Joe's best tone album? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Joe's best tone album?

I would have to say his tone on Flying In a Blue Dream is really classic. That was when I started thinking about getting Ibanez guitars. The natural finish mahogany guitars with either HBs or soapbars sounded great on later albums also.

What would you guys say is his best tone album? Also, I don't have anything past Time Machine, how are his more recent albums?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:14 PM

i truely LOVE his sound on crystal planet, tbh... the extremist didn't sound anywhere as good as cp to me, i gotta say
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 01:39 PM

The Best Rock Tone is Still SWTA but the best Allaround Tone is on SBM! My 2€
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:08 PM

Surfing and Flying is the tone i like the best. I like the glassy tone that he seems to have on those albums. His soloing tone on "echo" almost has a sax tone, and feel to it, i love it!

I sure would love to know how he got that glassy tone.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 04:12 PM

"The Crush of Love" has tone to die for KILLER!

SWTA or CP are my favs...though his self titled isn't far behind
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saTa
i truely LOVE his sound on crystal planet, tbh... the extremist didn't sound anywhere as good as cp to me, i gotta say
ah yeah, me thinks the same! the sounds he had in CP were all killer and pretty diverse.
btw, good use of the word "sound" instead of "tone"
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 05:30 PM

I Believe got still an interresting Sound
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:08 PM

The tone on Midnight still amazes me.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:09 PM

I second (third) the vote for his tone on Flying. That juicy Tube Screamer-based shimmer comes through really nicely in the rhythm to Mystical Potato Head, and all the heavy and soft parts of The Forgotten Pt. II.

Been awhile since I've listened to Flying, time to crank it.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 07:11 PM

Can't forget the lead tone of Always.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 AM

i think the very early stuffs tone is horid and veryyyy much to proccessed, but the tracks themselves are great and when he plays the stuff from SWTA live now it just sounds awsome,

i think the tone got great from the extremist onwards. the best in my opinion is SBM helped by the use of cornfords in the studio (my god the tone). and i LOVE the tone in the self titled album, wonderfull smooth blues on tracks like home.

as i have said MANY a time im a huge satch fan but the tone in the early stuff is just so processed and does my head in lol.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disassociative1
as i have said MANY a time im a huge satch fan but the tone in the early stuff is just so processed and does my head in lol.
Yeah, that mixed with those awesome drum sounds really does it.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 AM

I think my favorite satch tone, at least at this point in time, is the one he gets on The Call (the solo, from the flying album).

Man, that tone is just SICK.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 PM

I can't stand his earlier tones either, with very few exceptions. His live tone backk then was GREAT, judging from the bootlegs I've heeard, but studio... *shudder* Stuff like "Satch Boogie" and "Circles" isn't AS bad- sounds a little more "live" but the gutiar sounds and overal production values on Surfing are pretty tough on my ears...

"Forgotten II" off FIABD kills, too... geat sounds there, but I'm not so big on the rest of the album's sound.

I actually like his "Extremist" tone, for a while, that was my favorite sounding disc of his. however, "Crystal Planet" is probably my overall favorite- his tone is really varied, but almost without exception excellent throughout, and he gets some honest-t-god good clean sounds on that disc, which is sorta a first for him (I HATE his clean tone)

That said, his lead sound on "All Alone" is one of the best tones I've evber heard. There's just a touch of chewy uni-vibe-ness that i could do without, but that basic guitar tone is unreal. Any thoughts on where it's coming from?

Actually, there's some great guitar sounds all over the studio part of that disc. Sounds like nothing else he's ever done, and VERY "prototypically marshall," but good.

-D
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 01:25 PM

As far as albums as a whole, SWTA and Crystal are my choices. I love how the tone changes in the middle of the solo in "Ice Nine" and "Crushing Day" is just a great rock song all together as far as tone and some of the phrasing Satch does in it. I agree completley with His Royal Darkness up above on the tone in "The Crush of Love".

I bought a bootleg from a Satch concert that took place in the early '90's and "Crush of Love" is on it. Its a dynamic extended version that really shines in tone and there is a wicked part that gets into some harmonic minor modes that takes the song far from its studio version.

Tags
clean tone , crystal planet , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , joe satriani , kramer pacer , mahogany guitars , neck pickup , paul gilbert , paul gilberts , peavey amp , satch boogie , satch tone , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode