JS100 Lo TRS II swap - Definitive Answer - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

JS100 Lo TRS II swap - Definitive Answer

I have read through roughly 8 pages of threads on the topic of swapping out Tremolo's on a JS100 Lo TRS II (bolt right in no extra work), yet have not seen a definitive answer, nor anything being backed up with pictures.

I've read the OFR goes right into the post no changes, still no pictures or success story threads. Should be a sticky thread on this with pictures etc with how many threads are started.

I am about to begin to swap out Pickups, and do a paint job on the JS100 and before I paint it Id like to know a tremolo I could drop in as well with NO need to modify the guitars body also will I have to set my pickups way out? As in will it change my action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM

Re: JS100 Lo TRS II swap - Definitive Answer

I will agree that there is a lot of (mis)information on this topic and it takes a lot of weeding through to figure out what works and what doesn't work. I just swapped my Lo-TRS II for a Lo-TRS in my JS100. Drop in replacement. Low action. Same profile. No need to route or replace the studs (unless you want to).

The Gotoh GE1996 was the one I routinely saw referenced due to a couple youtube videos showing that you CAN drop it in however he did end up replacing the studs (and thus, redrilling the holes) and also routing the guitar due to the different layout of the string block screws extending out the back of the trem versus in front of the fine-tuners (versus buying a shorter screw?).

Here's my guitar upgrade. Notice how the trem fits the existing cavity perfectly. http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f17/my...-a-130122.html
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM

Reviews: 2

There are definitive answers..... they're just hard to find.

The Gotoh GE1996T is what you want.

http://www.g-gotoh.com/international...roduct=ge1996t

Video proof that it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV05UunaCDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmFXVHdtyzM
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Jamvan Thanks so much for your reply. Its exactly what I needed.
I have read that the Lo Trs Orig is better. Thanks so much I had never thought to just go that route. Ive read you had to add some shims to make it match up. How easy is this to do? Also just ordered my Cosmo Black hardware, and I will be taking the body in soon to my shop and have my paint department paint it with Nissan Maxima Pearl White! Excited.

And to RGTFan, I have seen that video for one bc its the only one out! But he does end up replacing post and edging out the bridge.

Last edited by Wookiekrisps; 01-01-2014 at 04:43 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiekrisps View Post
Jamvan Thanks so much for your reply. Its exactly what I needed.
I have read that the Lo Trs Orig is better. Thanks so much I had never thought to just go that route. Ive read you had to add some shims to make it match up. How easy is this to do? Also just ordered my Cosmo Black hardware, and I will be taking the body in soon to my shop and have my paint department paint it with Nissan Maxima Pearl White! Excited.

And to RGTFan, I have seen that video for one bc its the only one out! But he does end up replacing post and edging out the bridge.
Replacing the trem posts and anchors is completely optional. Although I highly recommend it, it's not necessary to make any Gotoh or TRS bridge work properly. The guy in the vid upgraded the original posts to the lockers that are supplied with the 1996. If you were to use Ibanez locking studs and anchors you wont have clearance problems with the string lock screws.

The guy in the vid also made several "rookie" mistakes. I only pointed you to the vid to show that the 1996 is a direct drop in and a major upgrade the the Lo-TRS II.

FWIW, I would advise upgrading to locking posts with a Lo-TRS or TRS-101 as well.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

What about action height. I noticed his pick ups were pushed out pretty far.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
What about action height. I noticed his pick ups were pushed out pretty far.
Again, that's just a preference. The 1996 can go as deep into the route as the original.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

ok, what is the benefit of a Lo Trs over a Lo Trs 2?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
ok, what is the benefit of a Lo Trs over a Lo Trs 2?
Lo TRS is made in Japan out of higher quality metal so the trem edges don't wear out like the cheapo pot metal ones do...

The block is good size and the trem arm screws right into it making for a sturdy connection without any sloppy play in it...

It's basically better quality over all and will keep your guitar in tune, sound a little better, sustain a little longer, and not fall apart in a week of heavy playing...

BTW I have one if you're interested

Here's some pics to compare your II with:

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Lo TRS is made in Japan out of higher quality metal so the trem edges don't wear out like the cheapo pot metal ones do...

The block is good size and the trem arm screws right into it making for a sturdy connection without any sloppy play in it...

It's basically better quality over all and will keep your guitar in tune, sound a little better, sustain a little longer, and not fall apart in a week of heavy playing...

BTW I have one if you're interested

Here's some pics to compare your II with:

This^^^^

The (Japanese)Takeuchi TRS variants (TRS-101 and Lo-TRS) are exactly on par with a German OFR. The knife edge's are hardened enough to not wear out with use. The (korean) TRSII does not have the same hardeness of edges which is why they wear out as bad as they do.

This is a quick, interesting read about the takeuchi's with info straight from JD.

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/disc...tml?1085352110

In a nutshell, The Japanese TRS trems are excellent units with a reputation that has been destroyed by the Korean units. Upgrading to a TRS-101/Lo-TRS and installing locking studs will give you better than OFR results. The 1996 is also a great kit because it gives you the studs/anchors and a heavier brass trem block.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

I again, want to thank those who posted. Your replies have helped me tremendously
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I again, want to thank those who posted. Your replies have helped me tremendously
Anytime man..... just keep us all posted on your mods!!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Anytime man..... just keep us all posted on your mods!!
For sure keep us updated with lots of pics man... I want to see what my trem looks like in a JS
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

I will let me take some photos of her in current state and post them. Most of the Hardware will be here by next week, by the time the tremolo comes in it will have been painted.

The Dimarzio PAF Pro, and Mo Joe came in today. Getting excited, and its already consuming my mind!!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 AM

Regarding the trem shim, Wookikrisps, it was a bit of trial and error as I admittedly didn't take the time to research it to the degree I likely should have. What I did research and learn is that the trem blocks should be shimmed in pairs with the outer two E strings shimmed the same, the A-B strings shimmed the same and the D-G strings shimmed the same.

I purchased several different sizes (005, 008, 010, 012) and tried different shims until I no longer received any fret buzz. The JS100 has a 250mm (9.8") radius neck. I believe I ended up with the E strings with 008 shim, the A-B strings with 010 and the D-G with 012. Those that know how to do this will likely correct and tell you the proper way to do this to achieve better results as I'm not super finicky about action but that's what I ended up doing. There was a lot of fret buzz on the D-G strings and very noticeable on the other strings without any shims so it does need to be shimmed to achieve the action you are looking for.

I hope it works and I look forward to seeing your pics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode