JS100 Pickup Suggestions? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

JS100 Pickup Suggestions?

Hi all, I recently got a JS100 (basswood, locking trem in case anyone didn't know) and I really love how it plays, looks, feels, etc, but the pickups are just so dull and lifeless without any feel to them. I'm looking at a plethora of new pickups, and I'm leaning towards Dimarzio's, but I'm open to suggestions, and please try to make those suggestions under $90 or so (I unfortunately can't afford BareKnuckle's) and it would be preferable if they were available at Guitar Center because I have credit there. I play a variety of music, but it tends to center around a Relient K, Switchfoot, Boston, Scorpions, All American Rejects, so it's alternative/rock/alternative-punk/ classic rock sort of thing. I need crunch, but also smoothness, but also harmonics for solos. I also need at least one of the pickups to be able to clean up really well with smooth/ glassy cleans for church worship music. I want fullness because I can't stand pickups that are too thin/ tinny/ overly trebly, but I also don't want a thundering bass-y pickup. It basically needs to be a versatile pickup set, because I basically play everything except jazz/ blues or heavy metal/ thrash. I usually don't play with both pickups at the same time ( iddle of the pickup switch) so they can be very opposite pickups as long as one isn't noticeably louder than the other when I switch pickups. I know this seems like a really specific (and possibly impossible) request, but if anyone can help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Re: JS100 Pickup Suggestions?

Doing research, I'm leaning towards a Norton in the bridge and a Paf Joe in the neck, but still would like some suggestions to support or change this decision. Especially not sure about the Paf Joe because I don't don't require a Satch tone even though I like the flying/creamy solo tones it has.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Contributor

the pat joe is a really good pickup. I highly recommend it. Not just for playing Satriani stuff. I use it in an alternative rock band and it sounds great.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDemon View Post
the pat joe is a really good pickup. I highly recommend it. Not just for playing Satriani stuff. I use it in an alternative rock band and it sounds great.
Ok thanks Any experience with the Norton?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 03:28 PM

Seconded the Paf Joe (or Paf Pro) and Air Norton, or you could go with the classic JS set up which is Fred on the bridge and Paf Pro on the neck, but honestly with the cost of the new pick ups and the money you could get by selling your Js100 you're getting really close on the price of a second hand JS1000, which is what i would do.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 AM

I went for a combo for versatility leaning on the heavy side on my JS100.

Dimarzio Air Norton on the neck and a Bill Lawrence L-500XL on the bridge.

Air Norton is a really full round sound, very warm and rich for clean, creamy for over drive and solos.

The L-500XL has a nice tight and thick response to overdrive, cleans are chimey and bright and it offers great reception to harmonics and playing dynamics.

A great sounding combo that covers all ranges, I've kept it in my JS100 ever since.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 6

For what you want, I can tell by experience that the paf joe or paf pro will fit much better than the air norton. The air norton seems too smooth, too damped and doesn't really has a rock and roll vibe. I've tested the air norton, the joe and the pro in the same neck slot of 2 guitars and with the same wirings, I sold the air norton quickly...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 04:49 AM
Banned

try a sh4 but it's a bad guitar with bad tremolo

buy another guitar
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 AM

No need to buy another guitar. If you like how the JS-100 plays then keep it. I have a JS-100 and a JS-1 and the necks are different and I prefer the neck on the JS-100. Down the road you can always swap out the trem if you need too.

Anyways, I have switched out pickups in my JS-100 previously. I had breeds in there but they were to muddy to my liking. I recently put in an air norton in neck and steve's special in bridge. So far I am not noticing much difference in the air norton verses a paf pro. But the steve's special seems to be very articulate and plenty powerful.

You should also look at the Fred. It is a great pickup with plenty of power and great harmonics.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post

You should also look at the Fred. It is a great pickup with plenty of power and great harmonics.
Yeah i was pleasantly surprised with the Fred when i first played my JS, amazing pick up in the bridge.

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez , j100 , joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode