JS100 Chromeboy replica - may be picking this up - thoughts? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

JS100 Chromeboy replica - may be picking this up - thoughts? (PICS UPDATE!!)

Good day folks - It looks like I will be picking up this:

(Hmmm I cant inline links yet....)

Just search the detroit craigslist for chrome satriani - and you will see the chrome JS100.

Not at that price though... we are doing a part cash part trade deal that seems mutually beneficial.

I wasnt in the market for a Chromeboy.. I was looking for a JS100 and this popped up.. I was shocked at how good it looks.

I've been in contact with the seller quite a bit today - he got it used at GC about 10 years ago.. its a korean JS100 that was modded. Headstock is chromed as well.. He has sent me better pics and it looks very, very good.

So - Just wondering - as I'm new to the JS line. What should I be looking out for when I go see this tonight?

I've done a lot of work on my own guitars, including some floyd work in the past... But other than the general stuff like neck straightness, buzzing, etc...

anything to worry about?

Last edited by Escher; 02-14-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Title changed..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: JS100 Chromeboy replica - may be picking this up - thoughts?

Ok.. its mine - I'm in love.. Perfect setup, no issues..
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM

Happy NGD!
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I wish I could post pics!!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Lets see if this works now...

Pics from the seller... I'll take more this weekend..

sorry - post pad... Have mercy on me... only 1 more to go..
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

photo 1 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

photo 2 by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Reviews: 18

That looks pretty good! I would Find out where the chrome work was done for reference. The only thing I would change is the trem on that guitar. Get a chromed Gotoh Floyd and it should drop in without issues.

Congrats!

Jimmy
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Very cool - thanks for the info!

Edit - Question for you folks- Currently the setup on this is stock - I generally play 10's... I know the floyd will have to be reset, but how well do the JS100's respond to 10's? I would assume it wont be a problem, but thought I should at least check...

I will say, I hadn't expected the neck to be as wide as it is... its noticeably different as I'm used to playing LP's - it feels like an acoustic neck almost.

Last edited by Escher; 02-14-2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added question
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
That looks pretty good! I would Find out where the chrome work was done for reference. The only thing I would change is the trem on that guitar. Get a chromed Gotoh Floyd and it should drop in without issues.

Congrats!

Jimmy
It really does look good! i would be interested in the chrome work details as well. My JS100 (bought used) is doing OK with its Edge Pro II for now, but Gotoh bridge is on the list of things to change if I get to keep it. I may have to route the cavity a little to make it fit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Very cool - thanks for the info!

Edit - Question for you folks- Currently the setup on this is stock - I generally play 10's... I know the floyd will have to be reset, but how well do the JS100's respond to 10's? I would assume it wont be a problem, but thought I should at least check...

I will say, I hadn't expected the neck to be as wide as it is... its noticeably different as I'm used to playing LP's - it feels like an acoustic neck almost.
Original TRS should also fit to the cavity on your guitar and I'm sure you wouldn't want to route the cavity with all that chrome to make the Gotoh fit (even though the amount to be routed is less than an eight ).

Also if you change the bridge, don't forget to keep the shims under the saddles, Gotoh bridge radius is 360 mm, compared to JS fretboard radius of 250 mm.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
It really does look good! i would be interested in the chrome work details as well.

Well - It appears the previous owner is a member here... after more research - he actually posted this guitar for sale last month.

He had the work done at Coat of Chrome in PA it would appear... after looking into it some more - it looks like they even have pics of this actual guitar on their web-site during the chrome process (toward the bottom - the only ibanez - three pics):

http://www.coatofchrome.com/page6.php

and the process is shown on the next page:
http://www.coatofchrome.com/page6.php?aa=0&si0=6

Looks like they use a special base coat to prep for the silver metallized spray.

It's been chromed and then clear coated - from what I read on their web-page.

Edit: Cool - I just sent them an email asking for more info as I have the guitar on their website. I'll let you know what the response is. I love getting full history about my guitars!

Last edited by Escher; 02-14-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: More info..
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 PM

That is cool as hell man. HNGD. Wonder how much that process costs... I think I need a chromed lobster....
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Dang, it is very tempting. They do look very nice. There is a paint shop here in Richmond that has a sign "we chrome anything". Next time I am on that side of town I am stopping and asking.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat.Mike View Post
That is cool as hell man. HNGD. Wonder how much that process costs... I think I need a chromed lobster....
I asked them a while ago and I believe he said around $650 for a guitar/headstock.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM

I did a little research on chromeboys some time back with the vintage market peoples who took >100 grand from me!

It looks good as long as they solved the cracking/crazing issues that plagued many chrome like guitars. Basically with the long term view of caution (I collected for decades), like the blue hued guitars with lacquer (which can turn green over time with exposure to light), is to keep the chrome boys away from light and environmental changes. Even relatively hearty cherry sunburst finishes can fade over time due to light and a faded 1960 Les Paul could be $100K with a non-faded one possibly bringing in ten times that if it's almost never seen the light and is almost a "strawberry sunburst" as some of those 1960s appeared to be. Some say none are known to exist publicly in 2014. Those types of guitars; blues, cherry sunbursts, and chromeboys, deserve to live in flight case. While it may not make a difference in one year, as guitars like that become rare due to low numbers and aging, their value in mint condition goes up exponentially.

If the chromeboy is aftermarket, then enjoy it and use it like crazy, but if it's factory then protect it like it will be a 1960 Les Paul one day. I don't know how you could aftermarket the chrome headstock though but if so, then they are very, very good.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-16-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Yeah that Coat of Chrome looks nice. I considered doing it to a JS700 several years ago. Decided not to spend the $$ but I think it was in that $500-$600 range.

Tags
js100 chromeboy replica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode