js100 fret issues - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

js100 fret issues

Hello. I have a js100 with some ISSUES! (big surprise there) Anyway I think that the frets are not level. I have buzzing on open B string and alot around the 12th fret and all the way down to the 15th fret. I really can't get the action as low as I deem "playable" (under 2mm would be astounding). Should I take this thing to a shop and get it fixed? What needs to be done? Leveling/Crown/Dress? And If I get the frets fixed could I get the action good and low and get back to "shredding"??? How much better will this repair make my js? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Re: js100 fret issues

Nobody???
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 1

Bring the guitar to a qualified and trusted tech. They will tell you exactly what needs to be doen and, if they do it right, you will be able to get the action lower.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

well it took it to a shop today and the dude at the counters says the tech is actually there. so he proceeded to take him the guitar to diagnose it. he comes back with it not 2 minutes later and says that the bridge is putting stress on the neck and thats why its buzzing. (never heard that one before) so he says the guitar just needs a "proper" setup. he charges me for a tremolo setup. the tremolo is actually blocked but whatever. so i hope this fixes my guitar!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
the bridge is putting stress on the neck and thats why its buzzing. (never heard that one before)
If you haven't heard "it" before, I'd be suspicious of the tech's skills.

I've owned a lot of guitars in my lifetime and I've never heard a bad set-up diagnosis described like that. The bridge doesn't put any stress on the neck. The strings and truss do that. Whenever a tech told me something I didn't understand or thought was B.S., I would make them explain things to me before they proceeded to work on it. That way I could tell if I just didn't know something or if they were really trying to pull one over on me. Remember, you don't need a license or certificate to work on guitars. I've seen the aftermath of less-than-knowledgeable guitar techs and I still wake up screaming at night occasionally.

I always get new guitars (as in new to me) gone over and set-up as needed (fret level, neck tweak, whatever is necessary to make them play as well as they can) in case there are any inherent problems (bad neck) so I can catch them quickly.

Even if you don't want to do your own set-up work, you can usually find resources on the net or via books that will let you diagnose what's up with a guitar. From the description you gave, it's hard to tell but the open B string buzz doesn't sound as simple as a neck tweak but it's hard to tell. The lower your action is to begin with, the more likely it is that minor issues with fret level will become noticeable.

Good luck.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
If you haven't heard "it" before, I'd be suspicious of the tech's skills.

The bridge doesn't put any stress on the neck. The strings and truss do that.
Well I do all of my tech work (until now). But he said the bridge needed to be set up correctly and it was "making a hump in the neck". (never heard of that either) I hope the "hump" he mentioned isn't the necks relief! I'm sorry but this reminds me of this episode of Seinfeld!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdRBWNkyaP4
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE! I went to another shop this morning and informed them of my situation. The wife of the owner informed me that the shop that currently is working on my guitar doesnt know alot about guitar work. She showed me where she sends all of her guitars that need fret work. The site quoted a fret leveling job as $125. Thats way too much for me. What is the norm for a fret leveling? btw, the shop that is working on mine said it was close to 70 dollars for a fret leveling.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
Well I do all of my tech work (until now). But he said the bridge needed to be set up correctly and it was "making a hump in the neck". (never heard of that either) I hope the "hump" he mentioned isn't the necks relief! I'm sorry but this reminds me of this episode of Seinfeld!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdRBWNkyaP4
this is comical..
you need to find a GOOD tech who is familiar with floating trems.
ive had a guitar (ibanez) that did develop a hump in the neck at about the 12th on the bass side.
the solution was remove all frets, level fingerboard and re-fret.
it was down to the horrible piece of wood that ibanez had used for the neck.
it was the type of piece that I would have pondered to use as a headstock or firewood

so anyway, it could be that, when you 'sight' along the length of the board is there a decent curve of relief or is it up and down along its length ?

Last edited by Jaden; 12-05-2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

completely flat
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

i lied its about a 1\2 mm of relief.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE, i went back to the guitar shop today and it was done. All the guy did was raise the action. The action was much higher than it was before (about 3mm). I told the tech I was dissatisfied and i wanted it lower. he said that it was standard height. I told him that i have 3 other guitars with action around 1.5 mm. he said that was CRAZY low. He said that the neck was level but when i gave him the guitar it buzzed everywhere. so he said he will try to get it lower but he was doubtful. he said that leveling the frets would mess up the intonation. WTF
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

should i just take this thing somewhere else?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Vendor

Absolutely take your guitar back, this guy is incompetent at best.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think so, if he cant get the action lower than 3mm. wow. I Told him that I could raise the action myself and save 60 bucks.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
+1000

Tags
fret crowning , fret leveling , js100 , plaxico burress

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode