js100 and the mo joe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
js100 and the mo joe

Hi i finally decided to join as this website seems pretty cool and useful.
I wanted to ask what people think of the mo joe compared to the js100's stock pickups.Is it worth buying?

I would quite like that satch sound but would this pickup hold its own say if you were playing guitar with someone who had a jem?
and i know this is not a heavy metal pickup but is it alright at playing low, distorted powerchords?

I will be grateful for any help on this subject.

from dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: js100 and the mo joe

The Mojoe will hold it's own and it would most certainly represent an upgrade.
It has the same professional build of the EVO's in the JEM. The Mojoe is a clear and articulate pup that will give you Satch sounds but can also do lots of other stuff too. Playing with your amp settings or an external EQ will give you any metal tones you need as well.
You might also want to consider Breed's, which I believe Vai has in his Basswood guitars, or some of the John Petrucci pickups depending on your playing style. Those are on the same level of build quality and are really just different flavors of tone. It all comes down to what tones you're after. If you play a lot of Satch, I'd go with the Mojo or Fred, no question.
In any case, upgrade from those Axis pos's.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.I just wanted to know because whenever i play guitar with my guitar teacher his sound is more in your face and its hard to compete with his sound.
thanks for the help smooth55.

dan
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM

A lot of that is EQ and where you're sitting in relation to the speakers. If you're having trouble being heard when both amps are facing you at similar volumes, bump your mids a little. I would put more stock in the EQ and what sorts of drive you're using than I would in the pickups.
That said, the MoJoe will be much clearer and tighter with a little more volume output which will help it to cut through compared to the Axis stock pickups.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again smooth55. So you think all in all its worth paying £70 for the mo' joe pickup?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Compared to the stock Axis pickups, it's worth the upgrade. It won't make you a better player and you will have to re-EQ your amp and any pedals you use for the new pickups. The MoJoe is, without question, superior to the stock JS100 pickups. You might want to consider going with the set and getting the PAF Joe if you're looking for Joe's sound or some other name brand pickup for that neck position. You'll definitely notice the difference don't swap out the neck but put the MoJoe in there and you'll likely never use the neck positions....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help Smooth55.I will probably use this site again as it seems very helpful.

thanks from dan

Tags
js100 , mo joe pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode