JS100 + DiMarzio Evolution - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

JS100 + DiMarzio Evolution

Hi, this is my first time posting on this website.
I have recently bought myself a JS100, yes i know its a cheap version, but its the only one i could afford since i live in South Africa, and everything here is expensive. I also had to order DiMarzio pickups from America because the suppliers in South Africa decided to stop bringing them in and selling them, so i ordered myself 1 DiMarzio Evolution pickup for the neck, and 1 Evolution for the bridge. Now i am a little worried, was this a good choice in pickups, or should I rather have gone for the Paf Joe and Paf Fred. Will the sound of my JS100 still sound good? I am also running it through a Marshall MG 100watt DSL amp, also not the best, but its fine for me, I also have the Boss Metal Zone pedal and a Korg Toneworks AX100G multi-effects pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 PM

Re: JS100 + DiMarzio Evolution

I had a JS 100 with a pair of Evo's !

It sounded great, but a bit too cold for me...
I was not really happy with the split sound (the level was defintely too low...)

So I sold it...

But I'm not fond of Evo's even on JEMs so maybe it's just because I don't really like this pups on any guitar
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

what do u mean by split sound?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

what are these F Spacings on the pickups? are they important, Cuz the neck pickups is F Spaced and the bridge pickup is normal spaced? does this matter, will i still be able to put them in?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:21 PM

the bridge will need to be f spaced i think
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Split is when you pull the tone button on your JS : you split de humbuckers for them to play like single coils
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Is there any1 that is certain, becuz then i need to ship my pickups back to America and have them replaced????
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 07:30 PM

F-spaced neck pick-ups can be ordered, but are not very common. Mostly your neck is normally spaced and your bridge is F-spaced (for Floyd Rose type setups_.

Got to Dimarzio.com and check out the frequent ask questions. Answers should be in there.

As you say you have F-spaced neck and normal spaced bridge.....what I think is unlikely......you might wanna swap out the bridge and neck pup.

And did you read the reviews on www.harmony-central.com (or so) on these type of pickups??? Seem like you ordered something you weren't even sure of how, what and when.

There is tons of info on pickups available........Most people don't like the Evo in the neck. It;s nice Bridge pup though (if you like that kinda sound).....
Most people want from their JS style guitar....a JS type of sound. If you want Steve Vai type of sound (hence Evo's)......why not go for RG or Jem style guitar......and some don't care and want Vai style sound from JS style guitar......hence....ordering Evo in the US.....

Again....it;s al what you're after.....and if you did get the wrong pick-ups....you might wanna should email to dimarzio and ask if you can change bridge to neck and neck to bridge......or swap them all together for new good set.

Again. Do your research....cause to me it sounds, you order something without really knowing properly what you ordered.

And then again......even the best informed buying must send some pups back, cause they sound different then expected.........

Good luck.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 08:55 PM

doesnt dimarzio let u swap em for free for the first 30 days? or is that just for the US?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Do you think it could they could have made a mistake with the packaging, maybe the Neck pickup is the normal spacing and the Bridge pickup is F-Spaced, maybe they bymistake switched the pickups around?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 04:28 AM

Bit late maybe but i have to point out that i just replaced the pick ups on my JS 100, and they should both be F-spaced. Personally i can't findf anything but F-spaced dimarzios in my local music store.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:14 AM

i also read somewhere here that F-spaced or not, the difference between them is too small to be distinguish by many.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:18 PM

F-spacing is purely cosmetic...a non-F-spaced pickup will sound fine in any guitar as far as I know.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 PM

It is true that the tonal difference is so negligible as to be inaudible, but all JS guitars come with f spaced, though some early Jems had standard spacing.

Tags
boss metal zone , bridge pickup , bridge pup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , floyd rose , local music store , music store , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck pup , paf joe , spaced pickup , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode