JS100 question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

JS100 question

I have been lusting for a JS model for years and consider the high end ones way out of reach of the working poor like me. Been doing some research on the JS100, as I see them go for relatively low prices from time to time. Thinking about starting with a cheaper JS100 to see if I really like the feel.

I see a lot of people upgrading the tremolo and pickups... is that all it takes to get one sorted out?

Is there a "best" year or time frame, like Korean vs Indo, as far as overall quality?

Would I be better off to just save my money and get a higher end JS model?

Any advice from the people who know JS guitars would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM

Re: JS100 question

By the time you get a JS100 + Pickups + trem you've bought yourself a JS1000.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Contributor

I agree. If you're gonna get a JS100 just get a JS100. If you have more money to spend on it, just get a JS1000, you can find them used for really great prices.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 PM

Buy a 540r. I have a JS1200 and I like the old 540r's just as much if not more. Same body shape, edge tremolo, and i like the radius neck profile even better than the JS prestige neck. You should be able to get one for JS100 money.

Last edited by pwsusi; 07-31-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I have been lusting for a JS model for years and consider the high end ones way out of reach of the working poor like me. Been doing some research on the JS100, as I see them go for relatively low prices from time to time. Thinking about starting with a cheaper JS100 to see if I really like the feel.

I see a lot of people upgrading the tremolo and pickups... is that all it takes to get one sorted out?

Is there a "best" year or time frame, like Korean vs Indo, as far as overall quality?

Would I be better off to just save my money and get a higher end JS model?

Any advice from the people who know JS guitars would be appreciated!
I have a 2005 Korean built JS-100 (Edge Pro II bridge), and a JS2400, and the neck on the JS100 is slightly thicker than the Japanese built one. Overall build quality is much better on the 2400 as one would expect and there are differences in body contours as well (and I'm not talking about the differences because of the 22 vs 24 fret changes either).

Like others, I also recommend to be on the look out for a JS1000. I know they can be had for around $650 through GC's used section.

As far as your question about "period", i believe the Korean built ones are generally preferred and even though I have no firsthand experience with Lo-TRS II and Edge III bridges, I'm happy with the Edge Pro II. I'm not a heavy trem user and haven't had any tuning issues so far. I was lucky though, I got a 2005 year model with barely a pick scratch.

Still, I think I should have saved a bit more for the real thing. Especially after getting my Japanese made JS.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info... Yes, I've seen JS1000's go for in the $600-700 range on ebay, looking at completed listings. Who knows... maybe I could save up enough over time. I was looking at completed auctions for JS100's and some went below $200. Thats what got me to thinking about them. A $200 guitar, a used MIJ Lo-TRS tremolo (or stick with original and add a tremsetter), and eventually a couple DiMarzio's... So for around $400 or slightly more I might be able to get a decent player JS100 put together.

I don't have any experience with the Edge Pro II or Lo-TRS II, but I had an Edge III that I blocked off eventually. I don't use a trem that much either, but some of that probably comes from having guitars with poor quality tremolos.

I didn't know what other differences there were, aside form different hardware and pickups. I actually prefer a fatter neck... so ???

Thanks again for all the help... given me more to think about! Might have to look at the 540r too though.... hmmm.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:16 PM

Yeah, if you can get one under 200, it might be an option. the neck on the JS100 is just under a mm thicker than the Japanese JS. I would check GC website for used JSs though. there is a 1000 for 650 right now in "fair" condition.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
Yeah, if you can get one under 200, it might be an option. the neck on the JS100 is just under a mm thicker than the Japanese JS. I would check GC website for used JSs though. there is a 1000 for 650 right now in "fair" condition.
The more I think about it... saving up a couple hundred more $$ and getting a JS1000 would probably be a better option. Quality guitar from the start, plus I could get my money back out of it if I ever sold it. The JS100 would never be sold for the money I put into it.

I just have a hard time saving up money for something big... I get halfway there and see something else I need!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The more I think about it... saving up a couple hundred more $$ and getting a JS1000 would probably be a better option. Quality guitar from the start, plus I could get my money back out of it if I ever sold it. The JS100 would never be sold for the money I put into it.

I just have a hard time saving up money for something big... I get halfway there and see something else I need!
the bolded part is the exact reason why I still have my JS 100 . I bought it used, and I didn't even put a single dime in it, save strings
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
the bolded part is the exact reason why I still have my JS 100 . I bought it used, and I didn't even put a single dime in it, save strings
Thats too bad... especially for a signature guitar, even if it is on the low end. When I saw that several had sold for under $200 on ebay I was shocked and excited to buy one... but now I'm looking at it from the seller's side.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Thats too bad... especially for a signature guitar, even if it is on the low end. When I saw that several had sold for under $200 on ebay I was shocked and excited to buy one... but now I'm looking at it from the seller's side.
I know! It just doesn't make a financial sense to own one as you cannot sell it. There is a poor soul here in DC craigslist trying to sell it for at least 9 months with no activity. He has EMGs in that thing though, maybe it's putting the potential buyers off.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:

You're better off spending the extra money and buying what you want the first time. Otherwise down the road you'll probably regret it, sell what you had originally bought and then go out and buy what you originally wanted. Usually when this happens you end up spending more money than you would have in the first place if you just bought what you wanted. Ask me how i know LOL.

I still think though you should go try out a radius
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know! It just doesn't make a financial sense to own one as you cannot sell it. There is a poor soul here in DC craigslist trying to sell it for at least 9 months with no activity. He has EMGs in that thing though, maybe it's putting the potential buyers off.
I'm sure it's even tougher to sell a modified or even non-pristine one. I think it's a good thing that I got on here and talked to you guys before buying one!

Quote:
You're better off spending the extra money and buying what you want the first time. Otherwise down the road you'll probably regret it, sell what you had originally bought and then go out and buy what you originally wanted. Usually when this happens you end up spending more money than you would have in the first place if you just bought what you wanted. Ask me how i know LOL.

I still think though you should go try out a radius
Yeah, thats a lesson I've learned more than once, unfortunately... But I am learning finally!

I did look around for a Radius... not too many around! Found a low priced one on ebay, but it's kind of beat up. Otrherwise, what differences are there between the JS models? Fretboard radius and neck?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Radiu...item3a94e23f0a
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
Buy a 540r. I have a JS1200 and I like the old 540r's just as much if not more. Same body shape, edge tremolo, and i like the radius neck profile even better than the JS prestige neck. You should be able to get one for JS100 money.

540Rs are AMAZING. LOVE the Radius neck so much. I'm still eyeing one right now actually, still deciding whether I want the HH or the HSS type, but I think I'm leaning towards the HH.

I've played a JS 700 or 900 (forgot which) and a 540R. The Radius destroyed the JS imo. Just such a WONDERFUL feel.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 07:01 AM

The JS100 is a very different guitar than the JS100.
A JS100 has a thicker neck and the body is a different shape too.
I like the JEM style input jack on the JS1000/1200/2400 much better.

Tags
js100 ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode