

I had a '91 RG550, loved it. Liked Jems but didn't know much about them until Jemsite (I knew it was a Vai guitar). I sold my RG in '03 and bought my first Jem, an '02 VSBL. Now I have 4 looking for my 5th.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM

I got into Vai through a friend when I started honing in on chops in sophomore year of high school. He was like a technique instructor for me, and every couple of weeks he would keep me on the right path. I listened to the Vai cd's he gave me for a few months, but never bothered to wonder what kind of guitar he was using.

A year later, the same friend who owned a '87 777DY got tired of it as it didn't suit his style too much. He was the second owner and the first one had done quite a bit of heavy playing on it (it's definetally in player condition), so my friend let it go to me for 300 bucks. Best damn deal I ever got.

Tags
alexi laiho , charvel model , electric guitar , guitar shop , ibanez acoustic , ibanez catalog , ibanez guitars , ibanez guitars coming , ibanez jem , jason becker , jem bsb , john suhr , john suhr guitars , local guitar center , maple neck , maple necks , music store , paf pro , paul gilbert , playing guitar , production model , sam ash , steve stevens , steve vai , strap lock , strat style , strat style guitar , suhr guitars , van halen , warped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

where to buy mark tremonti the sound and the story

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode