John Petrucci's UV7BK on "Lie" - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

John Petrucci's UV7BK on "Lie"

Has anyone else heard this song by dream theater? Just a quick question to ask what pickups and amp John Petrucci uses in this song.
In the video the pickups have green covers and his guitar has a green ibanez logo on the headstock (i think).
Are they tone zone7's or some other custom pup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure about the pickups, but I always assumed they were the stock pickups (Blaze neck, Blaze Bridge). At the time that album came out, Blazes were pretty much the only 7-string pickup available from Dimarzio.

--B
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
I'm not sure about the pickups, but I always assumed they were the stock pickups (Blaze neck, Blaze Bridge). At the time that album came out, Blazes were pretty much the only 7-string pickup available from Dimarzio.

--B
Hmm...Looks like stock to me...This would be my dream guitar other than my UV777BK I have now...I'd bet this guitar will play better.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:35 PM

Reviews: 1
i agree with the stock thing. His sound in the lower end is not very crisp or well defined....2 blaze traits.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
i agree with the stock thing. His sound in the lower end is not very crisp or well defined....2 blaze traits.
Hmm...I dun seem to have that problem with my UV777BK.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
Hmm...I dun seem to have that problem with my UV777BK.
Play them side-by-side and you'll hear an extraordinary difference.

I thought the Blazes sounded great until I threw an Air Norton and a Tone Zone in. Quite a difference.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:26 PM

The "lie" video is what made me want to get the UV7BK. I have a pic of it in my guitar books too, but it just looked so cool in that video. I thought for a while about getting a swirl when i could find a good one, but everyone of my friends thought it was ugly, flambouyant, and just plain out of style and ***.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:57 PM

I believe he was using mostly Mark IIC+'s and Rectifiers, layered, to record his rhythm tones on that disc- there's an interview with him after the "Awake" sessions on either the Mesa or dimarzio site- dig around their artst sections. I'd do it myself, but i'm too sick to be bothered. goddamn head colds...

Great disc, great tones.

-D
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satch Boogie
The "lie" video is what made me want to get the UV7BK.
Funny... it was that album (Awake) that made me want to buy a 7-string in general. I wanted to get one of the 7620's when they first came out, but they were in relatively short supply at the time (and priced a little high), so I saved up an got a UV777 instead. It was a couple years before I saw the video with Petrucci playing the UV7BK, but the UV777 has served me well!

--B
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 08:25 PM

I'm not too fired up about the sound of stock PUs in any UV. Petrucci always had a killer rig and that has to count for something I guess. I have two UVs in my collection and, though I love them to death, my 2027 actually sounds better to my ears. As I understand it, The 2027 has pickups made by Ibanez in it.

I'd like to see that video. I haven't seen any Dream Theater stuff besides Scenes From NY.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob oakman
I'd like to see that video. I haven't seen any Dream Theater stuff besides Scenes From NY.
Here
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Cool. Thanks Pawel!

Petrucci ia bad-a$$!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 11:53 AM

Reviews: 1
Well, in 1994 the blaze bridge was in the uv7, and sounds like steve's special does, which didn't enter the market before 1995, and is also what john used in his Ibanez line, so it pretty much explains it all.

Tony
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2003, 10:29 AM

Yep, that album and also that video made me want the UV even more. I knew there had to be someone besides Korn using the UV in the mid '90s!!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 04:41 AM

Blaze pups in the 7 string universe is what Petrucci loves. I think (though I hold no proof) that the steve special (primarly bridge pup used by Petrucci) is based of the blaze bridge pup. I love steve special so i did some research. Before Petrucci used SS for the bridge he relied on the tone zone. He changed right around the time he started playing the universe. He used a 7 string almost exclusevely till the SS came out.

but I could be completely wrong!

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , blaze neck , bob oakman , bridge pup , john petrucci , mark iic , satch boogie , string pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode