JS1 vs JS1000 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

JS1 vs JS1000

Deferring to the experts, hoped someone could explain the differences between the JS1 and the JS1000 models...

As I understand the the JS1 have the edge tremelo and the JS1000(2003-2009) have the Edge Pro Tremelo.

beyond that, what are the differences? Is one better than the other? I read that the "golden years" of ibanez manufacturing were the 90's so would the JS1 be the better made model?

I've waited a while for one so I would appreciate the "experts" opinions and thoughts...

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Last edited by fastforded; 02-14-2014 at 03:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 AM
Vendor

Re: JS1 vs JS1000

I'm one that just loves my 1BK's, and IMO they have more mojo than anything made after. But technically, new ones have nuts with much better radius match and nicer neck finishing, along with the Edge. With JS1's you have to watch for bubinga stripes that have come unglued on one side, and they're old guitars so most of them will have plenty of old guitar problems.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm one that just loves my 1BK's, and IMO they have more mojo than anything made after. But technically, new ones have nuts with much better radius match and nicer neck finishing, along with the Edge. With JS1's you have to watch for bubinga stripes that have come unglued on one side, and they're old guitars so most of them will have plenty of old guitar problems.
Thanks. Wondered if that's your site? (ibanezrules?) I was looking at that site... Wow nice site!and thats an understatement. You have some Amazing guitars on there OMFG!!!!! Wow talk about having all the cookies.. My problem would be I wouldn't be able to sell them, I would miss them as each one is unique and individual and a work of art. Great site, learned a few things...

I read the used guitar primer. Nice,very nice.

Few questions about your post above...

And nuts=necks?(typo?)

What's typical old guitar problems?
And is that part of the character or just from use (typically???)

Seems like today the newer something is the cheaper it is and the old stuff WAY better anyway....

I am not really that understanding of how a properly setup guitar should be... Sad to say I probably wouldn't know a properly set up guitar from not properly set up one other than one would make me sound better...

i have wanted one (JS series)since they first came out and all i could afford back then was an s series and I have been waiting and waiting for years... Finally that time for a new guitar so time has come...

These "old problems" can be fixed?

Don't think I really like the edge pro...

And if I get the js1 then it's kinda like I got the one I couldn't get back then...

And back then really wanted the chrome boy but then, as now, a lot of $$$$$ and I wouldn't play it... It's too beautiful like that. (and now I read that those chrome boys are not really wood but plastic and easily damaged....)

Thanks again Rich. That site rules!!!!!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Vendor

All I ever wanted was a JS1BK, look how that ended up.

Old guitars have lots of wear and wood that has settled into whatever shape it wanted to. Some will be perfect. Some unplayable. Most will be someplace in between.

I could put a JS1 and a 1000 next to each other and show you how much better the newer ones are.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
All I ever wanted was a JS1BK, look how that ended up.
I would think that ended VERY WELL for you!!!! Amazing guitars you have. Hoping I will see one I can buy from you...I would have a hard time selling any of them, that would be my only problem....Very excellent information on your website, really amazed at your knowledge and thankful you shared the tips and information you learned on your site. Been reading through all your pages. EXTENSIVE to say the least. I recommend anyone facing the choice of which JS to start with your site.

Quote:
Old guitars have lots of wear and wood that has settled into whatever shape it wanted to. Some will be perfect. Some unplayable. Most will be someplace in between.
Yes, makes sense. Was it stored properly? Used daily? Taken care of? I imagine all these would effect the condition of the guitar. Doesnt this age give the guitars a "vintage" sound? Makes me think about a comparision to fine wine. Usually gets better with age, IF PROPERLY STORED AND TAKEN CARE OF....???

Quote:
I could put a JS1 and a 1000 next to each other and show you how much better the newer ones are.
Interesting... I have been trying to do just that... One big thing for me is the tremolo. I heard that the Edge on the JS1 was much better, and superior, to the Edge Pro on the JS1000?

Thanks for the answers Rich!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

So, the edge vs the edge pro... heard the original is better and stays in tune better and ibanez needed to change due to copyright issues...

Last edited by fastforded; 05-25-2014 at 08:28 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Vendor

The EP died in 2009. All current guitars have the Edge.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Smile Re: JS1 vs JS1000

Quote:
The EP died in 2009. All current guitars have the Edge.
YES! Love that OE!

Tags
ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode