JS1000 and adding springs?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

JS1000 and adding springs??

Hey everyone whats happenin! Just got a JS1000 and got it set up but I notice that it comes with 3 springs and only 3 holes to mount the other ends of the springs besides 2 screw holes if you take that metal plate off thats fastened over top the needle end of the springs. I restrung the guitar with 11-52's and when I do a hard bend the other strings go a touch flat. So I think I need to add two more springs and its got the hooks for the loop side of the springs but only 3 little holes for the hook side on the other side. any suggestions?? Thanks a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 AM

Re: JS1000 and adding springs??

I cut a winding or two off the springs on all my Ibanez guitars to compensate for extra string tension. That way I don't need more than three springs fighting me when I push down on the whammy bar. I've noticed the more springs you have the less likely the trem will return to the same position and the guitar won't be in tune as much. New springs need a workout to break them in anyway. If they don't get a break in, they won't return to the same place either and you'l need to shake the whammy bar a little to get it back in tune. Also I don't have to drive the screws really far in to the body either.
Just bend the last winding down after you cut the spring so it can hang on to the claw again.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastone View Post
Hey everyone whats happenin! Just got a JS1000 and got it set up but I notice that it comes with 3 springs and only 3 holes to mount the other ends of the springs besides 2 screw holes if you take that metal plate off thats fastened over top the needle end of the springs. I restrung the guitar with 11-52's and when I do a hard bend the other strings go a touch flat. So I think I need to add two more springs and its got the hooks for the loop side of the springs but only 3 little holes for the hook side on the other side. any suggestions?? Thanks a lot!!
dude 11s are stupid put 9,s on it and go to ibanezrules tech setup .
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Contributor

No string gauge is stupid if you set up the guitar properly and it feels and sounds good to you. I agree that generally one goes with nines on JS guitars, but honestly, whatever works, however if you go heavier then you should have it properly set up to account for the difference
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
dude 11s are stupid put 9,s on it and go to ibanezrules tech setup .
11's are stupid? try 13s in standard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The trem block only has holes for 3 springs? Go get 10 posts so we can see pics...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM

On guitars with a fully floating trem, the other strings will always go flat when bending a string, it's just the nature of the beast. You can set the guitar up to dive only (using a piece of wood or a Tremol-no), but you will lose the ability to raise pitch with the trem. You could also try something like the Hipshot Tremsetter, which will reduce the amount the other strings go flat, but will give the trem a stiffer feel.

If you want add more springs, you'll need to remove the "Block Lock" (that flat piece held on with the two screws), and anchor the springs in the screw holes. It's not really necessary (I don't think you can pull up on the trem far enough to get the springs to pop out), but it is convenient to have when removing the trem for maintenance.

Tags
add , guitar , ibanez , js1000 , springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode