Are Joe Satriani's guitars stock? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By scarello

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Are Joe Satriani's guitars stock?

I'm curious if Satriani's JS1000 stage guitars are stock or if he's had some mods done like Tremolo Block, Caps, Pots, Springs, etc.?

You read about other artists who have signature guitars and there's always a rumor that their personal guitar is nothing like the production model.

Joe's ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 PM

I think theyre stock now a days. Back when Ibanez had the Edge pro trem on the production guitars, I know rhat Joe had his fitted with the older Lo-pro edge trem, because he preferred that. But that trem has become standard on JS models now.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 07:30 PM

Re: Are Joe Satriani's guitars stock?

Joe's guitars always had edge tremolos even when the JS line had lo-pro and then edge pro. Also he would try out new pickups in stage guitars, so for instance the mo'joe paf joe combo was in his stage guitars for quite a while but never made it to a production model. Also he has foam put around the pickups to cut down on extraneous noise. However the short answer to the question is they are pretty much what he plays in those eras even, but now they are the same as far as I'm aware of.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2020, 10:15 AM

IMO, the biggest mod that would make a difference to a player must surely be in the setup. A plek'd JS done exactly as Joe's guitars are, would be a revelation.

Anyone had this done yet?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper Kowalski View Post
IMO, the biggest mod that would make a difference to a player must surely be in the setup. A plek'd JS done exactly as Joe's guitars are, would be a revelation.

Anyone had this done yet?
I have a couple JS's done by Gary Brawer to Joe's specs.

Gary usually writes on my setup notes as "Joe Setup" or "Joe Special" : )

JS's Gary has done have been plek'd (Chromeboy and Custom Triple Single) but from what I was told first hand, Joe's setup would be unplayable for most; his setup is super low and a super flat fretboard.

In recent years, he's dropped his tuning down and stepped up in string gauge as well - which will all have an effect on the setup.

For nostalgia and as a fan, I'm happy I got my CB setup the way I did, but it isn't setup optimally for me : /

My custom Triple Single is more in my setup wheelhouse.

Hope that helps.

-sc-
Edwood likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 12:02 AM

I don't think Joe Satriani could play with the brand new JS2410 that I bought. The pickups were extremely microphonic. They squealed like a demon in the nearby of any speaker, PC speaker, Studio Monitor, PA or Guitar Cab. Even at low volume.

I asked for advice and I was recommended to wax-pot the pickups. But I didn't want to perform that candle ritual on a new guitar, so swapped it for a Schecter Nick Johnston USA. And I do not regret the change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode