JS100 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

JS100

Is the JS100 worth the money? I mean yeah...its a JS...But If I were to replace the pickups with PAF pro in the neck and FRED in the bridge, Then how would it compair to a JS1000? Or any of the JS100's more expensive big brothers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 01:54 AM

the JS1000 is a better instrument in every way, better neck, better frets, better bridge, better pickups. once you start changing pickups, you'll start to look at swapping the TRS out for an Edge and so on, so forth not worth the hassle and trouble IMO... the JS1000 would be a better long term investment
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 05:20 AM

please dont get a JS100 i made that mistake with the idea to chop and change pups and bridge, i ended up (after realizing the mistake i had made) gettin a 2nd hand js1000 its soooooooo much better.

check the ibanez rules banner at the top of the page
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 07:08 AM

do not get a JS100. It's not worth it.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:12 AM

OK let's be realistic guys !

Sure the JS1000 is better. No question. Sure the Lo TRS II is badder then the low Pro Edge. But consider what I did for my first guitar years ago :

1. Got a JS100 new, way cheaper then a 1000 and managed even to get it cheaper then an RG550.

2. OK, one thing IS true, the stock pickups on this guitar suck REALLY too much. So I swapped them for Seymour Duncans Pearly Gates on the Neck and TB6 on the Bridge.

3. had it setup completely and nicley by a pro.

Results :

1. The sound is amazing with the new pickups ! Really. Plus the coil tap that lets you split the hum¨buckers, yummy with those SD in there, It is really and definitely an amazingly good sounding guitar now.

2. It DOESN'T get out of tune if you have the TRS II set up really profesionnally by a luthier. I can dive bomb, loosen all the strings, get back, not out of tune. BUT I dmit that for severe whammy abuse (Vai stuff) the TRSII kinda sucks because it is too stif, the Lo Pro Edge I have on my moded RG is way better. BUT again, if you don't consider yourself a serious whammy wanker, and how many out there are really using the whammys to their full extent, consider the JS100, with the new pikups and good setup it's definitely a good place to start for. And the translucend red, is just a marveilous colour for me !

So please, guys, I undersaynd ALL of the weaknesses of this Korean models (etc ...) I have myself an RG with Evos and Low Pro, played JEMS etc ... I know the stuff. But in my opinion, posts like "don't get it" don't help the initial poster really much .... post "argumented" (you don't say that in english, heh ? just wondering) replies, guys, no offence intended.

OK, the biggest issue people gonna flame me about is the price. I can hear all of you screaming "he you'd be better of for the same price with an S or an RG550 and mod it". Here I must disagree !

That depends on the country you're in, that depends on what special offers some stores make from time to time, so must check it out first. As I said I got my JS100 new under the price of a RG550 and the additional cost of pickups, I also had when I modded my RG ... And how many guitars in that price range have the Humbucker split features, which IS really nice.

OK, I don't wan tto sound pissed off or anything at people flaming the JS100, people shall buy what the want and be happy, but I think should use more "discernments" when advising other people. Me too, I am not telling people the JS100 is the best guitar, I don't force them to buy one, I just wanted to make some information available to the initial poster.

Anyway gotta go back and mod my RG some more (thinkng about a new colour, and a cheap place to do that in Paris, France ... hmmmm).

Cheers evrybody, and happy new year (kinda late, sorry)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:20 AM

Just forgot one point :

Considering buying a used JS1000 or a used RG ... well, sure it is a good way to go if :

1. You're not a beginner and know your way round the instrument, so you don't get screwed in the first place buying a guitar second hand with fatal backbow, weak electronics, poor frets, or other flaws, without any return warranty ...

2. Find one ... that may be way easy in the States and I envy you guys for that, I'd love to buy a used JEM myself but here again in Paris, France, there's NO WAY to find a used JS1000 or JEM for even a decent price !!! God, ther's this one store selling a years old DY in bad shape, used (obvisously) for 1500 euros (that's 1500 dollars too !!!!!!)

So in France (at least Paris) second-hand market for guitars is not a cool way to wander on ....) IMO.

prost
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:41 AM

i remeber when i came on here asking about js100's i was kinda pissed off at everyone flaming it and i simpathise with this feeling (trust me ). But as one jemsiter said to me "its hard to polish a sh*t".

i think maybe the main point here is that getting a js1000 used works out much better for now and the future costs.

coz think about it even if you do get the js100 at a good price you still have to shell out on upgrades and then you WILL want a better guitar eventualy.

i have played js100's which suposidly sound and play as good and even better than a js1000 and when you play them and then a js1000 after its Laughable

get a 2nd hand js1000 and if you cant afford it strait away, save up trust me its worth the wait.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 02:46 AM

that's true, the JS100 is a fine instrument but at that price, you can do better. i believe the cost difference is what, about $400 or so? if you were to upgrade the pickups and the trem, that would already set you off maybe $150 - 200 or so. just add that little extra and invest in a better instrument which will definitely last longer, or get a second hand JS1000 (of course, get one that is in GOOD condition ) - it works out to be much better in terms of value in the long run, not to mention you are getting one of the best instruments ibanez makes!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys, I think, I have to figure out something to save up for over the summer lol...I think Im gonna shoot for a JS1000, Preferably JS1000WH, I played satchs back stage(wasnt really saposed to) and it was sooooooo sweet...

I just like JEMs too, and I like the JPM ibanez's so...I donno, I might end up saving up all summer, and see how much money i come up with and go from there.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstrat86
Preferably JS1000WH, I played satchs back stage(wasnt really saposed to) and it was sooooooo sweet...

??

maybe you can get it used. cheaper.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:30 AM

wow how on earth did you get back stage to his guitars? that's amazing!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Reviews: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstrat86
I played satchs back stage(wasnt really saposed to) and it was sooooooo sweet...
Hey dude, where were you when his Pearly was stolen?

I'd go for a used JS1000, or I'd wait and buy a new one. IMHO the JS100 is not worth it for the price they sell it in Holland. And I heard such bad stuff about that guitar that I do not even dare looking at it.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:21 AM

yeah, i agree that the JS100 is not worth its price, which i think is in the US$600 range, brand new. But if you get it used, then i'd say go for it. They go for about US$300 on evilbay.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 11:16 AM

Reviews: 2
Hahhahaha.. EvilBay..
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 06:09 PM

Yeah, it's not so much that the JS-100 is really a horrible guitar, because it's not... For the price, you can do a LOT worse. It's a very comfortable, attractive body shape, the pickups are no worse than anything else in the price range, and the trem is decent- no worse than most liscensed Floyd designs. It's just not nearly in the same league as its big brother... If you can swing for a 1000, do so... but if you can't, and a JS is rEALLY the way you want to go, then it's nothing to be ashamed of. I mean, i'm sure Joe could make them both sound incredible, no?

-Drew

Tags
body shape , bridge pickup , coil tap , evo bridge , john petrucci , paf pro , pro edge , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , sounding guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode