Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Are Joe Satriani's guitars stock?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  pingfloid 
#1 ·
I'm curious if Satriani's JS1000 stage guitars are stock or if he's had some mods done like Tremolo Block, Caps, Pots, Springs, etc.?

You read about other artists who have signature guitars and there's always a rumor that their personal guitar is nothing like the production model.

Joe's ?

#3 ·
Joe's guitars always had edge tremolos even when the JS line had lo-pro and then edge pro. Also he would try out new pickups in stage guitars, so for instance the mo'joe paf joe combo was in his stage guitars for quite a while but never made it to a production model. Also he has foam put around the pickups to cut down on extraneous noise. However the short answer to the question is they are pretty much what he plays in those eras even, but now they are the same as far as I'm aware of.

#5 ·
I have a couple JS's done by Gary Brawer to Joe's specs.

Gary usually writes on my setup notes as "Joe Setup" or "Joe Special" : )

JS's Gary has done have been plek'd (Chromeboy and Custom Triple Single) but from what I was told first hand, Joe's setup would be unplayable for most; his setup is super low and a super flat fretboard.

In recent years, he's dropped his tuning down and stepped up in string gauge as well - which will all have an effect on the setup.

For nostalgia and as a fan, I'm happy I got my CB setup the way I did, but it isn't setup optimally for me : /

My custom Triple Single is more in my setup wheelhouse.

Hope that helps.

-sc-

#6 ·
I don't think Joe Satriani could play with the brand new JS2410 that I bought. The pickups were extremely microphonic. They squealed like a demon in the nearby of any speaker, PC speaker, Studio Monitor, PA or Guitar Cab. Even at low volume.

I asked for advice and I was recommended to wax-pot the pickups. But I didn't want to perform that candle ritual on a new guitar, so swapped it for a Schecter Nick Johnston USA. And I do not regret the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.