Joe Satriani and push/pulls... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Joe Satriani and push/pulls...

(mods - plz delete if already posted - couldn't find it)

i always wondered: does Joe ever use push/pulls on his JSs? i've seen many Satch's live DVDs and likes, but i really can't find a moment where he's using them. never. both the knobs are always pushed down, but probably it's just me?

i'm wondering this as all the JSs (except the 900, IIRC) have push/pull knobs while he "seems" not using them. though, in the Satriani LIVE! DVD we can see Mike Manning doing a soldering job on Joe's 1200CA and there's a push/pull knobs in there, i'm pretty sure.

just out of curiosity... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 AM

Reviews: 18
Re: Joe Satriani and push/pulls...

Nuno, I've seen Joe used them live, he's just very sneaky and quick when he does it. Also, on the live dvd, you can see him using them on cool#9.

Jimmy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Also, on the live dvd, you can see him using them on cool#9.
aw, i'll be paying a little more attention on that! thanks Jimmy
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM

I think he uses it in studio more, there's a few solos of his that sound very single coil-y. I'm thinking its probably the push pull thing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM

I used them last night !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

I had Push-push on a guitar. Unsure which I like best, push pushing, or push pulling. I use my push pull's ALL the time on my JS. It's what makes it a great guitar. Every guitar should have a high pass. I just had a p/p installed on another single knob guitar. It reverse phases the Bartolini (effectt is single coile tone) and had high pass installed that's always on.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I had Push-push on a guitar. Unsure which I like best, push pushing, or push pulling. I use my push pull's ALL the time on my JS. It's what makes it a great guitar. Every guitar should have a high pass. I just had a p/p installed on another single knob guitar. It reverse phases the Bartolini (effectt is single coile tone) and had high pass installed that's always on.
For what it's worth, I think push push is a little better because it's easier to sneak in a pinky tap than using two fingers to pull up. In my experience this is especially true for knobs farther from the bridge, like a strat's second tone knob, and exceedingly so when you're already gripping the whammy bar and a pick.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Joe talks about using the Push/pulls on "Asik Veysel" off of his new album in an interview with Guitar World.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode