Joe recording / back to Marshall? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Joe recording / back to Marshall?

Guys did you noticed the blue Marshall 6100 30th Anniversary on the Studio Webisodes podcast video #1?

He use to use them before he designed the JSX.

And in my opinion Joe's sound from that area was much better than recent.

So it seems that he ditched the JSX completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Re: Joe recording / back to Marshall?

The tones on the new album are great. Joe told me he used Marshalls on 80% of the album, mostly two JVMs. There's also Wizard and Two Rock on there, plus Guitar Rig and the SansAMP plugin. My interview will be on my site on October 8.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 01:22 PM

Reviews: 4

TBH i really love his tones with the marshalls, this sounds alot like the "good 'ol joe" although i really love his tone on "if i could fly" what was he using there??? my favorite satch tone was in the 90s, like FIABD and the extremist, and the song Moroccan sunset and echo. if anybody knows his rig in all of those lol those are what i think of when i hear of satriani!!!
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Not of this earth has the best tone imo
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Reviews: 4

"Time Machine" is the best tone IMHO...seems like everyone likes something different...How novel...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM

Just got my copy of the new Satriani CD yesterday. In his "Joe uses" statement in the liner notes it says Marshall. Peavey not mentioend.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 PM

So what's happening with that relationship, Peavey can't be happy about this I would imagine.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:54 AM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Joe recording / back to Marshall?

Old news! Satch ditched Peavey early this year. He tried the JVM's and felt the urge to go back to Marshall and TBH he did the right thing. In fact after owning a JSX half stack and a JSX combo myself, I felt that I was not getting the sound I really wanted out of them, so I ended up going back to old Marshalls and I can't be happier and wonder why I ever tried anything else...???
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Honestly, his new album has the best tone ever IMO.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 1

its the new album out?
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Release date is 10/5. I preordered, and mine arrived last Friday.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Seeing as how so much of his sound comes from a distortion box (at least anecdotally), I'd love to see what it is he likes about Marshalls. Even with a pedal, an amp can contribute quite a bit of character but that's going to diminish the more gain you use on that pedal. FWIW, I recall Joe's modded DS-1 settings had the drive pretty low.

Point being that when I think "Marshall", I'm not thinking about cleans and in no way am I thinking about it w/pedals. You usually play a Marshall for the Marshall drive itself, not as a platform for dirt pedals.

Really, I could ask this same thing about Vai and Carvin since he's practically in the same boat.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM

This is what caught my eye on the website!

Last edited by spam3d; 12-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Here is the quote from the interview with Joe:

Did you use the Saturator or the Ice Nine pedals at all?

I believe the Saturator was used for the solo in “Light Years Away.” That would have been through an old [Marshall] 6100 amp and then probably through my old Millennia FTP 1 which functions just like a light compressor and a DI, and went straight into Pro Tools. That was done at home. I don’t think I used the Saturator on anything else. Everything else was just basically the Marshall JVM amp for 90 percent of the work, and some Wizard amps for a couple of songs. I have a specially-made custom reverb by Two-Rock they made for me early in the year that sounds really nice.

And you can read it here: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...le.aspx?Page=1
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenis View Post
Here is the quote from the interview with Joe:

Did you use the Saturator or the Ice Nine pedals at all?

I believe the Saturator was used for the solo in “Light Years Away.” That would have been through an old [Marshall] 6100 amp and then probably through my old Millennia FTP 1 which functions just like a light compressor and a DI, and went straight into Pro Tools. That was done at home. I don’t think I used the Saturator on anything else. Everything else was just basically the Marshall JVM amp for 90 percent of the work, and some Wizard amps for a couple of songs. I have a specially-made custom reverb by Two-Rock they made for me early in the year that sounds really nice.

And you can read it here: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...le.aspx?Page=1
Thank you for the link. It seems the anectdotes are no longer true if they really ever were.

Tags
marshall , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode